not sure what to expect when i wake up | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

not sure what to expect when i wake up not sure what to expect when i wake up

Unread 08-05-2002, 06:02 PM
not sure what to expect when i wake up

Hi,
I am new, this is a wonderful site. I feel better from the one i have read in the last 2 hours.
My question, well one of them is I am to have a total hystercetomy and both my ovaries removed. I have read lots of books that say I will hit surgerical menopause. when they do this type of surgery do they give hormones right away? Or will I be a basket case before I will get them? Any help would be greatful. ALso since the are taking everything out will recovery take longer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2002, 06:16 PM
Kballer

WELCOME to the site hun.
I can not help you too much with the surgical menopause thing as I still have my left ovary.
I am now 9 months post from a lavh/rso andbladder repair. I feel wonderful to say the least. I do not need any type of hormones as I still have the one ovary. There will be others along soon who will be able to help with that more. From what I have learnt it is very individual wether you will go straight into menopaue or not. I know that the ladies who have had their hyst because of endeo that hormones are held off for a few weeks. I think alot depends on your own DR.
As for revoery taking longer, no I do not think it will take longer because you have had everything out. Recovery should be given at least 6 to 8 weeks anyway no matter what. Recovery should also be a time of plenty of rest and no overdoing things. My recovery took a little longer because of a complication, but now I feel great. some heal quicker than others, we are all different. Remember healing is not just physical but also gives us time to emotionally and mentally adjust to all that has happend. Take care and all the best. Hugs Vicki aka smilie
Unread 08-05-2002, 06:40 PM
What to expect...........

It is very hard to tell you what to expect, we are all different. I'm 2 weeks post op from a TAH/BSO...they gave me the patch on the third day, night before I left. Incision almost all closed up, no more gas, still on stool softeners & prunes(highly recomended!!!)Still take big naps, doing hardly anything but take it easy. Some posts say you can go into surg. meno. within hours of the oper., others say it can be weeks, so it can be anything in between. You will have to see, this is new for all of us at this time!!!Keep in touch, you will find tremendous support & lots of info here. My Dr. hardly gave me any info, to her I was another in a long, long line of surgeries (and I very appreciated her skill in that area!!!), so this is where I learned what I now know & boy, am I glad. Be well, the waiting is the hardest part.....they were all right about that too!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2002, 06:42 PM
What to expect?

Well, I guess everyone and doctor is different, but my doctor gave me the Estriol patch. I had no effects at all. I put the patch on the day after I got home (last Wednesday) and I've worn it ever since. I did not need it while in the hospital even though both my ovaries were removed. We discussed all this before surgery, so I hope you'll ask your doctor too. I told him I preferred something not synthetic, so my hormone patch is made with Mexican Yam rather than synthetically. He prefers patches because he said that one can never be sure of dosage orally because each persons digestive system is different.

That's just my experience in the last 7 days. Love, Janet LAVH/BSO
Unread 08-05-2002, 06:43 PM

Since I just recently had my surgery I don't have much advice. But I wanted to let you know that it sounds like your having the same as I had done. They had immediately started me on a estrogen patch following surgery.

I am now on this, I guess for the rest of my life. I wear a small patch patch on my stomache area that I need to change 2 times a week.

Good luck on your surgery.
Unread 08-05-2002, 06:49 PM

Hi K,

I am a :LIW: in waiting as well and also appreciate this site very much. My DH is a HysterSIster Widower. I agree with everyone else so far that each case is different. I am worried as well.

I'm taking Lupron right now and hope that it will ease me into menopause after surgery. Well at least I know what to expect because I'm having hot flashes etc already. It has been 3 months and I hate lupron pretty much. Hasn't helped a lick as far as I can see except for making th epain constant and throwin gin migraines, hotflashes and hair loss. :MAD:

We shall see we shall see. Hang in there K.

Love,

Hippo, AKA Betsy, AKA Willowwand
Unread 08-05-2002, 07:22 PM

My Dr. gave me a shot of something in the hospital, and also put me on ERT (estrogen replacement therapy) as well. I had a some hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and brain fog. I have changed hormones, and upped the dose. I feel much better now.

Each Dr. is different, as is each patient. Ask what your Dr. will do for you. Yes, you will enter instant menopause if the Dr. takes your ovaries. But the symptoms of that can be controlled. My Dr. said he likes to start ERT immediately, just to make it easier on his patients. We are already stressed enough with recovering from major surgery!

Good luck!
Unread 08-05-2002, 07:41 PM

Hi Kris,
Welcome to Hystersisters! Through the postings on this board I found a helpful site on surgical menopause. It is www.geocities.com/NoLinks/ You might want to go there for some information. When I was dismissed from the hospital I was given a prescription for a patch (which I like.) Some Drs start HRT immediately and others wait. It partially depends on why you are having a hysterectomy. You will go through much anxiety during the next few weeks. The waiting period is the hardest time. Keep coming back to the boards and finding support. As for recovery time it will be the same. The most important thing is take care of yourself.

Shirley TAH_BSO

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register