T Minus 2 Days -yikes! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

T Minus 2 Days -yikes! T Minus 2 Days -yikes!

Unread 09-03-2002, 06:31 PM
T Minus 2 Days -yikes!

I am scheduled to have my TAH on Sept 6th. Have a uterus the size of a 7 month pregnancy - been supposed to have this TAH for seven years now, but kept putting it off. Had to finally give in -the fibroids are now so large they are causing my kidneys to swell. I HATE having surgery and would do anything to stay on THIS side of the table (I manage a surgery practice and don't like the thought of being the patient). Had a bad experience before....

Had my right ovary removed 8 years ago (I thought I was having a hyst then - that's what I thought I'd consented for...but I woke up and he'd only taken the right ovary with the instruction to come back for the uterus at a later time) When I came out of the anesthesia I vomited and vomited and was miserable! The lovely compassionate nurses were very hateful and kept smacking my face telling me to wake up and get ready to go home. I am very sensitive to anesthesia and take forever to wake up even after telling them to give me very little of it.

Well, after a few rounds of face-smacking the nurses suddenly became really nice and arrived in tandem (one on each side of the bed) to announce that "their count wasn't right" and they "think they might have eft something in there". Dear Dr was trying to remove a grapefruit-size ovary laproscopically and in all that pulling and tugging, he broke the end off the pincher-thingy (how's that for a technical term!) and they wanted to take me back to xray to see if they could find it. Well, as it tuned out, it was there in all it's beauty on the xray.

I begged Dear Dr not to make me go back under anesthesia and promised that I wouldn't sue him if he'd just forget it. He agreed (people live with surgical staples in them I told myself). My hospital and doctor bill were both written off. Ironically, in the how-can-people-be-that-stupid category, the hospital later inadvertently sent me a copy of my bill showing a 100% write off for "Failed Quality Assurance". They didn't even send any charges to the insurance company or charge me with any copayments/deductibles.

So, ladies, I am dreading visiting such a lovely establishment again (although this time I chose a different hospital and doctor).

By the way, what are they giving for pain these days and just how bad is it? I am allergic to codeine and hate Demerol (I hallucinate and talk to people that I KNOW are not in the room...spooky!)

Has anyone done that local anesthetic catheter directly into the incision site rather than the systemic pain meds?

I had my pre-op work today and I have left-axis deviations on my EKG....have to get a stress test after surgery.

So remind me again why I am I doing this? One nice thing about this is thinking that I might actually be able to breathe again without this big squashing feeling in my abdomen. I saw a picture on the Net last night of a doc removing a huge - I think it was something like a 30lb fibroid. DH asked me what I would do if it was that big. I told him I'd literally jump off the table and dance around the OR.

Thanks for all your posts. I must admit I DON't like hearing everyone talking about the swelly belly and inevitable weight gain. I'm gonna have to go back and resurrect my old friend Dr. Atkins if that's the case!

Wish Me Luck'
PJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2002, 06:42 PM
T Minus 2 Days -yikes!

Wow Paula! No wonder you arent looking forward to your surgery. You have really had some bad experiences! I would feel the same way Im sure.... what a nightmare. Well here is some good news... You can have a hysterectomy by epidural and you wont be sick afterwards. When I had mine, I was awake in the OR but asked to be put under. You can do it either way. When I woke up in recovery, I had almost all the feeling back in my legs. Later when I was taken to my room, I was not nauseated at all, no headaches, sickness of any kind. I was given Torodol the first 24 hours and Percoset after that... (I never finished my RX once I got home). I didnt have any kind of pump nor did I need it. My pain was tolerable and I had no problems with the surgery or recovery. I put my surgery off too for a couple of years. Now I think I must have been off my rocker. I have one ovary... everything else was removed. I am not on HRT and so far everything is functioning properly. I feel great, have loads of energy and dont regret for one minute having this done. I had never had any kind of surgery before so this was a big deal for me!
Talk to your doc/anesth. about the epidural. My doc suggested it to me. I thought he was crazy. It's the way to go and if I ever have to have any kind of surgery again, I'm doing it the same way!
Best of luck to you Paula and hang in there. It does get better!
Unread 09-03-2002, 07:13 PM
T Minus 2 Days -yikes!

Apologies for being brief - gotta run...

Consider a spinal.

Ask them to remove your "spare part" (from last time) while they're in there.

Congrats on choosing a different Dr/hospital! Let's hope they have fewer "QA" problems there.

Weight gain is not inevetable - none here.

Good luck with everything, including the stress test!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register