Cervical Cancer.... getting ready to have hysterectomy - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervical Cancer.... getting ready to have hysterectomy Cervical Cancer.... getting ready to have hysterectomy

Unread 08-24-2002, 06:37 AM
Cervical Cancer.... getting ready to have hysterectomy

Hi Laurie.
I was reading your post this morning and your story hit home with me. I am 29 with no children yet and I'm following in the same path as you....but I have not yet gotten my results back from the cone. I had my cone done Wednesday of this past week and hope to get results back Monday. I want children more than anything so my doc and I discussed other options to avoid a hysterectomy if possible. I'll know more Monday I guess.
Have you been able to get some answers from your doctor on your situation? What is going on with you? Hope all is well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2002, 08:07 AM

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I, too, have the same diagnosis and had surgery on April 3rd. My story sounds exactly like yours. I was in shock too after being told I had invasive cancer after a cone biopsy. It IS shocking and scary. After my radical hysterectomy and lymph node dissection, they found the lymph nodes were clear, and my stage was determined to be at 1b. The hysterectomy was my treatment, and no radiation therapy or chemo since the lymph nodes were not involved. I just go for PAP smears of the vaginal wall every 3 months now.

I had to wait six weeks after the cone biopsy before having surgery and was reassured by my GYN/ONC that nothing would grow further in that time frame. They wait this long so you can heal from the cone biopsy to prevent excessive bleeding during the hysterectomy. The cure is in the high 90's in the early stages I was told. I also looked up this info on the cancer.gov web page.

I would recommend having this surgery done by a GYN/ONC, even if you have to travel to another area for this surgery. They have so much more experience. My regular OB/GYN is a wonderful surgeon, but even he said he would not do this surgery and referred me to someone with expertise in this area. I do, however, follow-up with my own doctor and the GYN/ONC doctor (they alternate with my 3 month check ups!).

Keep your chin up. Be positive...it really helps to have a positive outlook. I did a lot of imagery/meditation prior to my surgery, and I really think it helped a lot!

Sending lots of 's your way. 's your way too, Melby.
Unread 08-27-2002, 06:42 PM

I just wanted to also say that even if you have to go to a major medical center somewhere else, you should really be under the care of a GYN/ONC. Oncologists specialize in cancer and have seen so many cases and are the best source of knowledge for the latest available treatments. The care is much more specialized and comprehensive.

Also, I think that many women with cervical cancer have a radical hysterectomy, which is much more involved than the "standard job." Your bladder gets moved around a lot, extra margins of tissue are removed, and as someone else pointed out, lymph nodes are usually removed (28 in my case). Of course, the more involved the procedure, the more chance for problems -- my regular GYN made it clear that you want someone with much experience to perform this type of surgery.

Please let us know how you are doing and what stage your cancer is.

Joanie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register