medical terminology question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

medical terminology question medical terminology question

Unread 08-27-2002, 08:29 PM
medical terminology question

Hi ladies
I had a TVH on 7/15 and have had NO problems. I got 5 weeks of "vacation" from work instead of normal recovery. I just felt really great.

I went back to work last week and made it to Thursday afternoon before the exhaustion hit me. Went to bed early that night and felt much better Friday morning.

I went in for my 6-week followup today and I have a question on a medical term the doc used. He checked me and said there was one area that wasn't healing but he said it was ok they call it "granualization". He had his nurse give him some "sulphursomething" (I can't remember what he called it). Then someone came in the room and told him he had a phone call so he hurried and finished with the exam, stood up and told me I was clear to do anything I wanted and he didn't need to see me again. Then he left to take his phone call.

While I was dressing I realized we never finished discussing this granular thing. My question would be what is it and how will I know if it clears up. I'm going to call the office tomorrow and see if that nurse that was in there with us knows anything. This doctor has absolutely NO people skills. NONE NADA ZIPPO It has been very frustrating during this whole procedure trying to get him to give me answers on any of the questions I tried to ask. He would just blow them off by saying it was all because of being overweight.

He told me I don't need HRT because of my weight. I had to go on the internet to research to find out what weight had to do with HRT. I did find an answer but why couldn't he have told me, it wasn't that hard of an answer.

Anyway, in reading some of the other posts on this board I see I'm not the only one not sleeping at night. I've always gone to bed at 11:00pm, you could almost set your clock by me, but now I find that I'm still tossing/turning at 12:30 and 1:00. I'm just not tired or something. Then when my alarm goes off at 5:30 I feel rested so I'm only getting 4 hours a night. That just doesn't seem like enough.

Sorry this turned out so long. My original idea was just to find out if anyone knows what that granualization thing is.

Thanks
Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2002, 10:08 PM

Hi Christine

It's amazing how many competent doctors do NOT have good people skills! Granulation is tissue is that not healing well and usually needs to be cauterized (from what I've read silver nitrate is typically used).

Please call your doctor's office in the morning and demand another appointment. There's no excuse for his being distracted (okay, maybe there is, who am I to judge) but you need this treated asap!!!

About the sleeping, wish I could help! Although I have noticed that if I don't get to sleep by a certain time, I seem to get a "second wind" and then I could be up all night! You may need to adjust your bedtime!

s
Unread 08-28-2002, 06:23 AM

Hi,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2002, 06:26 AM

It's me again, I don't know what happened to my last reply! I am curious as to what weight has to do with HRT? Are you under or over weight? I am a little overweight and am on HRT.
Unread 08-28-2002, 06:33 AM

Christine-- So sorry you are having this Dr problem, but I can relate. The Internest I go to has the personality of a rock! He stares at me poker face when I ask a question and answers in all medical terms! Acts quite annoyed when I ask for an explanation! I think some Drs are "book smart" but no common sense or people skills! When I told him (proudly) about my exercise routine and how well I was doing, he replied that exercise NEVER helped anyone it just makes yoiu feel better! At that point I KNEW he was an Idiot but I am a creature of habit so I go back. My Gyn is just the opposite, so personable and caring.

Just out of curosity, what does weight have to do with HRT? I have never heard that before. Hope your recovery goes smooth!

Barb
Unread 08-28-2002, 07:14 AM

Thanks for your replies about the granualization stuff. It was silvernitrate that he asked the nurse for. I think I'll just go to my GYN and have her check it out, I just don't want to go back to the surgeon. He doesn't like me and I don't like him so why continue the agony.

to answer the question about what weight has to do with HRT this is what I know.

My doctor said to me when I asked him about HRT. "With your size you don't need to worry about HRT".

I had to go home and research it on the internet. I found a website about surgical menopause that said the body produces hormones and stores those hormones in the tummy area which is why women who have had hysterectomies begin to form little tummy ponches. Overweight women are already producing enough hormones they don't need HRT. I don't know what the website is because I'm at work and that information is at home. When I get home tonight I'll try to remember to look it up and post it. It was a very informative website. It put things in laymens terms so you could understand what it was saying. There was a section on hot flashes the explained what is going on in the body before/during/after a hot flash. Good information!

Christine
Unread 08-28-2002, 09:14 PM
Estrogen and tummy bulges

Christine,

You have the correct thread about estrogen.

Estrogen is manufactured in two places for us - ovaries and fat cells. When our estrogen levels are low, our bodies cling to every bit they can and that is the stuff stored in our fat cells and since most of our fat cells are found in the hips, butt and thighs, guess what gets bigger? If the ovaries are removed, we go into what is termed surgical menopause and we need to take estrogen supplements (HRT). Once the estrogen levels are returned to their normal balance, the fat stuff we gained 9 times out of 10 disappears. Women who have cancers that are estrogen receptive (or a very strong family history of estrogen receptive cancers) do not have the option of hormone therapy, they have to use other routes for supplementation.

The need for HRT is not to based on body weight. That is insane and that doc needs a major tongue lashing.

I lost weight after my TAH but I went into menopause (officially, non surgically induced kind, it's when you miss a consecutive 12 months of periods) when I was 35 and I've been on HRT since then.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth.

XO,
Pandora
Unread 08-28-2002, 09:48 PM

Thanks Pandora that's a good explanation of what I was trying to say. LOL

Here's the website if anybody wants to go there. I found it to be really informative.

www.geocities.com/NoLinks

I hope that works.

I don't plan on going back to that dr. he drives me nutso. I'll go to my GYN but I read somewhere that we should take up our HRT issues with the family practice dr. because they are used to adjusting medicines and the GYN people are mostly interested in dellivering babies.

There's so much information out there it's hard to know what to believe and what's a bunch of bunk.

Christine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register