Hysteroscopic Myomectomy surgery incomplete due to fluid loss | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysteroscopic Myomectomy surgery incomplete due to fluid loss Hysteroscopic Myomectomy surgery incomplete due to fluid loss

Unread 03-20-2017, 03:53 AM
Hysteroscopic Myomectomy surgery incomplete due to fluid loss

Hi

Thank you for the wonderful information on this forum and site.

I had surgery today for 2 medium fibroids along with issues such as dysmenorrhea and menorrhagia for well over a year (don't know why I put up with it for so long as I ended up not being able to go out a lot etc. At my worst on days 1 and 2 I was going through a super tampon and overnight sanitary every 20 to 30 mins which then slowed down to hourly and then 90 minutes.One of my last periods went for 19 days. Ended up having IV iron infusions in January and February due to my very low iron and feritin levels (wondered why I was so tired). That's my brief history. Oh, I am 47 BTW (not perimenopausal at this stage) and got told I look 37 - I'll gladly take that any day

Surgery was going to involve a D&C, Myomectomy using Myosure method and insertion of a Mirena IUD.

Surgeon was able to do D&C, 90% of one fibroid and only 40% of the second fibroid as he had to end the surgery due to Glycine fluid loss of 900ml (absorbed/travelled into my system) which had started to negatively affect my oxygen sat levels (Glycine was the medium he used to distend my uterus).

Totally understand why he stopped there as I certainly did not want to end up with fluid in my lungs or excess going to my brain.
Can't remember everything he said after the surgery in recovery (wish they would wait until you were a bit more coherent.....!!).

Ended up having to stay an extra 2 hours in recovery due to this and some flooding after the surgery. Grateful I always react well to anaesthetic, though.

I have my follow-up appt with the surgeon on 4/4/17.
I am guessing that it will be a 'wait and watch' scenario with options such as going back to get the rest of the other fibroid or a hysterectomy if my symptoms come back just as bad or worse.
Not sure what he said about the IUD - wasn't awake enough at that point.

So, not much more I can do until 4/4/17 when I see him.

Has anyone else had this happen?
If so, what was your experience?

Glad I have somewhere I can go where I can talk about this with others who understand.

Cheers
Julieann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2017, 09:44 AM
Re: Hysteroscopic Myomectomy surgery incomplete due to fluid loss

You might ask for a referral to an interventional radiologist to see if you're a candidate for Uterine Artery Embolization/Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UAE/UFE). Usually a hysteroscopic myomectomy is a very short easy procedure - too bad they couldn't get the second fibroid. UAE/UFE will shrink the fibroid over time and it also reduces periods. I used to have really heavy periods and now they are light/normal, and my large fibroids have shrunk a lot.
Unread 03-20-2017, 02:55 PM
Hysteroscopic Myomectomy surgery incomplete due to fluid loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by playacalor View Post
You might ask for a referral to an interventional radiologist to see if you're a candidate for Uterine Artery Embolization/Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UAE/UFE). Usually a hysteroscopic myomectomy is a very short easy procedure - too bad they couldn't get the second fibroid. UAE/UFE will shrink the fibroid over time and it also reduces periods. I used to have really heavy periods and now they are light/normal, and my large fibroids have shrunk a lot.
Thanks Playacolor. I wiil keep that in mind when I see him in 2 weeks as it's on his website that this is a treatment option. I will listen to what he says and see what the pathology results are.
Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2017, 04:36 AM
Re: Hysteroscopic Myomectomy surgery incomplete due to fluid loss

So, have my follow-up on 4/4 but had to ring surgeon on 23/3 due to excess bleeding. Due to having to stop surgery part way through for my own safety, will need a second surgery - which is okay with me - totally trust my surgeon.
Will go back and remove the remainder of the other fibroid (that is causing current issues) and looks like I will have an endometrial ablation instead of Mirena IUD.
Will discuss further with surgeon on 4/4.
Good news is that all samples taken from fibroid tissue and endometrial tissue are clear of cancer - which is fantastic!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register