experiences | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-26-2002, 11:56 AM
experiences

Hello-
I have this post over in options and alternatives, but honestly haven't gotten much of a response. I'm not having a hysterectomy at this time, so I hope I don't offend anyone in taking up some space over in the pre-op side. My gyn wants to exhaust all other methods before a hyst. is ordered, so technically, I should be over in the options and alternatives. I would be soooooo grateful for anyones experiences with any of these procedures. I've never had anything like this done, and have no one really to ask about experiences. On Sept. 26, I'm having a diagnostic laparoscopy (if need be he'll remove anything there...fibroids outside, cysts, adhesions, anything). I'm also having a hysteroscopy, d&c, and thermal ablation. I have a fibroid that he believes is deep within uterine wall, small plum size, so in gyn's opinion, might end up with the hyst. anyway. I have heavy bleeding, clots, flooding, cramps, pain, pain during ovulation, lower backache and some other stuff. I've done birth control...helped some, but had some side effects. Just waiting now for my outpatient procedures. Will have general anesthesia. About how long did you stay at hospital after procedure(s). Did anyone ever end up staying in over night because of lap? I searched keywords in archives looking for anything, found some information, but would love to hear from anyone willing to share.
Thank you, Erica (esa)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2002, 01:11 PM
experiences

I have almost the same story as you. Six weeks before my hyst I went in for a laparoscopic tubal and hysteroscopy/ablation. Ended up not being able to do the ablation 'cause there was a fibroid in the way, so my doc tried a partial myomectomy (as long as he was in there anyway...). I absorbed the max amount of the sorbitol fluid they use to distend the uterus, and he had to quit, but the whole thing took about 2-1/2 hours. I woke up feeling pretty good (on morphine), and very cheerful, but also very nauseated. They finally decided to keep me overynight, gave me a shot of Zofran, and let me sleep. When I woke up the next day I was feeling pretty good, and went home. For a couple of weeks afterward I felt generally awful - achy, tired, feverish, sore all over. Yuck. I think it may have been partly the general, partly absorbing that fluid, and probably a lot due to my not knowing about doing breathing exercises, walking, etc. The lap incisions (and where the bandages had been) hurt worse than the incision for my TAH, but I think that's not the norm. It took me 2-4 weeks to really start feeling good, but it didn't help my bleeding or cramps, so I went right back and asked for a hyst.

If *you* are trying to avoid a hyst, then great, go for it, it's worth a try and might help. Personally, I would have been happier to have the hyst right off, and skip the extra surgery. If you want a hyst, make sure your doctor knows that, and see if you can bypass the inbetween steps.

Here's a site kinda like Hyster Sisters (but smaller) about endometrial ablations. They have discussion boards, too.
http://home.att.net/~endometrial_ablation/index.html
Nice folks. Give 'em a visit.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register