looking for help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

looking for help looking for help

Unread 08-17-2002, 08:16 PM
looking for help

Hi, I'm new to the Hyster Sisters. On July 23, I had my ovaries, uterus and vagina removed, along with a large leiomyosarcoma tumor that was growing in my vagina. I'll start radiation in a couple of weeks.
I realize that transportation must be an issue for a lot of cancer patients, but by any chance, is there anyone recovered who makes the drive from Denton, TX, to Dallas regularly? My oncologist says I can drive, but the interstate is a little scary for me and my pillow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2002, 06:41 AM
looking for help

s RareOne

Sorry, I am in NJ. Not much help for rides in Texas. I do believe the American Cancer Society might be of help to you. Please check it out.
I hope you are healing well from your radical surgery.
Please feel free to visit up us often. We are great for support, venting and cyberhugs.

karenann
Unread 08-18-2002, 06:58 AM
Try Your Nearest Cancer Society

They may be able to arrange someone to help you get back and forth. I agree--Interstates scare me. I don't need to get on them here--whenever I do, it's not a good feeling. Is there an efficient non-interstate route you could take if you have to drive yourself? Can you schedule at a time of day to avoid the worst of the rush hour? I'd start with the local ACS and work from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2002, 07:04 AM
thanks!

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I did try the American Cancer Society but they had no volunteers able to make the long drive. Instead, I've paid a young friend of the family to drive me some days. A friend of my mother has driven me on others. Then I've been lucky enough to have a bunch of out-of-state visitors drive me. Currently, a friend has moved in with me for two months to drive and help in other ways. I'm so lucky to have these friends.
I did schedule my radiation when there's less traffic, and I did find a "kinder" route, but it adds about half an hour to the hour-long trip.
I do hope to visit the Land of Hyster more when my rear is not so scorched!
Unread 10-02-2002, 08:24 PM
looking for help

Hi RareOne!

I'm so glad you've been able to find some help in getting transportation to your treatments. That's certainly a relief to you I'm sure, you sure don't need that kind of added stress to everything.

I hope your treatments are going well and you won't experience too many side effects with your treatments.

Keep us posted on how things are going when you can.

{{hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register