4 months/ fatique /swelly ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 months/ fatique /swelly ? 4 months/ fatique /swelly ?

Unread 08-26-2002, 12:16 PM
4 months/ fatique /swelly ?

I will tell ya, I am always swollen, if I stand on my feet more than an hour it hurts and swells more! If I get less than 9 hours sleep I will go for days sleeping 12! All blood tests are normal? Any suggestion? Ihave gained 10 lbs in 4 months an eat and exercse the same! and the fatigue grabs me like a black blanket mid afternoon........anyone else? when does this end?any solutions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2002, 12:48 PM
Join the Club

Sorry to hear your woes, but I think it must be part of the whole healing thing. My surgery was 4 months ago also. I have gained 10 lbs, and tote around a swelly belly. I find that the fatigue is getting better though. I try to remain active, and exercise which seems to keep my weight at the extra 10. I dread to think what would happen if I slowed down. My friends all say "Wow, you look teriffic", but to tell you the truth, I am so annoyed over the extra 10, thT i AM THREATENING TO GET A TUMMY TUCK. I have decided to wait 1 year and then re-visit that thought!
Well, you have my sympathy, and just remember, you are not alone! Try to eat a very sensible diet, like lots of fruit and vegetables (fresh, not canned or frozen). I believe that good nutrition is the key (I hope).
Unread 08-26-2002, 01:48 PM
4 MONTHS/FATIGUE/SWELLY BELLY

I'm also 4 months post op, I've just posted a message "fatso". I am exactly the same. I came back from weightwatchers tonite where, guess what I'm up another lb. I did not get much sympathy there, I think the class leader thought I was at home all day eating donuts and chips washed down with beer,!!
I could not eat a healthier diet, I cannot understand what is wrong with me and it's really getting me down.
Nobody told me about this before surgery,is there anything that can help ?
It is great to hear I'm not the only one but surely this can't continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2002, 02:18 PM

Ditto

Same her too. I am 5months post and have gained around 10lbs too.

The tiredness is awful, I can sleep 12hrs and still could fall asleep late afternoon. I too have had bloods taken and I am waiting on results. I think they too will be normal.

Dr told me can take a good 6-12 months for fatigue to go away.

Well all we can do is hang in there at least we don't have to suffer any periods anymore yippeeeee.

Hugs

Jane
Unread 08-26-2002, 02:30 PM

i guess i am one of the lucky ones. i have no swelly belly, in fact, i've lost about 10 pounds. i don't feel more tired now that before, and i stand on my feet and waitress 8-10 hours a day. maybe that's why??? i went back to work at 2 months post and was terrified cuz of all the posts about swelly belly and fatigue, etc. my doctor gave me the green light at 6 weeks and told me that i had no limitations and that i should feel better than before?? i didn't believe him, but he was right. don't get me wrong. my stomach is still tender and itchy and i guard it with my life, but for the most part, i never even remember i had the surgery.

i just wanted there to be an "opposite side of the coin" post for those pre-oppers with fears.

hope you all feel great soon (for i'm sure you will!!)

luv,

SueK
Unread 08-26-2002, 10:41 PM
5lbs

It's nice to know I'm not the only one. It will be 5months on 8/28 and my stomach still swells. It's still sore to the touch. Is this normal? I'm going to start a jogging class Wednesday hopefully this will get my weight off, before I put more on.
I'm always tired, too. Hoping the jogging will be a cure all.
Unread 08-27-2002, 02:42 PM

I am 6 mths post op and noticed the other nite my tummy was swollen,,I think I noticed it cuz my jeans were snug around my tummy when they were not like that that morning..I didn't gain ten lbs but about 5 and I refuse to let my weight take over. Altho Ifeel alot better than before no pain and stuff I am also tired..no make that exhausted in the afternoon and then go to bed at nite and lay there and toss and turn. I had all of my blood work done and all of my hormones and everything are just fine..must be part of the healing process? But does it really take this long?
Unread 08-28-2002, 08:43 AM
August 5th - 5 months post op

I've got to say that most of the time I feel pretty good. I still get swollen by the end of the day, but not as much as before. At times - like when I press against the counter when I am doing dishes,etc. things are sensitive, but for the most part it's as if I never had the surgery. I go for awhile (I work two jobs) and then the fatigue hits me and I don't want to move or think for a day. This past Saturday was one of those days. I found myself wondering why I felt so exhausted and then it was like "duh, almost 5 months from surgery - no wonder". I haven't gained any weight, but then I was able to keep one of my ovaries so I'm not on hormones or anything. My problem was also that endio had fused together my left ovary and my bowel and was strangulating the bowel rerouting it almost into a u-turn. The hysterectomy was the best thing I could have done! Not only do I not have the monthly cycles, heavy bleeding and pain from fibroids, the constipation (diagnosed as irritable bowel) is completely gone! It is so fantastic to not have a period and have to buy tampons!!!!!
Unread 08-29-2002, 02:05 PM

I was at my dentists yesterday and talking to the assistant and telling her how tired I am still in the afternoons from my TVH and she said that is the same procedure she had done four years ago She said for about a year she'd be just totally exhausted in the afternoon to the point that she had to start just working half days and then one day she just felt great and it went away..so maybe, hopefully it'll happen to us too? I get so tired of being tired in the afternoon and then at nite I can't sleep..I'll be wide awake...It has to be part of the healing and maybe ovaries out of whack Altho all of my blood work came back well within normal limits..
Unread 08-30-2002, 12:17 AM

Well, ladies, as my Yiddish Bubbie used to say, "from your mouth to G-d's ears".

I'm at three months, and some days I feel worse than I did before! But then I try to remind myself that I did go back to virtually everything that I had done before, but there is still significant healing going on, and to try to be patient.

Susan, I watched your posts as a LIW (you were just returning to work) and hoping that it would be my experience too. My work is 8 hours a day solidly on my feet (and I try to power-walk in the 20 minutes I get for lunch).

I was gaining fluid weight, which I lost when I went back off my Vivelle. But my waistline is still about 2 inches above normal, even when held in all the way, and sore/tender. I see the doctor tomorrow (who had TVH a couple of years ago herself) and hopefully will have some answer!

After all, they took out a mass that was larger than a grapefruit! Surely my waist should shrink some???

Audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register