dealing with cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

dealing with cancer dealing with cancer

Unread 09-04-2002, 01:22 PM
dealing with cancer

At first, I don't think I was convinced I needed to consider myself someone with cancer. I knew I was healthy (at least before that stupid tumor started growing ...) and I rarely feared much of anything.

That all changed when I read my surgical report and began to understand that cancer did reside within my body and it had to be annihilated. I was completely overwhelmed with fear and the thoughts of the worst case scenario.

However, little by little my faith in the LORD "caught up" with my emotions. My husband, my parents and friends would say and do simple things that just took my mind off my circumstances. I finally realized that I was positive person before I was told what was in my body and nothing could change that unless I allowed it.

This is still very new for me but rollercoaster emotions are normal for we es that are dealing with cancer concerns. Seek out "counselors" whether they serve you via their profession or their love for you. Avoid attempting to deal with all of this by yourself. We are not alone -- through good day and not-so-good days!

s to you all! Together we will walk this out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2002, 02:23 PM
dealing with cancer

THIS IS SUCH WONDERFUL ADVICE,
THANKS MUCH, WE COULD ALL USE A PICK ME UP!!
Unread 09-04-2002, 02:36 PM
Hi Trese

Good post--good advice! Rollercoaster--tell me about it! I've been riding it lately--as have others here. Anytime you need to question, vent, give news (good or not so good), or just talk--come on and post. We act here out of love and concern and friendship for one another. I also have a good social worker/counselor who's a survivor (breast) and knows the emotions--9/19 is next visit with her. What Stage ovarian are you? Yours was a good post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2002, 05:31 PM
dealing with cancer

Trese,
This was perfect. Thank you. It should always be at the top so the newly diagnosed can share in the hope.....and to know that the HysterSister community is here for the peaks and the valleys.
Thanks,
Laura
Unread 09-04-2002, 05:50 PM
dealing with cancer

s Trese

It's great to see you posting on CC!! Welcome! I read your post on an earlier thread and I am glad to see you will be getting chemotherapy. I know you were an early stage, but with clear cell, chemo is a great idea!
Do you know how many treatments are planned?
There are a couple of us here who have done chemo for ovarian cancer.
We are on the ready to share tips, encouragement and hugs.
You are a strong lady and will get through this time.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.

karenann
Unread 09-05-2002, 05:54 AM
dealing with cancer

Your notes bless me. Thank you so much. I had actually meant to post a reply to another thread started by someone who needed encouragement. (I was in some sort of fog yesterday because I also posted that I was also four week post-op.)

karenann, thank you for your encouragement. The more my DH and I learned about the condition of my pelvic area at surgery and the cancer, I knew I should do the chemo. It was a difficult decision but once I started listening to the gyn/oncologist, I knew.

I begin a series of three treatments (Taxol and carboplatin) on Wednesday, September 11. I have decided to shave my head *before* it begins to fall out from the chemo and I already have a great ball cap from my parents. My son picked out the most cuddly teddy bear for me to take with me, too. So, I plan to march in, sit down, squeeze my DH's hand and tell 'em to "fill me up" ... and hope the tears are as few as possible.

I am so glad I found this site. Words are not adequate to express how much the support and s mean to me. It has moved me through just when I needed it!
Unread 09-05-2002, 06:23 AM
dealing with cancer

s Trese

So you will be getting three treatments of taxol and carboplatin. My oncologist told me before chemo started that: " my anticipation of chemo will be worse than the reality of chemo." And he was so right. With the right anti nausea meds, it is so doable.
You will find that you don't start to lose your hair until almost two weeks after the first treatment. So don't be in too big a hurry to shave. I waited until the free fall began at about day sixteen, and then I took control with a razor as well. I was prepared with a wig, that I never adapted to. Hats were my thing.
Your attitude is wonderful!!! I hope you let us know exactly when you start, so we can have a well wish thread for you!

karenann
Unread 09-06-2002, 07:39 AM
dealing with cancer

Thank you again for the encouragement. I am beginning to accept the things I cannot change ... slowly but surely. God is wise and I trust Him.

karenann, what chemo did you use? I am wondering because I was told that my hair could fall out within days of the treatment.
Unread 09-06-2002, 03:26 PM
dealing with cancer

Hi Trese..
I want to be in the same boat with you. I also have ovarian cancer, am doing my last chemo shortly, and ca125 number is down to 14. I also have a very positive attitude and conquer all!!
Rosalie
Unread 09-06-2002, 03:49 PM
dealing with cancer

s Trese

I too had carboplatin and taxol. I think most people will tell you it took a little over two weeks before their hair started free falling. That's why I said don't be in too big of a hurry to shave it. Brows and lashes take much longer to come out. And perhaps since you are only getting three treatments, you will not lose brows and lashes. However brows and lashes are the first body hairs to return. Not needing to shave our legs for awhile is definitely on the plus side. My only other advice to you would be to beware of constipation when chemo starts. I got so constipated after my first two treatments. And I am not a constipated type person. I found that if I took one senokot, beginning the evening of chemo, and for the next three evenings, I could avoid it altogether. And get ready to drink large amounts of decaff fluids for the first three days after treatment. They like to get your kidneys flushed out. At least 64 oz a day I was told. Keep in touch.

karenann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register