Prolapsed uterus...(again ;) ) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Prolapsed uterus...(again ;) ) Prolapsed uterus...(again ;) )

Unread 08-16-2002, 11:59 PM
Prolapsed uterus...(again ;) )

Hi ladies! When I went to the Dr. the other day, he said when he examined me, that up to my cervix is only about 2 cm.... now, does this mean, that if I dont go with this hysterectomy, it will fall out? I wonder what could cause this. He said my difficult forcep delivery 2 1/2 yrs. ago had nothing to do with it...Any ideas??:confuse:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2002, 01:30 AM
Hi

Mrs. Irvin,

I can only tell you my experience and what my doc told me.
My uterus/cervix was hanging so low that I couldn't wear a tampon successfully and could easily feel the pressure from it in my vagina. The joke was then that if I bent over I could see my cervix. I found it to be very frustrating and when I would go for my gyn check ups the doc would tell me gravity and strain from childbirth had allowed my muscles to relax and not support the weight of my uterus. Eventually, I developed lengthy periods and in May at the age of 45 I had a tah/bso. The pathology report showed an enlarged uterus weighted down with fibroids, adenomyosis, and cysts on my drooping cervix. After surgery I immediately noticed the "light" feeling I had in my vagina and realized that that was the way I was supposed to feel all these years. I remember my dear grandmother at the age of 94 said there was a buldge down there so we took her to the doc and discovered that her cervix was so prolapsed it was hanging out of her vagina. She was too old to have anything done about it and told me once that she just pushed it back in! She was a sweetie! So.....that's my tale on the hanging uterus.

Warm wishes,
Lynn/Cappy in chat
Unread 08-17-2002, 07:56 AM

Hi MrsIrvin !!!!
Like Lynn I too had a prolapsed uterus/cervix that was so low that if I squatted I could see it in the mirror.
I had terrible back aches--worse around my period, a very heavy feeling down there and could not use tampons.
My dr had told me that it was probably due to 3 natural chilbirths but could not be sure.
He also told me if I did not have hyst with in time it would "fall" outside the vagina.
My mother in law had a prolapse so bad that she would push it back up on days when it really bothered her!
I am so happy I had this done, I had a tvh with repairs and a bladder tack on May 15th.
No backaches, no pain, pressure or best of all NOTHING HANGING OUT!!!!!
Best wishes to you!
's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2002, 11:57 AM

Hi all

I wish it were a joke, but my cervix actually WAS hanging out of my vagina before my hyst, and I did have to just "push it back in" every time I went to the bathroom. It's very funny to me now, but it sure was no laughing matter then.

When planning for the surgery I asked my DR what caused this prolapse. She said the main contributing factors are: a weak pelvic floor, which is hereditary (thanks again mom!), giving birth to large babies vaginally (I had two whoppers) and, the clincher, the hormone changes of menopause which can cause the ligaments holding up the uterus to loosen, allowing it to drop. She said I probably had something of a prolapse for a long time but it never really "let go" until the hormone changes.

You are a lot younger than I was (I'm 46), so I don't think you're in danger of anything "falling out" before your surgery (I see you're scheduled soon). It is true that if you do nothing, chances are that eventually it will fall further down and you might end up where I was. At that point, any straining or heavy lifting can cause it to fall right out. Not a pleasant prospect, to be sure.

Good luck! I'm sure you will feel much better after the surgery takes the pressure off your lower vagina... just like the rest of us do.

s,
-Linda
Unread 08-17-2002, 11:29 PM
Thanks..

Thanks so much, that answered my questions about the prolapsed uterus. I , too , cant use tampons. I thought I was 'big' down there from the vaginal birth of my son, and that is why when i tried to use one, it wouldnt stay in. I couldnt understand why it hurt while it was in there, tho.I am encouraged to know that I will feel lighter afterwards. It is so heavy down there, like I am getting ready to start my period 24/7. I am looking forward to feeling better!! Thanks so much for listening to my whining.. I guess I get on my DH's nerves!!He said to me today, "Everything in the world doesnt revolve around your uterus!" I wanted to smack him!!I hurt and whine I guess...but he is supposed to put up with that! (He is a bigger baby,beleive me!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register