Yikes! Bad Drug Reaction Problem--RANT WARNING! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Yikes!  Bad Drug Reaction Problem--RANT WARNING! Yikes! Bad Drug Reaction Problem--RANT WARNING!

Unread 08-22-2002, 09:20 AM
Yikes! Bad Drug Reaction Problem--RANT WARNING!

Like many of us, on all my boards, I've had psychological effects from the cancer, treatment and recurrence. At my social worker's suggestion I saw a psychiatrist Tues. to get medications straightened out, changed, etc. to help. I took in a list of everything I take plus my Nursing 2002 book to be extra careful about anything new and see what effects there might be. He felt I should start on the insomnia and gave me a prescription for a drug for that. I did not take it Tues. night as I had a 9:30 neurology appt. Weds. and didn't want to have problems with that. Took half the pill last night abuot 8 p.m. and half an hour later when things seemed OK I took the other half. It's good for insomnia--produces it in me, although until midnight I was dozing in and out, then awake but tired until 2, and from 2 to 4 awake and having problems. Called the HMO nurse on call who sent the call to a 24 hour pharmacy who said no way to stop the effects (by then I was hyper, heart pounding, and acting almost like when I had the pre-med steroid on taxol) but I should be OK taking a lorazepam (1 mg) which I did and crashed for three hours. Now after four cups of coffee I think I'm OK to drive across town to an important p.m. appointment but my blood pressure is sky high as the drug I was given can cause hypotension and I was afraid to take that this a.m. Left voice mail for the doctor that the drug was horrific and was in the trash as I would not risk my health taking it ever again. Also, I wound up having the nerve pain in my leg again (neurologist thinks it's not sciatic nerve but another but we can't do MRI to check as I have port) but was afraid to take anything for that for fear of causing more problems. I swear I am THROUGH with this prescription mess--NO MORE. Period. I'll keep the insomnia, helping it somewhat with the lorazepam at bedtime and occasionally daytime with panic attacks, and I'll accept the occasional depression as going with the territory and live with it--but I will not try any more of these drugs period! What's scariest to me is what will happen if this disease progresses and I need to be pain free, etc. Right now I frankly refuse to try anything more because to get the "right" drug you have to try stuff that is horrible! No way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2002, 03:37 PM

Oh, Margaret,
You poor lady, you have been through so much and now this!!!
I don't blame you one bit for not wanting anything else in regards to meds. I know some meds mixed with others can really upset the system.
Try and relax, yeah, I know easier said than done.
Do you have a cup of warm tea or other relaxing drink before bedtime?? Just a suggestion, maybe that would help some.
Unread 08-22-2002, 04:21 PM

((((Margaret))))))
I am so sorry you are having these problems with the meds. Seems to fix one thing something else is thrown out of wack!!! Not good at all. Surely with all the different things available they will find the right one and it may take a few trials to get it right, but I am very hopeful they will continue to try to find something to help with the insomnia. Maybe the next one will do the trick. Nothing worse than not being able to sleep. I swear a night is like 40 hours long when you can't sleep, and then when you do get to sleep it flies by like 20 minutes.

I really hope they will find something to help you soon. As Puppy said you have been through so much and you don't need anymore added to your plate.

In my thoughts and prayers always ((((Margaret)))))
Love and Hugs,
M. xoxoxo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2002, 08:37 PM

s Ellen

I am so sorry to read of your latest difficulty. Enough is enough, you poor woman. I do think sometimes the old simple things work the best. Like over the counter benadryl. Have you tried it? It is the active ingredient in Tylenol PM. Hope you are able to sleep better tonight.

karenann
Unread 08-22-2002, 09:35 PM

Hi Margaret,
I agree with you about refusing to take anymore drugs. My doctor said, "You and medicine do not get along." I am allergic to so many things and now have panic attacks from the drug I'm on. I've been in the ER 3 times this summer. The drugs make my chest hurt, my breathing difficult and I've had 2 major rashes.

I wonder if they can do a patch test like when an allergist scratches a person's skin with strawberry to see if they are allergic to strawberries. My friend's husband is a pharmacist. I'll ask if he has ever heard of such a thing.

The other thing that helps is I keep all my medical records from hospital visits and they say what drugs I was given and how I reacted. That way I tell the doctors, "I can take this antibiotic, this anesthesia, I need this anti-nausea drug." They like it!

Good Luck!
Judy
Unread 08-23-2002, 11:30 AM
{{{{Margaret}}}

God bless your heart Ellen. I tell ya, you are the strongest person I've ever had the priviledge of meeting (even if it is only online). I just want you to know that I'm praying for you and you're always in my thoughts and you have a VERY special place in my heart.
Sending soothing hugs, and two special angels your way.
Love ya sweetie,
Susan
PS: Do you think it's time for the little ballerina to come sit with ya and bring some of your favorite butter cookies and your favorite coffee, and bore you to sleep with her performance of Swan lake??.... Pink tu tu and all...LOL

s 's and more 's
Unread 08-23-2002, 01:16 PM
Tutu Ballerina Needed Monday

When I hopefully get chemo if counts are OK. Of course, I'll be careful not to tell the nurses where the butter cookies (I haven't had those in ages--Salerno, with a hole in the middle--wow, now guess what I "have" to have) and chocolate cherry coffee came from as they tend to look a little odd when I talk about a gray hippo dancing in a pink tutu! I wonder why they give me this odd look?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register