8 months post hysterectomy - ovaries not functioning? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Natural Meno Post Hysterectomy - Kept Ovaries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8 months post hysterectomy - ovaries not functioning? 8 months post hysterectomy - ovaries not functioning?

Unread 03-30-2017, 05:00 PM
8 months post hysterectomy - ovaries not functioning?

Hi Ladies! I was wondering if any of you experienced ovaries not functioning well after hysterectomy? I am having the worst experience post hysterectomy. I believe I went into Peri- menopausal immediately after my surgery. I have been dealing with anxiety, depression, severe mood swings & many more awful symptoms. I started seeing a naturopath back in October, I was put on many supplements. The supplements did not help fast enough, she referred me to a psychiatrist, who placed me on a mood stabilizer until the supplements start helping. Three weeks ago, my naturopath put me on progesterone cream. My hormone tests revealed extremely low progesterone. I am seeing somewhat of an improvement but definitely no where near where I would like to be. My moods are still fluctuating pretty bad. I have to do a urine test to check my hormones & this time it says I need to do it 7 days after a positive ovulation test. I bought a box of fifty and down to the last 5, they have all been negative. I am assuming that my ovaries are not functioning? I had symptoms as if they were, turns out they found multiple cysts in both of my ovaries. Has anyone had any experience like I am having? It has been very scary going through this.
Thank you ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liannac View Post
Hi Ladies! I was wondering if any of you experienced ovaries not functioning well after hysterectomy? I am having the worst experience post hysterectomy. I believe I went into Peri- menopausal immediately after my surgery. I have been dealing with anxiety, depression, severe mood swings & many more awful symptoms. I started seeing a naturopath back in October, I was put on many supplements. The supplements did not help fast enough, she referred me to a psychiatrist, who placed me on a mood stabilizer until the supplements start helping. Three weeks ago, my naturopath put me on progesterone cream. My hormone tests revealed extremely low progesterone. I am seeing somewhat of an improvement but definitely no where near where I would like to be. My moods are still fluctuating pretty bad. I have to do a urine test to check my hormones & this time it says I need to do it 7 days after a positive ovulation test. I bought a box of fifty and down to the last 5, they have all been negative. I am assuming that my ovaries are not functioning? I had symptoms as if they were, turns out they found multiple cysts in both of my ovaries. Has anyone had any experience like I am having? It has been very scary going through this.
Thank you ladies!
I had my hysterectomy on August 26, 2016 and for about eight months I was good but I recently started experiencing severe anxiety in which I went and saw the doctor she told me I was suffering peri-menopause and she prescribed a low-dose anxiety medicine because of just feeling off not like myself and you're right it is very scary I'm hoping that this medicine works and once I'm through menopause I can go off it but I think I know exactly what your feeling, mine just started so I don't have relief yet but I'm praying and believing for it!
Unread 04-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Re: 8 months post hysterectomy - ovaries not functioning?

I had my surgery in October and kept both ovaries. I have been experiencing perimenopause since my surgery. Some days my emotions are crazy, get tired easily, I talked with my doctor and all she said is that I have entered premenopause. I will be getting some blood work done next week. Not much help, but just wanting to say you are not alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2017, 07:12 PM

6 months after my hysterectomy I had to have both ovaries removed. They had ceased functioning and one had a huge cyst . I had to start estrogen almost as soon as the surgery was over.
So yes you could easily be having issues with your ovaries, why not see a GYN. instead of these other docs?
Unread 04-10-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tansey View Post
6 months after my hysterectomy I had to have both ovaries removed. They had ceased functioning and one had a huge cyst . I had to start estrogen almost as soon as the surgery was over.
So yes you could easily be having issues with your ovaries, why not see a GYN. instead of these other docs?
Seen my gyn & she had absolutely no answers :/ she thought it was all in my head. I was so disappointed, she referred me to my primary doc to get on anti depressants. I have done so much research & I went the bio identical hormones route,Waiting for results,
I had my estrogen & progesterone tested. I'm extremely low on progesterone & a bit on the high side on estrogen. There has been alot of research on estrogen dominance.
I have seen some improvement but not where I would like to be.
Unread 04-11-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Thank you ladies!
Yes, I can totally relate, 3 days post op and I knew something was wrong, after blood test were done my TSH levels showed that the one ovary I had left had failed. So after an awful 6 weeks of menopause symptoms I started taking climara estrogen patches and I feel great, the best I've felt in 20 tears. My fibromyalgia had even improved, no more headaches, swollen breasts, sweating, sleeplessness, nausea and I'm even exercising by doing daily walks. I'm now 3 months post op and don't regret getting it done. Not sure why you are on progesterone but estrogen would help you
Unread 04-11-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLM78 View Post
Yes, I can totally relate, 3 days post op and I knew something was wrong, after blood test were done my TSH levels showed that the one ovary I had left had failed. So after an awful 6 weeks of menopause symptoms I started taking climara estrogen patches and I feel great, the best I've felt in 20 tears. My fibromyalgia had even improved, no more headaches, swollen breasts, sweating, sleeplessness, nausea and I'm even exercising by doing daily walks. I'm now 3 months post op and don't regret getting it done. Not sure why you are on progesterone but estrogen would help you
I would totally try it except it would be trial & error. I have had blood, urine & saliva testing which revealed estrogen levels being too high. If I take more, my symptoms could worsen. It does help some ladies but I don't want to risk it. I will follow up with you ladies to let you know how I'm doing on progesterone cream, doc just increased it today. I am going the bio identical hormone route
Unread 04-11-2017, 01:37 PM

I'd find a new Gyn.
anyone who would send you to a psych after a hysterectomy and knowing the ovaries could fail is not a very good gyn. It is fairly common to have issues with the ovaries if left after a hysterectomy.
best to you and locate a new gyn.
Unread 10-31-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Seen my gyn & she had absolutely no answers :/ she thought it was all in my head. I was so disappointed, she referred me to my primary doc to get on anti depressants. I have done so much research & I went the bio identical hormones route,Waiting for results,
I had my estrogen & progesterone tested. I'm extremely low on progesterone & a bit on the high side on estrogen. There has been alot of research on estrogen dominance.
I have seen some improvement but not where I would like to be.

In same boat as you. What do you take and how long now and have you gotten better yet ? I been on hrt 6 months trying to figure out right amt for me. It's so frustrating
Unread 11-01-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary6381 View Post
In same boat as you. What do you take and how long now and have you gotten better yet ? I been on hrt 6 months trying to figure out right amt for me. It's so frustrating
It’s been about eight months. I’m using progesterone and testosterone cream. A lot of symptoms have settled, only thing I’m dealing with is a depressed and weepy feeling. Working on resolving that. I do take several supplements also. I see a naturopathic doc. I also have been on a mood stabilizer. My doctor is going to up the meds if I’m still feeling this way in a few weeks.
I agree, it’s very frustrating! I sometimes regret even having the surgery. It’s been a scary experience. I hope you find what works for you.
God bless!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register