Help . . . new to all this | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help . . . new to all this Help . . . new to all this

Unread 08-18-2002, 02:24 PM
Help . . . new to all this

Hi -

I was diagnosed with uterine cancer a week ago. Have had tests done (MRI, Ultrasound, Catscan, Xray, Blood work) thankfully everything looks good so it seems that the cancer was caught early. I am having a second opinion tomorrow (the first being that my treatment would be a hysterectomy or a riskier alternative - suppress the cancer until I have a baby - the cancer was found during fertility testing - and then have the hysterectomy). The baby issue is not a concern as my DH and I were planning on adopting also. I am getting a second opinion tomorrow and would like to know if anyone has a list of ?'s to ask my doctor.

Thanks so so very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2002, 03:04 PM

s Milanns

Welcome to Hyster Sisters and Cancer Concerns. I am truly sorry you need us, but I know you'll find this forum very helpful. My cancer was ovarian. But be patient and I know some uterine cancer sisters will be here.
It's great that you are getting a second opinion. Are you aware of the docs known as gyn oncology doctors. They are truly the experts when it comes to gyn cancers. Please consider consulting with one of them, if you are not already. Keep in touch. Best wishes.

karenann
Unread 08-18-2002, 04:32 PM

I was diagnosed in July with stage 1a endometrial cancer. I am 44 and it was totally un-expected so I know how you feel. I have read on this site and others that if the baby thing is an issue there are some alternatives to surgery..I think they said a deep d and c, have the child and then get the hyst...this is typically a slow growing cancer.
First and foremost.....GO to a gyn/onc/surgeon.....they have the training and experience to know what the best course of action for you is....Also, I found that my gyn/onc was much less invasive in his surgery technique than I think a reg. gyn would be. He knows from experience what to look for once into the hyst....like taking a look at other organs and lymph nodes. My surgeon was right on with his surgical observation...He told my dh that everything looked clean and clear and that is exactly what the path report showed.
I would ask what type of hyst you will get.
How long in the hospital
What type of pain management will he use (very important) the pump is great.
What options will you have for ERT
What to expect with follow ups
You can email me if you have any other ??s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2002, 06:58 PM

Hi, sorry to hear of your dx but it sounds like you have caught things really early. I too was just dx'd w/ endometrial CA and had the works removed 07/14/02 - pathology was stage 1A. no chemo or rad needed. But this is a scarey trip I know, hang in there - this web site has been a tremendous source of strength/info. Feel free to email and I wish you all the best! Judymk
Unread 08-19-2002, 01:11 AM

Hi Milanns,
I agree with Karen and the rest, don't waste time with regular gyns. See gyn/oncs. I am 47 and was dxed with endo. cancer. Some oncologists say progestins/hormones work 75% of the time to convert cells back to normal. another onc. said 50% chance. Both said it was a reasonable risk to take. but another gyn. said the medical establishment is very antsy about this concept. She said the only guarantee of no complications is to have the hyst.

I am trying Provera but am so nervous about it I may schedule a hyst just to have it over with.

Good luck. Feel free to email if I can be of help.

Judy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register