Question on ovarian cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question on ovarian cancer Question on ovarian cancer

Unread 08-19-2002, 12:59 AM
Question on ovarian cancer

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone with ovarian cancer was 1st diagnosed with endometrial cancer. My doctor said they have no way to screen for it so how do they find it?

Thank you.

Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2002, 06:07 AM
Hi Judy

I was diagnosed with ovarian alone. There is no screening yet--there is something promising coming in the pipeline for a couple years yet. Maybe. I think I heard some glitches in it. We have had women diagnosed during c-sections and when having an ultrasound during pregnancy. (One woman, another board, is carefully undergoing chemo during pregnancy.) It's not uncommon for ovarian to be mis-diagnosed for a while. Digestive problems are a common misdiagnosis, as ovarian can mimic those very well. Abnormal bleeding can be chalked up to menopause. Pap smears do not detect ovarian, unless it's spread there. The key is to be persistent at sumptoms: abdominal pressure, discomfort, or bloating; constipation or diarrhea; urinary frequency; nausea, indigestion or gas; abnormal bleeding; unusual fatigue; backache; shortness of breath; unexplained weight loss or gain. See how these point elsewhere? I was diagnosed because I had such bad abdominal pain it just hurt to get up out of bed or out of a chair--that rising motion pulled everything. Getting down into bed and a chair was also a problem. I also very well mimicked diverticulitis or losis. Women can't let these symptoms be dismissed--they have to know they can indicate ovarian and ask for a pelvic exam, and ultrasound. While not a screening tool and not the best pre-diagnosis indicator, since false positives and negatives abound, those tests plus a CA125 can point the way to ovarian cancer and CT scan can show spread.
Unread 08-19-2002, 06:34 AM

s Judy

The scenario you describe is probably pretty unusual. They are two distinctly different types of cancer. However ovarian cancer cells can be found all over the pelvis. You have endometrial cancer and are currently taking hormones as the treatment. I assume you have had some sort of endometrial biopsy done. If at some point you do have a TAH BSO performed, your ovaries will have a pathology work up as well. In the meantime Margaret did a great job of explaining various symptoms to you. If you feel you have some of those symptoms, you could request a vaginal ultrasound, CAT scan or ca125 to give a better picture of the ovarian situation. Hope this helps.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2002, 07:05 AM

Hi.

On april I was diagnoses with complex hyperplasia of endometrium and the doctor told me that the best thing todo was hysterectomy to remove only the uterus and leave the ovaries. so my operation was scheduled for may 3, during the operation he found a solid mass on the left ovary , he took it out and left the right ovary . Pathology results came back with a granulossa cell tumor, a low malignant ovarian cancer type tumor. This tumor didnt show up in any of the studies i had .
Unread 08-19-2002, 01:47 PM

Margaret, Thank you for your invaluable list of symptoms. Many of these I would just chalk up to something I ate. This makes me more sensitive. I have had abdominal swelling.

Karenann, I have had a D & C, MRI, ultrasound but no CT scan. If I miss my medication it feels like my ovaries are hurting. I am hoping I have been properly dxed. but then I see gloria's case...

Gloria, This is my fear, that they are telling me it is early endo. cancer and I will not be compromising my health to try progestins for 2-3 months, but in reality I could have something like you have. Do you mind if I ask what tests you were given?

Thank you so much everyone! I learn so much here.

Judy
Unread 08-19-2002, 02:00 PM

P.S. My CA-125 was 24 in June. I should have that redone although it doesn't work 20% of the time, right?
Unread 08-20-2002, 09:29 AM

Judy

I didnot have too many tests done since I was feeling ok, my only problem was that my menstrual period stopped, I did not have any pain, if the doctor give me pills the menstrual period will come if not I will not have it. He decided to do a hysterosalpingogram to look into my uterus , that showed like a polyp on my uterus and he decided to take it out and sent it to patologhy. The patologhy showed a pre-cancerous cells. He told me that he can give me pills treatment or a hysteroctomy and we decided to go for the hysteroctomy, not to take any chances. On may3 I had my hysteroctomy , the tumor on the left ovary didnt look malignat to him so he left the right ovary in , when the pathology came he sent my to an oncology who decided that i need the right ovary to be removed, so last week august 9 I had a second operation an exploratory laparotomy to remove my right ovary and take biopsies of different organs. Thanks GOD all my biposies came back negative.

I hope this helps you , but remember every body if different, I think the most important thing is to talk to your doctor about any doubts you may have
Unread 08-22-2002, 10:07 AM

Gloria,

Thank God it was okay! How frightening. You were smart to get the hysterectomy. That saved your life.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and Best wishes!

Judy
Unread 08-22-2002, 05:27 PM

Hi Judi..
I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in april of this year..Had a total hysterectomy and will be completing my LAST round of chemo
a week from next Thursday. Everything has been fine, am feeling great and my ca125 number is way down. If you have any questions on ovarian cancer maybe i can help.
Take care
Rosalie
Unread 08-22-2002, 09:21 PM

Hi Rosalie,

I am happy you are doing well! I was wondering how they caught it and what symptoms you felt. Any weight loss?

Thank you!

Judy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register