30 pound weight loss after TAH/BSO | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

30 pound weight loss after TAH/BSO 30 pound weight loss after TAH/BSO

Unread 08-19-2002, 08:48 AM
30 pound weight loss after TAH/BSO

Hi Princesses, I'm new to the site but have fallen in love with all the info, input and wonderful support! I had TAH/BSO, appendectomy, omentectomy and endo ablation 6 weeks ago for enometrial CA stage 1 and endometriosis. Was so nauseated I couldn't eat much at all for much of these 6 weeks. Consequently lost 30 lbs (from 195 to 165 at 5'6"), has anyone else had nausea? I'd appreciate any pearls to help me get through this, it's getting scarey and I'm sure I can't heal if the protein/calories aren't there. Thanks so much! Judymk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2002, 04:07 PM

Hi Judy,
I am so sorry you have been suffering such nausea during your recovery. I was only ill the first night after surgery, but I do know what its like to be that ill for an extended period of time as I had chemo after surgery and was very ill with it.

When I was going through that my appetite was very bad as well, and it seems the only things I wanted were milk and ice cream. I was drinking the protein drinks to try and keep my vitamin intake up.

You really should let the dr. know that your appetite is so poor and that you are having this nausea. Thats alot of weight to lose when your body is trying to heal itself from surgery.

I hope your appetite returns to normal for you soon. Gotta keep yourself nourished while recovering.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Hugs
Maria
Unread 08-19-2002, 07:18 PM

s Judy

WOW! That's alot of weight to lose in just six weeks. My first concern would have been a small bowel obstruction, but in a previous post I see that was ruled out. I guess you just gotta go with those high protein nutritional drinks as supplements (even though some of them are yucky tasting.) When my son had a broken jaw he enjoyed Carnation Instant breakfast with a scoop of ice cream and fruit all mixed together in a blender.
I think some of us lost weight initially. (just due to organs being removed)
Then it seems like most of us began to gain weight. Even those getting chemo. Or should I say especially those on chemo. STeroids can do that for sure.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2002, 09:08 PM

Hey little princess - your weeight loss is really an added bonus for all the crap you've endurded....I stayed naseuous for weeks. My entire diet plan was bottles and bottles of V8 Splaahsers (the yummy juicce drink). Splashers and water I could tolerate. I chewed saltines and breadd. Nothing exotic. I t worked for me, I amd I really felt good once I maintained all liquids for a week. Helped me gain strength, replenished liquids and calories. Took all meds with a slice of bread to offset the nausea. Worked well, my gingerly handled very sore intestines were not up to processing anything greater than a saltine. This hung on a couple of weeks, adn I graduated to soups as my bowels healed. Lost all this dumb weight and now my belly is four inches larger than before my surgery. Had it all removed and scraped out, guess I needed those organs to hold it all together internally! I jiggle like nobody's business,.....but hey hey hey, I am cancer free and celebrating my first birthday!!! Good luck to you princess, you'll make it theough the crud and we can celebrate your birthday [email protected]
Unread 08-20-2002, 12:07 PM

Thanks guys for the info and support - it really helps to know I'm not the only one out there. Hope you all (or ya'll in Texan) are doig well. Judymk
Unread 08-22-2002, 05:30 PM

Hi Judy..
I too lost 35 pounds after my surgery... It sounds wonderful but unfortunately as the appetites back so does the weight.
Feel good and do not worry about it now.
Rosalie
Unread 08-24-2002, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the support. Did you loose your weight just because is lack of appetite, or did you have nausea/pain or something else oging on? Thanks, Judymk

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register