Cancer Found During Hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cancer Found During Hyst Cancer Found During Hyst

Unread 08-28-2002, 08:00 PM
Cancer Found During Hyst

Dear Sisters,

So sorry it has been so long since I last spoke to you. Let's just put it this way, I've had my reasons.

My hyst, done on 5/30/02, went well, so I thought. Within two weeks, I was up driving, doing house work and even, you know, with the DH! I know, I know! I wasn't following the rules of being a princess, but I felt SOO much better and thought life looked great...................

Went back to the Dr. to find out they had found cervical cancer during the hyst. Now let me tell you, this is the same Dr. who told me I was "just fine" while I complained for two years through heavy, painful periods, cramping mid-cycle, bleeding after intercourse, back pain and leg pain. The very same Dr. who ran a "perfectly clear" pap on me in November of '01. The very same Dr. who reluctuntly gave in and gave me a hyst, told me that if I had not hadte hyst done when I did, I wouldn't have had a chance.

I am now going back in the hospital on 9/19 for more surger to "clean things up" and "make sure they get everything" so I just want all of youout there to say a prayer for me. It sure seems like all of the prayers you all said for me before have paid off. Just keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

Love to you all,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2002, 09:56 PM
Cancer Found During Hyst

Charlotte:

I'm so sorry that this is happening & that you are having more surgery done. I will be praying that they get everything & that you have a quick, easy recovery.
We are here for you - take care

Susan
Unread 08-29-2002, 12:50 AM
Cancer Found During Hyst

Yes, I hear ya! My dr said the same thing. He told me that as long as I continue with the pap smear, I will not have cancer and that is a guarantee. How is that possible? I would not buy that from him period. this is my life we are talking about. I ended up having an hysterectomy with everything out because of endometriosis, cysts, and God knows what else. anyways, I hope that your Dr cleans up his mess and that for future not to take your words ever so lightly. I for you as you go in for your surgery and that you come right back out with flying colors!

Big to you,
Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2002, 04:49 AM
Cancer Found During Hyst

Charlotte,
I'm moving your post to the Cancer Concerns forum. The ladies there have been through this and I think you'll get some good advice and support there.

I'm keeping you in my thoughts and ers and sending you some s
Unread 08-29-2002, 05:22 AM
Cancer Found During Hyst

Hi, Charlotte!

Welcome to Cancer Concerns . I don't know how many times I've heard women say that they had a normal PAP and then 3 or 6 or 12 months later they found out they had cancer. It's a very frightening and shocking thing. You think you're doing the right thing for yourself by following those guidelines of having one every year, and then you feel betrayed by the system. I read someplace a while back (and this has helped me understand a little) that if you have a normal PAP what that means is that you are at low risk to develop cervical cancer within the next 5 years. It's kind of like the small print of the test. Anyway, the pathologist can only read the cells that are sampled, so if the abnormal cells are missed somehow then they won't see that you have a problem. That is a really big problem for adenocarcinoma in particular because the doctor can't see up inside your canal to see if there are abnormalities, and there's no way to sample the cells if they are high up inside--unless a stray cell just happens to make it's way down at just the right time to get picked up on the PAP.

Are you seeing a gynecologic oncologist then? They certainly are the experts in the field, and they will know just what to do.

(((Charlotte)))

You must be feeling so overwhelmed right now. Please take care of yourself and let us know how you are getting along. You can come here anytime to vent, cry, ask for a hug, whatever. Sometimes it helps to have company when you are going through a stressful time.

Of course, we will keep you in our and ers. I wish you all the best!

Unread 08-29-2002, 06:06 AM
Cancer Found During Hyst

Hi Charlotte, it sure is frightening , I know .....

Hearing that cancer word can really knock your socks off..... I have heard many times that cervical cancer is slow growing but I am proof that it can be aggressive. A gynaecolgical/oncologist is really a must as they deal with this every day and will be the best to give you the advice and treatment that you need.

You arent alone here ,we have all travelled this path in varying degrees and we are all SURVIVORS ...... I am holding you in my and my daily prayers . Love, hugs and angels XX
Unread 08-29-2002, 06:22 AM
Hi Charlotte

Indeed--what a shock for you! I'll be ing for you and indeed let's hope that this second surgery is a total success.
Please keep us updated. WIsh I could offer more for you.
Unread 08-29-2002, 06:56 AM
Welcome Back Charlotte

How scary this must be for you and it's horrible to feel betrayed by the "system" and your doctor. But, it does show how important all the follow-up appointments are.

I went to see my internist last Tuesday. It was the first time I saw him since he laughed at my insistence that I wanted to be tested for uterine cancer. He was one surprise puppy! I tell doctors we're a team. I'll listen to him/her, but he/she also must listen to me.

Come and post often - we're here for you.
s
Laura
Unread 08-29-2002, 08:05 AM
Cancer Found During Hyst

Hi Charlotte,

It is a shock to receive a cancer diagnosis. I also had normal PAP smears every year until the last one, which was done with the Thin Prep PAP test. This test is apparently more accurate for picking up abnormal cells. With my cancer, I did not have any signs or symptoms with bleeding or pain. In retrospect, after my last PAP smear, I thought I had a yeast infection, but that was it. I also had cervical cancer, stage 1b. My cancer started within the cervix (which apparently is unusual) and just happened to break through the outside wall, where they get the PAP smear cells from. So, I am very lucky that they found it as well, before it was too advanced.

I would recommend that you see a GYN Oncologist for an opinion/surgery, since they see so much more of this than a regular OB/GYN.

Glad you found us here, and sending you positive healing thoughts and prayers.

's
Unread 08-29-2002, 05:57 PM
Cancer Found During Hyst

Hi Charlotte.
I was soo sorry to hear the news..Is your surgeon an oncologist gynocologist??? If not please find one that is.. I had a hysterectomy in April and they found ovarian cancer at that time. MY regular doctor sent me the oncologist gyno for the surgery because, and his exact words were, "Rosalie,any doctor can do a hysterectomy, but only an oncologist gynocologist knows exactly what to look for and will do the job right the first time so that there will hopefully be NO reoccurances". Well my ca125 number is now down to 14 and my last treatment is next thursday!!
Keep thinking happy thoughts.
Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register