Dr's visit - an update and more questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr's visit - an update and more questions Dr's visit - an update and more questions

Unread 08-21-2002, 08:14 PM
Dr's visit - an update and more questions

OK, since I would be running out of meds by mid-next week, I went back to the doctor's today (it's in our office building and I'm starting my vacations on Monday --- didn't feel like going "to work" on my day off )

Well, this time they had the test results. She tested for a lot of things, including RA and Lupus, liver, kidneys, etc. etc. All the tests, including the x-rays, were normal. However, the doctor says that this only means that my arthritis is in the very early stages and that it's too soon to know what type of arthritis I have. However, since my aunt had RA and because of the symetry of my symptoms, it's most likely that I have RA.

For now, the treatment will continue to be Mobicox (Cox2 NSAID). If I notice extreme swelling or I have a major flare-up, I'm to go back in so that the symptoms can be evaluated at that time. Most likely will mean a referal to a rheumy.

Right now, I feel much better. The pain in my ankles is always there, but it is a very dull pain and, most of the time, I barely know that it's there. Most days, I have pains in my wrists and fingers. Again, it's mostly a nagging, dull pain. If the breakthrough pains gets to be too intense (right now, it's bad in my ankles... most likely because I'm tired and have been eating chips ), I can take Tylenol. However, can't take any other type of anti-inflamatories., nor anything that is ASA based. Ditto with Anvil.

Let's hope that it stays this way for a long, long, time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2002, 10:40 PM

Dany:

I'm so glad that you're pain has been at a tolerable level I will be praying that it stays that way for you.
Too bad they couldnt find out exactly which type of arthritis you have. I thought there was a blood test for RA ? My sister said that she found out she has RA by a blood test she had done - & she doesnt even have symptoms yet Go figure.
Anyway, I'm glad you are feeling better !!

Susan
Unread 08-22-2002, 03:12 AM

Dany....

I to am glad the pain is a least at a managable leval for you....I know the pain well to dear...My right ankle seems to have it the worst and my hips flare up so bad sometimes I can barely walk.

Susan...yes there is a test just for the RA.....I just had it done myself...it takes 2 huge tubes of blood for this test alone.

Dany..did they run an RA test or go just by standard blood work? Mine came back in the normal levals but am still on the high side and have the same diognosis as you so far....it's not registering as full blown RA but will probably develope later on. My Gp told me to take Toradol for my flare ups as this is an anti-inflammatory. It seems to help but as soon as it wears off I feel it again...I'm tucking the name of your med in my little research folder for future reference..

I'm hoping to for your sake that it stays this way for you to sweetie...

Sending tons of

Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2002, 05:38 AM

Dany,
I'm happy to hear that the pain is staying at a tolerable level. It does sound like you have a pretty good thorough A keeper for sure.

I don't know anything about the RA stuff so I can't offer you an advice. But I've got a fresh supply of s
Unread 08-22-2002, 10:07 AM

Susan and Dawn: yes there is a test for RA and my doctor did run this test. In my case, the levels were within normal. However, this doesn't always show up... I tend to be hard to diagnose (my fibroid could not be detected in a transvaginal u/s --- only a hysteroscopy showed it).

It's raining today and I'm tired, so the pain is there today. I take Mobicox 15 mg every night. I take extra-strength tylenol for the break-through pain. I can't take more of the Mobicox, because I wouldn't be able to function.

Dawn: my instructions are to take the Mobicox, whether there is inflamation or pain, in order to stay ahead of the pain. It seems to be working.
Unread 08-22-2002, 10:31 AM

((Dany)), glad your other test came back normal and you can concentrate on managing your RA. That must be a small relief but dealing with chronic pain is going to be a challenge. Hope your meds continue to do their job. Sending you s and s
Unread 08-22-2002, 12:51 PM

Kim: Sorry, I kind of missed your post Yes, I do have a good doctor and it does look like she covered all the basis

Sheri: So far, so good... the main is manageable, most of the time. Hopefully, it will remain this way for quite some time
Unread 08-22-2002, 03:09 PM

That's okay Dany <sniff, sniff> I didn't take it personally Keep us posted on your progress.
Unread 08-23-2002, 05:46 PM

((Dany)),
I'm so happy that the pain is at decent levels I will be praying for many months andyears of the same...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register