Upcoming hysterectomy 4/27. Scared of the pain, being able to pee and bowel movements plus moving around. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 4/27. Scared of the pain, being able to pee and bowel movements plus moving around. Upcoming hysterectomy 4/27. Scared of the pain, being able to pee and bowel movements plus moving around.

Unread 04-23-2017, 07:23 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 4/27. Scared of the pain, being able to pee and bowel movements plus moving around.

My surgery is this Thursday. Terrified. Could use some really positive stories. Scared of the pain, being able to pee and bowel movements plus moving around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2017, 08:21 AM
Re: Positive recovery reports.

Hi Abcshortie!

I had my surgery about a month ago to remove uterus, tubes, cervix, endometriosis on ovaries, and a melon-sized fibroid.

I too was nervous and scared in the weeks/days before. Now, a month later, I can say that I have zero regrets. The recovery has been uneventful. I had some gas pains for a few days and constipation for the first week, but walking helped clear both of those issues up. My bladder was a little slow to wake up, so I had to spend one night in the hospital, but after that no issues. I only took the heavy pain killers for about 3 days post surgery, then motrin for about 1 1/2 weeks....since then the pain has been very minimal and I have not needed anything. I was able to walk within the first few days, and am now walking about 3 miles per day.

All in all the pre op anxiety was much worse than the recovery, and I feel 250% more like myself now than I did before the surgery.

Best of luck to you and wishing you a speedy recovery!
Unread 04-23-2017, 08:22 AM

i don't know what kind of hysterectomy you are having. i had an LSH...where i kept my cervix and ovaries. the gas pain from the laparoscopic surgery was painful for about two days and then i was good to go. i had no issues with BM's or peeing. my bladder was a little touchy after...felt like i was getting a UTI all the time. my dr put me on vaginal estrogen that i still use today. i was released at two weeks and resumed my normal life minus my periods! its been over 10 years and i still say its one of the best things i ever did. good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2017, 08:28 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 4/27. Scared of the pain, being able to pee and bowel movements plus moving around.

The post issues in the post op do not reflect what most women are going through following surgery.
If you follow your doctor's orders/restrictions, walk and drink plenty of water, you should be fine.

However, it is not uncommon not to have BM for a few days which can cause discomfort.

Also, trapped surgery gas pain can happen, walking helps with that, and it shouldn't last more than a few days.

I would strongly recommend you stay away from the post op forum at this point.

If you want to be prepared, read the Hint from Member sections and the many great Articles published on this site.
Unread 04-23-2017, 03:03 PM

I awoke from surgery feeling pretty good. Pretty soon I started wondering if maybe they didn't do the surgery for some reason because I wasnt in pain. They didn't even give me any narcotics. I didn't have any issues with gas or constipation, I'm wondering if part of the reason was the bowel prep that I had to do. Once my iv came out, I didn't need anything more for pain. I was up and walking after a few hours, and it wasn't at all bad. Once you master getting out of bed, it's no problem. I asked the nurses the best way and they were really helpful. I walked a lot, right from day one, and I think it helped me as well. I went on little outings every day the first week, nothing too taxing, lunch with a friend, a walk around the supermarket with my husband etc. you should be able to fend fairly well for yourself, just be sure know what the dr says you can/can't do, and follow those instructions. Good luck!
Unread 04-23-2017, 03:34 PM

Had mine a month ago. Scared pre op like you. Looking back it was the easiest surgery I have ever had. Feel great and so glad I did it. Already I forget I had this procedure. Walking, driving, using the bathroom w/o any problems. Ready to be released for work and start working out again. Stomach is smaller now than before. WeAring same clothes prior to surgery. Main things you will need are small pillow, stool softeners, water and compy clothes. You can do this. Up same day of surgery walking in the hospital. Follow doctor instructions and take meds as prescribed. Waiting is much harder than the surgery. Relax, have faith and trust your surgeon.
Unread 04-23-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachybluebabe View Post
Had mine a month ago. Scared pre op like you. Looking back it was the easiest surgery I have ever had. Feel great and so glad I did it. Already I forget I had this procedure. Walking, driving, using the bathroom w/o any problems. Ready to be released for work and start working out again. Stomach is smaller now than before. WeAring same clothes prior to surgery. Main things you will need are small pillow, stool softeners, water and compy clothes. You can do this. Up same day of surgery walking in the hospital. Follow doctor instructions and take meds as prescribed. Waiting is much harder than the surgery. Relax, have faith and trust your surgeon.
I was wondering if you had your cervix removed. My surgery is this Thursday. I am very scared. It is very nice to hear some positive stories though. Thanks so much for sharing.
Unread 04-23-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcshortie View Post
My surgery is this Thursday. Terrified. Could use some really positive stories. Scared of the pain, being able to pee and bowel movements plus moving around.
I was so worried that I would be one of those stories of the take home catheter. I drank as often as I could, and they had to empty my bag when they came to visit, good sign things were moving. They had me go on a walk, and then later that night I asked the night tech if she had time if we could walk again and I was able to. It really does help everything get in motion. Passing gas, hilariously is a good sign, tell your nurse - it means things are moving correctly.

By the time they pull the cath the morning after, and before I left I had urinated several times and also passed a bowel movement (note: that was surprising to everyone so if you don't pass bowel movement in the hospital, that's ok!).

My worst pain for me was that they 'packed' me (read: shoved my whoohaa full of gauze) because I had to get stitches (vagina tore).
Unread 04-24-2017, 05:56 AM
Re: Positive recovery reports. Scared of the pain, being able to pee and bowel movements plus moving around.

I'm 6 days post op from davinci hysterectomy but kept cervix. I had both ovaries removed a bladder sling and my vagina rearranged all due to prolapse. I was so scared about coming home with cath but no problem, no gas issue, took milk of magnesia after day 4 of no BM so no problem. Pain in hospital but now only take Motrin. Only issue I have is burning pain in groin when I walk but I had a lot of work done up there called a sacro copoplexy so I'm hoping thatll stop soon! I'm 52. Don't worry! You will be fine!
Unread 04-24-2017, 07:30 AM
Re: Positive recovery reports. Scared of the pain, being able to pee and bowel movements plus moving around.

Hi! I'll echo a bunch of the comments above- the pre-op was by far the worst of it for me- I worried about so many things that never turned out to be an issue- my brain felt like a pinball every time I found something new to worry about. Overall, it has been easy. I'm a little over a month out, and I think about it once in a while, but probably 5% of what I did pre-op. Google a video on how to get out of bed following surgery- it really helps! At this point, hystersisters is more a part of my daily routine- it's like a bunch of virtual friends/support- the idea of not visiting the site is sort of like that first day of kindergarten- you don't want to be without your support system- even though things are good.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register