Looking for help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Looking for help Looking for help

Unread 08-05-2002, 05:18 PM
Looking for help

Hi, I just found all of you and was hopeing you could help me..
I have been having slight bleeding since july3... i have been
to my dr... and she did a vaginal ultrasound..said my thickiness was .8 and a Endro-biopsy... which came back inclusive... she placed me on
Protreium <sp> for 14 days and then off 14 days.... I have
been on the pills for 14 days.. and off for 5 ....

My symptoms are still the same... spotting or bleeding
every day... but not to a great degree... cramping off and on

She believes it perimenapause.. however.. i am worried
SHe has been my dr for 15 yrs.. and has always done
right by me... Should i request/demand a D&C??

Please give me some feedback? and suggestions...
i am clueless.. and wondering if i am just being a baby?

thanks , cheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2002, 11:07 PM
Looking for help

If the symptoms continue i would definitely ask for a D and C. I was told I was at such a low risk for uterine cancer....I am 44, healthy weight, 3 healthy pregnancies, etc....but I was having longer, heavier periods and some spotting mid cycle. I told my gyn and she thought it was probably perimenopause, but said on my next visit if I was still doing it she would do a sono. She thought she found a polyp, which would need to be removed. We scheduled a histoscope and d and c and much to all of our surprise she found a stage 1 endometrium cancer. Thank God it was at an early stage. Within a week I had a hysterectomy and am well on my way to recovery.
Again, if you feel that a d and c would be to your best interest. Then ask for one. The d and c was a piece of cake. I felt fine physically the next day.
Unread 08-06-2002, 04:38 AM
Looking for help

HI CHER,
I ALSO HAD THE SAME SYPTOMS YOU ARE EXPERIENCING, THEY GAVE ME A D & C.
THE RESULTS CAME BACK AS ENDO CANCER , STAGE I VERY EARLY.
IF THIS PERSISTS, I WOULD CERTAINLY SUGGEST A D & C AS A PAP ALONE DOES NOT SHOW THIS KIND OF CANCER.
IF YOUR D & C COMES BACK O.K., THAN YOU WILL FEEL MUCH BETTER KNOWING WHAT YOUR DEALNG WITH AND YA WON'T HAVE THIS WORRY ALL THE TIME.
BEST OF LUCK, LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2002, 03:38 AM
Looking for help

Hi Cheryl,

Firstly, if you had an endo biopsy that should have picked up any cancer cells. (It is not always possible to do this in the doctor's office if the neck of the womb is too tightly closed and then a D&C is often necessary)

Were you told that the lining of your womb is too thick? (I am not sure what .8 means!) Please read the following extract from a web site:-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Any woman with bleeding after the menopause or abnormal bleeding must see a gynaecologist urgently. A smear test is always done but this may be negative even if there is cancer. The gynaecologist may manage to get a sample of tissue from inside the womb in the clinic. An ultrasound scan may arranged to measure the thickness of the lining of the womb. If this is less than 4mm cancer is unlikely. More likely, an examination of the lining of the womb with a fine telescope (hysteroscopy) and sampling of the lining of the womb (D & C) will be arranged. This may be done as a day case operation under general anaesthetic or in the clinic under local anaesthetic.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If the lining of your womb is too thick then you may have a condition called endometrial hyperplasia. (See http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1680.51528) This can be treated with hormones. Be careful though - it can sometimes lead on to cancer, so you should be checked again after treatment to see that all has returned to normal (something that never happened for me!!!)

I think you need to ask your doctor some more questions and to find out if the lining of your womb is thicker than 4mm. If it isn't, then I wouldn't worry too much - especially as your endo biopsy didn't detect any cancer cells.

Unread 08-13-2002, 06:57 AM
Looking for help

s Cheryl

I recently read Fran Dreschler's (the Nanny) book about her uterine cancer. After years of being misdiagnosed she had a D & C. Hence, the cancer diagnosis. The doc that performed her D & C felt strongly that for any prolonged bleeding a D & C is necessary and should be done sooner rather than later. If I were you, I'd demand one. Even if I had to switch docs.
Keep in touch.

karenann
Unread 08-19-2002, 09:13 AM
Looking for help

Hi, I'll add my hat into the ring too. I'm 42 and had been having pelvic pain for about a yr (endometriosis). But a couple months ago had midcycle spotting (very little - but it was there). We did transvaginal ultrasound and saw what looked to be an endometrial polyp vs atypical fibroid. I insisted we do a D and C when they were doing the laprascope/hystoscope for the abd pain. Figured while I'm under do it all... We were shocked to find the D & C come back + for endo CA. (I have zero risk factors). 6 days later I had TAH/BSO, appendectomy, omentectomy, lymph node dissection. Came back Stage 1A grade 1. No chemo or rad needed.
Based on my personal experience, for me requesting the D and C was a good idea. I figured whatever came out I'd have the piece of mind of knowing.
Wishing you the best, Judymk

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register