Depression/Sleeplessness | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Depression/Sleeplessness Depression/Sleeplessness

Unread 08-20-2002, 01:28 PM
Depression/Sleeplessness

My surgery for HAV was June 5th. Actually, I did remarkable and my recovery has been fairly easy. I am 42 and threw myself into instant menapuse. I am taking HRT and have been experiencing
the worst of my recovery process the last couple of weeks. I am depressed at some point each day - sometimes an hour in duration and sometimes 6-7 hours duration. As far as sleeping, I am up every 1-2 hours all night long. This is very out of character for myself and therefore, very disturbing. I do experience hot flashes but can dealwith them - they only last a couple minutes.

My doctor said this will eventually subside. Quite frankly, I was beginning to wonder if it was just me - I was all of a sudden abnormal. I hate to bother my doctor again, but would like to know what is in store for the future - I am realizing very quickly that I should have been more persistent in getting information on what to expect after surgery and for how long.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2002, 01:49 PM
Depression/Sleeplessness

Hi karigan

You are discovering what we are all having to face... that we have to be our own advocates with our DRs, otherwise we don't get the help we need.

Did your DR say how long he thought it might take for your symptoms to "eventually subside"? You are two months post op. It might make sense to have your hormone levels checked. To help you talking with your DR about your symptoms, you might want to take a look at this list of symptoms of too little and too much estrogen and progesterone:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_97238.htm

The insomnia may be a sign of too little progesterone. Adding a little progesterone cream has helped some ladies get a full night's sleep, but it doesn't work for everyone.

You might want to visit the Hormone Jungle and read some of the threads there to get an idea of how some other ladies are dealing with their symptoms. You're not alone here. We're glad you're here with us!
s,
-Linda
Unread 08-20-2002, 01:49 PM
depression/sleeplessness

Dear Sister,

Hang in there. What kind of surgery did you have done? Mine was a tah-bso for endo, multiple fibroids, enlarged uterus and rt. ovary. I'm on premarin 0.625mg morning and night, that's helped me alot. Have had some upset stomach, though. What kind of hrt are you on? Please know that menopause (regular or surgically induced) can cause depression/anxiety/sleeplessness. You do need to contact your doctor, may need a change in hormones or an antidepressant to help you out. I had depression/anxiety disorder last Nov. really bad. Just major flaked out one day, felt sad, depressed, crying, worrying excessively, stomach and head hurt, couldn't eat or sleep. It was awful. I (rather my DH) called my family doctor and he told me to go to er. Had an 8 hr. stay, but started on antidepressant. Went back to er, still couldn't sleep, eat,was a wreck and had chest pains, shortness of breath, constant anxiety/panic attacks. They made sure my heart was ok - it was panic. Got back in 10 minutes that time, due to chest pains. Started on Klonipin 0.5 mg., helped me with anxiety, sleep, and eventually with eating. Also increased antidepressant (celexa 10 mg.) 2 times, up to 40 mg. finally and within 2 days, was so much better. I'm very stable, calm natured, have always handled my emotions very well, but fell apart - situational stuff (problems with teen daughter, long-term sinus problems, even after surgery, etc). We're all human and menopause can really take it's toll on you. Please call you doctor, either obgyn or family doctor. Alot of it can be as easy as an adjustment in meds. (Always get advice from physician; this is my opinion only from my experience - am an LPN - nurse). I care about how you feel and know how terrible it is. Please get on the phone stat, pronto, asap and let the doc know what's up with you. There's definite help for you. You're not abnormal; body changes can cause other changes. Depression is a simple or complex change in brain chemistry - certain chemicals which keep us stable emotionally are out of whack and cause this to happen. I've researched it, believe me. Let me know what happens. I'll be praying for you .
DebraDeeH You can e-mail me at [email protected] anytime - I'll definitely answer you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2002, 02:04 PM
Depression/Sleeplessness

Dear Karigan,

Please call your Dr. Linda gives you wonderful advise. Please check the hormone jungle and read the pull down menu about the symptoms of too much or too little estrogen and progesterone. Your symptoms sure sound like you need your hormones adjusted. Many ladies have to make a couple of attempts at getting the hrt just right.

Also, go to the hormone jungle message boards. Those ladies have lots of advise for us newbies to the hormone jungle.

Good luck. Please let us know how you are doing!

Caren

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register