Mammogram at 28...HELP! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Mammogram at 28...HELP! Mammogram at 28...HELP!

Unread 08-29-2002, 04:59 AM
Mammogram at 28...HELP!

I'm not really sure where to post this so I decided to post here. I had a TAH/BSO on March 6, 2001. I did really well until the end of September, 2001. Since then I have been really sick. The increased my hormones (Estrace) & now want to change my hormones to Estratest. I am 28 years old and have had a pain in my right breast for a couple of months but couldn't feel a lump because I am really thin...all I can feel are ribs. I lost 10 pounds after my surgery. At my doctor's appointment yesterday the dr felt a lump in my breast and scheduled a mammogram & sonogram. The doctor said it could be from the hormones. Has anyone had anything like this? I've heard that mammograms really hurt. I do not have much in the boobie department to do a mammogram. I read that a lot of times the lumps are just cysts that they can drain. Help!

Chrissy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2002, 05:57 AM
Mammogram at 28...HELP!

Chrissy,
I had my first mammogram at the age of 34 as my doctor found a suspicious lump. I had the mammogram and than he immediately ordered an ultrasound. I was totally freaked out about it. As it turns out I have fiberous breasts and all was okay.

Try not to worry and hope for the best. It is better to get these things checked out.

I've had several mammograms and the pain level I think depends on the tech. Yes, they can hurt but if the tech is pretty good the pain may be minimal. The first one I had wasn't too bad, but the second one hurt pretty bad.

I'll be ing for good test results.
Unread 08-29-2002, 09:37 AM
Mammogram at 28...HELP!

Chrissy,

Taking an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen before and after your mammogram can make it less painful. A lot of the discomfort is the pulling on the connective tissue of the breast. You can have a sore chest for a few days afterwards, but the anti-inflammatories help.

Some places have an "auto-release" feature that automatically release you as soon as the pictures are taken. Good luck! I had a lump at your age. It turned out to be a fibro-adenoma, or a benign lump. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2002, 10:38 AM
Mammogram at 28...HELP!

Chrissy,

Good luck with the Mammogram - just the thought of having to have one is scarry. I have had two - a baseline because I have a family history and then one when they found a lump. Like the others posted here it turned out to be nothing, but it did cause me not to sleep for several days until I found that out.

The Dr. suggested I take vitamin E - she said that helps with keeping lumps in the breast down - As with all on this site, I am not a Dr. (as you can tell by my description) but might be worth asking about.

Thoughts and prayers are with you that your lumps are nothing to worry about - you have been through enough already.

Linda
Unread 08-29-2002, 08:29 PM
Mammogram at 28...HELP!

Hi Chrissy!

I had my first mammogram at age 30. No lumps or symptoms, just based on family history. I did have a "suspicous" area on my 1st mamogram at which point the Dr. ordered an ultrasound. No fluid was found, so I was then scheduled for a needle biopsy. Everything came out just fine! I am now 41, and have had all normal mammograms since!

By the way, I am fairly large chested, and am somewhat fibrosystic. Dr.'s all say to stay away from caffeine (YEAH, RIGHT) as this can promote cysts.

I hope you have good results. Please keep us posted!
Unread 08-30-2002, 11:46 AM
Mammogram at 28...HELP!

(((Chrissy))))) I'm so sorry you haven't been feeling well for close to a year

I had my first mammogram, a baseline mammogram, when I was 40. Even though I was still nursing and my breast were reall tender from the nursing, it didn't hurt as much as I feered it would. For me, the worst part was when they really flattened the breasts. And I was tender and sore for a few days thereafter, but Tylenol helped a lot with that.

Hang in there, sweetie. I that the lump is caused by the hormones.
Unread 08-30-2002, 03:37 PM
Mammogram at 28...HELP!

Hi Chrissy........... I had my first mammogram when I was 28 also, for a family history. When they did it, I wound up having to have it repeated the next day because of a "suspicious" spot on the right side.......... luckily it was ok. When you are young your breasts are very fibrous and can feel lumpy and even look lumpy on a mammogram as in my case. "fibrocystic breasts" is what they called it. The pain is there, but it goes away as soon as they lift the plates, but you may be tender for a couple of days afterwards.

I will be thinking of you and hoping that it is good news.

s
Unread 08-30-2002, 03:44 PM
Thank you!

Thank you to all of you ladies who have had such kind words for me. I figure if I can have a baby without drugs, I can have a mammogram...right? I am so lucky to have a place where I can talk to other women. So many of my peers have no idea where I am coming from. They are all having or just have had their 2nd baby. I'm dealing with out of whack hormones and mammograms. But, there is a reason for all of this. When I find out what it is...I'll pass it on! HA! Thank you ladies. You are yet another group of fine women who have helped me through. My mammogram isn't until the 9th of September so I will let you know what I find out. THANK YOU LADIES!!

Chrissy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register