Little Miss Indecisive | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Little Miss Indecisive Little Miss Indecisive

Unread 08-26-2002, 07:52 PM
Little Miss Indecisive

Hi all,
I am schedule for TAH/BSO for 9-10-02. Why am I SO indecisive about this??? I could really use some help.....

I have coped with endo for the past 16 years.
Had a laparotomy in 1998 for an ovarian cyst.
Now have another large one (7 cm) that must come out.

I don't have terrible pain every day, and most days it is bearable.
I've been taking more narcotics than before, however.

I am SCARED because my first surgery was not a good experience. I am 37, have no children and this is not an issue for me. I am not married, so have no one to share the burden with. How can I go into this with a clear mind??
My doc is very understanding, is not forcing me into it, but I almost wish she would.....

Thanks for understanding,
Sharona
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2002, 08:10 PM
Little Miss Indecisive

Because you are in pain!!!!!!! Just because you are a women doesn't mean that you have to have pain. If you haven't had children, that isn't a reason to keep all your reproductive organs around. There are many children that need adoption if you decide to have kids. I had a doctor tell me that women are expected to have discomfort and she wouldn't recomend me to have the surgery. That is why I went to a different doctor and he told me that I didn't have to live with all the discomfort that I have been and I am so much better off than I was before. Surgery has changed radically since the last time you had it and I think that you will be better off if you have the surgery done. Good luck with your decision.

TVH/BSO 8/20/02 for fibroids and endo.
Unread 08-26-2002, 09:10 PM
Little Miss Indecisive

I don't think you want to be forced into it either. I think you mean that you wish it was out of your hands, that it was something that just had to be done now. There are a few here who had no option due to the threat of cancer or an emergency with an ovarian cyst. It was out of there hands. I would rather make this decision on my own, that way I'd have more control over things.

Your one sentence seems to be extremely important. "I've been taking more narcotics than before,"...this could be a very good reason to have the surgery. Not to mention endo...

All you need is one other person. Someone to drive you to and from the hospital, and perhaps to check on you once a day. It would be nice if someone could be with right after surgery for a few hours. You can prepare ahead all that you need from food to supplies by using the suggestions here on this site. The hardest part might be not being able to drive for a few weeks, but there are self delivering drug stores and other means.

Talk to your doctor about your unpleasant experience with surgery number one and press him for answers so that you will feel more comfortable with this surgery. It's a given that we all get scared and have some doubts to a degree.

Just know that we are here to listen and support you. If you are not ready for this surgery then postpone it for 6 months. Once you give yourself permission to back out, then all of a sudden you might find that you want it over and done with!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2002, 06:08 PM
Little Miss Indecisive

Thanks for that advice.... avoiding surgery now only means dealing with it in the future, my ovaries are so naughty, and have always caused me problems.

I sometimes wonder what I did to make my organs turn so nasty.

Hope to all the Systers,
Sharona

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register