lupron | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-15-2002, 06:19 AM
lupron

Since so many women have questions concerning lupron, I thought I would give a weekly report of my experience on it. My dr wanted me to take the shots for three months in order to improve bleeding and to make the hys easier. He said he can't say whether or how much the lupron will shrink the giant fibroids, tho there is a chance the fibroids will shrink down enough for a vaginal, tho unlikely. It's been one week Wed, and.....absolutely nothing. No symptoms of any kind that I can blame on lupron. Tho, and this may be just a coincidence, I don't have to pee as much. Maybe there is a vein pushing on my bladder...I can't imagine the lupron has shrunk the giant fibroids as of yet.

And the hip shot for the drug was painless. I'd had a bad experience in the past when in the military with a hip shot that caught a nerve. I am taking calcium and doing weight bearing exercises. Hopefully that will keep my bones from thinning! I'd love to hear from anyone else with less than negative experiences with lupron. Most people here seem to have had bad experiences. I was a bit apprehensive about the treatment. Well, take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2002, 06:37 AM
lupron

Hi!

I did the lupron treatment for six months in 1996. That was after my first surgery for endo. I had no problems with the treatment at all. I actually had a couple of years where I wasn't in agony for three weeks a month. I was surprised when I read about all the negative results other women experienced, I myself thought is was a wonder drug, and no period to boot! I hope it all works out as well for you too!
Unread 08-15-2002, 03:29 PM
lupron

I also have had a good experience with Lupron. I was very apprehensive initially. the first 2 wks were the worst when all my symptoms increased ( Apparently it raises hormone levels and then drops them). After that I had greatly reduced pain and pressure in pelvis, no bleeding since 1st of June, better moods, no pms, and I don't have to pee as often.

I am scheduled for LSH next Friday 8-23. The only side effect I had was some hot flashes which were not bad and much better than all the other symptoms I was having before Lupron.

I too hate to see it get such a bad reputation. I was able to go on vacation in July and had a great time . Would not have been possible without Lupron.

Sally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2002, 05:07 PM
lupron

I had my first Lupron shot a few weeks ago.

I had worked myself up about getting it, so I told the nurse I was nervous about the shot, luckily she was very caring, and helped calm me down. When she gave it to me, I said "That's it?"

I didn't have any bad side effects, and did notice that I don't go to the bathroom as much since the shot.

I am scheduled for another shot next Thursday, so at least I'll know what to expect and won't be so nervous about it.

Good luck to you with yours.
Unread 08-16-2002, 06:11 AM
lupron

I had three injections of Lupron to help shrink fibroids to make surgery easier, and to stop the horrid bleeding I was having. It didn't stop the bleeding (I was one of those who continued to bleed, although it eventually tapered off as I headed into surgery LOL) but it did a GREAT job of shrinking the fibroids. I could tell after the first month how much smaller the largest fibroid had gotten and my doctor was very pleased. It did a great job for me, and the only side effect I had was the hot flashes which as I recall didn't start until after the second shot. It also allowed me to have a horizontal incision, rather than a vertical.
Unread 08-16-2002, 06:28 AM
lupron

My experience has been different and I'm not sure why. I started taking the Lupron in May of this year. THe first two weeks wore very bad. I had cramping all the time to the point where I could do physical activity for about 10 minutes before I had to lay down.

So I waited and expected to feel better in 6 week which was what I was told. I took Advil and started having the hot flashes. The second shot and 6 weeks went by and my pain continually increased. My periods stopped which was nice.

In the middle of my third dose I asked for something more for the pain and started taking darvocet which worked for the cramping but not for the migraines that started to appear.

I am now in my 4th dose and I am going to refuse any more regardless of how much easier Lupron is supposed to make my surgery. My Dr. wanted me to stay on it until I had 6 doses but I cannot do it.

I wish it had worked for me.

Hippo
Unread 08-16-2002, 08:15 PM
lupron

I had 6 doses of Lupron prior to my LAVH on July 30th. It stopped my periods completely after one month, my hemoglobin climbed almost immediately, I had more energy than I had had in two years and I was able to have a vaginal hyst rather than abdominal because the Lupron allowed my fibroids to shrink from the size of a 5 month fetus to almost nothing. I did have severe hot flashes, sometimes many during an hour, and severe vaginal dryness with the Lupron and now am on HRT so this is slowly resolving. I just was so focused on my higher energy level and anxious to get to the place that I could get my surgery over, that I was willing to tolerate the side effects. The "no bleeding" was the best!
Unread 08-16-2002, 09:08 PM
lupron

I, too, have had positive results with the lupron, though they have been unpredictable. A headache that lasted for two days with my first injection, then a gradual improvement with my energy level over the next four weeks. My bleeding never completely stopped, though it was managable with no cramping or discomfort. I noticed I wasn't getting up in the middle of the night to pee any more, and hot flashes were no more than usual. I felt my tummy was shrinking a bit....but not lots. With my second month, no headache, no more shrinking belly, and and a variable energy level, bleeding same. Going for my third and final shot this week....the shots hurt less than a misquito bite.

FlossBoss

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register