New here, Just joined! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here, Just joined! New here, Just joined!

Unread 09-05-2002, 05:46 PM
New here, Just joined!

Hi gals
Just joined this site and am quite delighted to see all this info and support at my fingertips.
Made an appt. with my gyne because I felt an unusual lump in my lower left abdomen. She felt fibroids and the "large mass." She got me an ultrasound within a week where the tech and another dr. were silently going ohhh and ahhh. That same evening after work, my gyne calls me to tell me that she has scheduled me for a full hysterectomy in 3 weeks. Just talked to her yesterday (after her 2 wk vacation and after looking at blood results) and I most probably have cancer BUT my pap came back fine. Ovarian, uterine - who knows. But she mentioned the possibility of a portocass during surgery which will be discussed at my appt on Sat. with the gyne-oncologist.
Needless to say, I am freaked and have no idea what they will find once they go in. I fear other organ involvement and and unsure about my willingness to do chemo, esp. if the cancer is extensive. Obviously, lots of you women have done chemo and all I know is the generality of it being just awful. I know I have to learn what kind of cancer, if it has mezzed, where it has gone, if elsewhere etc.
My surgery is Tues. so I will know soon enough.
Thanks Lynne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2002, 06:23 PM
New here, Just joined!

s Lynne

Welcome to Cancer Concerns. I am so sorry that you are going through all this, but you have come to right place for support. You said you are seeing a gyn oncologist on Saturday. I hope that this doc is a gyn oncology surgeon.
When gyn cancer is suspected, they are the experts needed to do the surgury. Not regular ob gyns. As you can tell by my signature, I feel very strongly about gyns referring to gyn oncologists for this surgery.
This time of not knowing your exact diagnosis is the worst time.
Perhaps you can spend some time on our pre and post op forums learning more about your impending surgery.
One day at a time. If need be, we will be here for you to share our experiences and offer hugs and support.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
PS: I also have a port a cath in my left upper chest. Mine was inserted three weeks after surgery. And I just want you to know that chemo was much easier than I anticipated. I don't mean to jump ahead, but wanted to address all your concerns. I still say, one day at a time.

karenann
Unread 09-05-2002, 08:36 PM
New here, Just joined!

Like Karenann says, one day at a time. I know it's hard right now. I think the pre-surgery/not knowing stage is the worst. I tried to keep myself as distracted as possible during those times.

Chemo for me wasn't nearly as bad as all those bad movies make it out to be. We live in amazing times where there are lots of drugs to help with side effects of chemo.

So, take care of yourself and do what you need to do to reduce your stress right now. You need to use that energy to heal up. Take someone with you to your appointment on Saturday so they can listen with you. It's amazing how much you miss because this stuff is so intense.

A prayer for you to my ovarian angels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2002, 09:32 PM
New here, Just joined!

Hi Lynne,
I am sorry about what you are going through. When they first mentioned cancer to me I think I got 10 hours of sleep the first week and lost 6 pounds just from the stress. If I had to do it over again I would ask for a light sleeping pill. If you are on the thin side force yourself to eat 3 times a day, really healthy foods.

You said your surgery is 3 weeks away. In Fran Drescher's book, when she found out she had cancer I think she had them schedule the surgery within days. I would bring my husband in or another male and get them to move the surgery date up. I hate to say it but sometimes you get better service if there are two of you. I would really press for moving the date up. Time is of the essence.

I'll be thinking about you and sending good energy your way.

Judy
Unread 09-06-2002, 05:50 AM
GYN/ONC appt. is good

You want a gyn/onc doing the surgery because they really are the best. I didn't know they existed and wasn't referred to one of the four here in the City. So, regular did mine. The porta-cath will be placed up in your chest area--I had mine done a month later with the first chemo. It was easy--done locally and I felt fine. As for now--I know what you're going through--every "what if" in the book. Don't be afraid to ask for sleeping medication or anti-anxiety medication if you find the going gets rough. It's harder on you since they aren't sure even what type of cancer they'll find. Was a CA125 blood test done to check the possibility of ovarian? It's not 100% accurate pre surgery (false positives and negatives) but would be another indicator for them to work on--mention this and a CT scan to the gyn/onc. I had the CT scan prior to surgery so they could see if/where things had gone. It's a lot to digest right now--one step at a time. Ask tons of questions of the gyn/onc. Later on, many of us can help you through chemo if that's in the picture.
Unread 09-06-2002, 03:38 PM
New here, Just joined!

Hi Lynne,
Please do not get yourself upset about having to take chemo. The media, T.v. movies, etc.) portray cancer patients and chemo
in the very worst possible senario. My oncologist also suggested that i stay off the interned and stop searching for information. unfortunately lots of interned info is also very depressing and may not be very true.
I have ovarian cancer and am on my last treatment of chemo.. i am takin taxol and caroplatim. Yes, 90% of my hair did fall out but i did not loose my eyelashes or eyebrows. I never got nausaus because i took the expensive pills and they worked. I also never got tingling in my hands and feet and did not get any mouth sore. The only thing i did experience was a little fatigue day 2 and 3 after the treatment. I worked the entire time and reall felt good. my ca125 number started at 454 and is now down t0 14, way below normal.
Hope all news is good news..
Rosalie
Unread 09-06-2002, 05:44 PM
New here, Just joined!

HI LYNN,
I CAN'T ADD ANYTHING TO WHAT THE OTHERS HAVE SAID AS I HAD A DIFFERENT KIND OF CANCER THAT DID NOT INVOLVE CHEMO.
I JUST WANTED TO SEND YOU GOOD WISHES AND PRAYERS.
S YOU WILL BE FINE, JUST FOLLOW THE DOCYORS ORDERS,
Unread 09-07-2002, 07:12 AM
what she said!

I want to echo puppy---
just know there are lots of ladies who are lifting you in prayer, and who are behind you all the way. Pre surgery is the hardest part.

You will be covered on your trip to the castle. We are pulling for you!
Unread 09-07-2002, 09:19 AM
New here, Just joined!

Lynn,
Another sister signing on to wish you luck. There's a great group of women here. They wiped out most of my fears from either great information or group cyber hugs.

I had a different type of cancer but certainly had the same worries. I always say women are stronger than cancer *punch* especially in packs!!

Keep posting; we're all here for you.
s,
Laura
Unread 09-09-2002, 03:22 PM
I know EXACTLY what you're going through!

Lynne

I wanted to send my good luck wishes and prayers your way as well. I just had surgery (9/4) and tomorrow is the day I go to the oncologist for my checkup and path report (yep... they don't know how far along my cancer is until path comes back). Waiting is HORRIBLE, but I've been trying to concentrate on the now. Thank goodness you found this site as well. It's really helped me a great deal just knowing there are many out there going through this too!

Many hugs and prayers, Ginny

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register