Upcoming hysterectomy 3/14: Is dizziness a symptom of large fibroids? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 3/14: Is dizziness a symptom of large fibroids? Upcoming hysterectomy 3/14: Is dizziness a symptom of large fibroids?

Unread 03-08-2017, 10:30 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 3/14: Is dizziness a symptom of large fibroids?

Hello,
I have my hysterectomy scheduled for next week. I have very large fibroids, both doctors have been surprised by their size. I have read about all the symptoms off fibroids and dizziness is not one of them. I pretty much have all the others. I am wondering if I am just anxious about the upcoming surgery or if this is a complication I should be worried about. I don't want to be one of those patients that calls for every new issue, so I thought I would start here. Thanks for any thoughts you have. And might I add how wonderful it was to find this site. It's benefit has been immeasurable for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2017, 01:58 PM
Re: Is dizziness a symptom of large fibroids?

Hello ann12

We are so happy that you found us!

Fibroids add that extra challenge for the body to compensate for. While any heavy monthly flows occur, there might be that clotting that occurs as well. At times we might not realize how long they have been there yet the simply discovery makes a surprising impact. I am not sure what kind of cycles you have, but from the heavy blood loss, there are chances of becoming anemic. You could feel lethargic, experience weakness, and in some cases could have that lightheadedness/dizzy feeling.

I had my LAVH after having many years of super heavy cycles along with an oddly positioned fibroid. I can remember telling my doctor after each cycle that it felt like the life was draining right out of me. After surgery and with the blood work they do as you are in the hospital, they indicated that I was anemic and needed to take some iron supplements.

You might not want to be one of those patients that calls about every issue, however, I’d call your doctor and explain what you are feeling and ask simply for peace of mind. I remember calling my doctor's office and speaking with the nurse so many times that we knew each other by the sounds of our voices.

You are worth it it sweetie and you should have a clear idea of the things that happen before and after surgery.

Also, get your resting spot ready. Ponder any meals that you can make then freeze ahead of time. Do something fun for you before surgery as healing is going to take some time.

Please know that there are sisters that have been or are going through the same things you are.

The sisters are here. Never fear!

Unread 03-08-2017, 07:54 PM

I had a grapefruit-sized fibroid and two smaller ones which were detected. (My doctor lost count at 15 during surgery!) I did not have any dizziness as a result of them - my "cycle" which was hardly regular would be very heavy, but even so, no dizziness. You might be dealing with low blood pressure, iron levels... I agree with Lisa to run it by your doctor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2017, 08:04 PM

Lisa Rene gave you some great ideas and advice. Shortly before my surgery, my anxiety level was through the roof. So much so, that I wasn't eating properly because I had no appetite. This made me hypoglycemic which can make you dizzy. Dizziness can come from a variety of sources. I think it's best that you call your Dr to make him/her aware of how you're feeling so they can determine if they need to check you out.
Unread 03-09-2017, 06:00 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 3/14: Is dizziness a symptom of large fibroids?

I have my surgery coming up 3/17, have big fibroids, and have dizziness off and on. So, I feel ya
Unread 03-09-2017, 06:38 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 3/14: Is dizziness a symptom of large fibroids?

I had large fibroids and I was often lightheaded and dizzy due to severe anemia from heavy bleeding.
Unread 03-18-2017, 10:15 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 3/14: Is dizziness a symptom of large fibroids?

Ladies,

Thank you so much for your wise advise and recommendations. You made me realize that the doctor does this all the time and this is my one and only time so I have the right to ask about everything. Turned out I was severely anemic and we were able to deal with it before the surgery so there weren't added complications. My love and blessings to all you lovely ladies.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register