Upcoming hysterectomy 5/12: Pain management post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 5/12: Pain management post-op Upcoming hysterectomy 5/12: Pain management post-op

Unread 05-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 5/12: Pain management post-op

I'm scheduled in 2 weeks and most of the questions I had, have been answered in the many, many posts on here already. I do have a question about pain meds though and would love feedback.

I can't tolerate opioids in general. I'm not allergic, I just get so jerky and jittery and nauseous that I'd rather be in pain. Except that I would rather NOT be in pain if I have a choice. I had 2 c/s and experienced little to no pain, manageable with Advil BUT that was 15 years ago and I was a LOT quicker to heal. Additionally,a few weeks ago I had an attempted ablation with DNC and those cramps afterwards rivaled labor pains. So even with all I've read, I'm getting nervous about that level of pain and Advil as my only option.

What worked and what didn't work for you? I'd love some good options to take to my doc and anesthesia team.
Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2017, 02:29 PM
Re: Pain management

My husband gets ill with opioids as well. Let your doctors know and they can also give you anti nausea meds to control it.
Unread 05-01-2017, 03:11 PM

I was only on opioids the first couple of days after surgery. After that I did fine on OTC "extra strength" (400 mg) ibuprofen. One thing you can do is to alternate ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) with acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) every three hours. You can do this because the two medications are metabolized differently by your body.

One of our sisters didn't have opioids at all but rather Toradol and Tylenol. Toradol is an NSAID like ibuprofen, but it's stronger than ibuprofen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2017, 05:42 PM

What many do not realize is what are the most common causes for pain the first week post surgery:
- surgical trapped gas
-> opioids/pain killerswill not help
-> water and walking will help

- opioids/pain killers can contribute to constipation, and for many it creates pain not being able to have their first post op BM

Of course, you may experience some aches due to surgery, heating pad helps a lot too

Please discuss with your doctor, but do not stress about not being able to take opioids.
Unread 05-01-2017, 07:01 PM

I was freaked out over the thought of taking narcotics, just didn't like the idea, had never taken them. Luckily for me, the protocol at the time at the hospital where I had my surgery was to give tylenol and toradol in the iv instead of narcotics, studies having shown that they work very well for surgical pain. I had really no pain to speak of, and once they took my iv out at 2 am, I didn't need anything else. I also luckily didn't have an issue with gas or constipation.. hope all goes smoothly for you!
Unread 05-01-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPMS View Post
What many do not realize is what are the most common causes for pain the first week post surgery:
- surgical trapped gas
-> opioids/pain killerswill not help
-> water and walking will help

- opioids/pain killers can contribute to constipation, and for many it creates pain not being able to have their first post op BM

Of course, you may experience some aches due to surgery, heating pad helps a lot too

Please discuss with your doctor, but do not stress about not being able to take opioids.
Pain is different for everyone, and can occur for different reasons. Some women have little to no pain, while others have higher levels of pain.

I had a TAH BSO, and therefore did not have any trapped gas - there is no gas used with an open abdominal procedure. I had moderately high pain levels which were controlled with narcotics alternating with Motrin. I was on this combination for the first five days, after which I went on Motrin only. I took the Motrin-only route for the next two weeks. By the start of the third week, I was off everything.

I understand how Lhuffstutler feels about narcotics. I do not like them that much either. Talk to your doctor about your reaction to narcotics, as there are plenty of options out there that they can point you to. You just do not know how much pain you will be in until you are there. Here is some information on Communicating Pain after Hysterectomy so that they can give you the right level of pain meds.

Unread 05-01-2017, 09:02 PM

I have not had any narcotics since I left the hospital. My doctor sent me home with a prescription for Ultram, which is non narcotic. I used it when I needed more than Advil (or alternated) and it has worked great.

Best of luck to you!!
Unread 05-02-2017, 05:18 AM

Hello!

I also get nauseous. My Dr. gave me tylenol with codeine. I only needed to take one and it seemed to do the trick.

Good luck to you.
Unread 05-02-2017, 08:39 AM

Thanks all! I am grateful for the feedback!
Unread 05-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 5/12: Pain management post-op

[quote=marestail;1527141889]Pain is different for everyone, and can occur for different reasons. Some women have little to no pain, while others have higher levels of pain.

I understand this, this why I didn't dismiss surgery pain.

I had a TAH BSO, and therefore did not have any trapped gas - there is no gas used with an open abdominal procedure. I had moderately high pain levels which were controlled with narcotics alternating with Motrin.

Also, I mentioned trapped surgery gas based on profile surgery type

Many do not understand pain can be caused by gas & constipation post op and think prescription pain killers is the answer. I wanted to reassure that it may not being able to take opioids may not be a bad thing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register