Insomnia Help Needed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Insomnia Help Needed Insomnia Help Needed

Unread 08-29-2002, 06:05 PM
Insomnia Help Needed

I've always had it--been much worse since surgery in 01, now is back. I had that horrific problem with the psych-prescribed drug last week. Now even what used to be somewhat helpful for me doesn't work (lorazepam combined with oxycodone) and the usual OTC stuff (benadryl) is useless. Is anyone using anything effective for insomnia that does NOT cause problems? I do need relief but am really afraid to try anything new at this point. I can sleep about 2 hours at a stretch, then awake for an hour or or two, then back... Just dragging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2002, 09:25 AM
Insomnia Help Needed

Ellen,

Not sleeping is a bummer

When I had my surgery and dx, and had some sleeping problems, I used restoril, which is a medication in the same class as lorazapam. It provided about 6 hours of sleep with basically no side effects for me. I've also heard good things about ambien which is a different medication and helps a lot with falling to sleep.

No real answers here, but maybe enough to start a discussion with your doc?

Dorrie
Unread 08-30-2002, 05:46 PM
Hi Dorrie and Thanks!

Would you believe I've tried Ambien with no success whatever? I checked restoril (temazepam) on WebMD and jumped when I saw some of the possible side effects--they are ones I had with the Seroquel I was prescribed. I know all drugs have side effects but right now I'm still afraid to try anything in that category that might have something similar to what happened--so I hope that eventually I'll just get so tired I'll "sleep it off" or whatever. Maybe I can have good counts next Tuesday and get carboplatin and get the chemo fatigue and sleepiness I had last year...Awful thing to wish for! Right now the 2 mg lorazepam plus a 5mg oxycodone sort of help--at least I'm not restless awake and worried about it--just relaxed/awake/drowsy. Hey--appreciate your reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2002, 07:14 PM
Insomnia Help Needed

Hi Ellen, have you tried any natural products, like valerian root or melatonin. They are not as effective as sleeping pills but many people find them helpful, esp. melatonin (same chemical your brain uses for sleep). Valerian is calming so you can fall asleep and melatonin is good for jet lag and getting sleep patterns back to normal.

Hope you find sweet dreams soon.
hugs
Unread 08-31-2002, 09:38 AM
Insomnia Help Needed

Hi Ellen!
I remember having a terrible time sleeping when I was going through chemo......I tried everything, and like you I would sleep for a couple hours then be wide awake for hours, then try again. That is not a restful nights sleep by any means. I would wake feeling like I didn't close my eyes at all.

I was on Ativan during that time, and although I have heard that worked for alot of people taking it at bedtime, it did nothing for me.

I am sure you have probably already looked on the net, but I did find this site which has lots of suggestions Ellen. Perhaps there is something here that you haven't seen yet.

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/

I hope you are able to get some restful nights soon!!
Hugs
M. xoxoxo
Unread 08-31-2002, 10:41 AM
Insomnia Help Needed

Hi Ellen--

My doctors have me on Ambien 5 mg every night -- it seems to work for me (at least I'm sleeping okay -- ha ha!) I know that trazodone is something that doctors prescribe a lot for sleeping that seems to work well for a lot of people. Another thing that really works for me is clonazepam -- both for sleeping and for anxiety. 2 mg of clonazepam is enough for me to get to sleep and 0.5 to 1 mg is enough for anxiety. My doctor prefers clonazepam to lorazepam because it seems to work longer than other benzos do...

Love,

Cyndy
Unread 09-01-2002, 07:52 AM
Thanks for Suggestions...But...

That one horrible experience I think has done me in. I checked out all the drugs listed by you (Ambien is useless on me--tried it with no success) and frankly the side effects listed on WebMD scare me so I wouldn't consider any of them. Boy--one bad experience is all it takes. Guess I'm just stuck with insomnia forever! Now I hear some people have problems with it while on neupogen--which I'm afraid is coming. I wonder if the night staff here would like company--I could help clean, do laundry, answer emergency calls... I shouldn't joke--it's an awful thing, I sure appreciate the help though.
Unread 09-13-2002, 05:28 PM
Insomnia Help Needed

There is a new drug called Sonata. It is similar to Ambien but has a shorter duration of action (eg, if you have 4 or more hours of sleep time left you can take it so if you wake up in the middle of the night you can take it to help you fall back asleep).

Have you tried meditation? I've been trying to learn yoga (I'm still trying to avoid a hyst for my cancer) and one of the companion things is meditation. I'm still learning how to do it but it does seem to clear my mind and help me to go to sleep at night. We bought a CD of meditation music and that helps give me something to concentrate on.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register