another surgery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

another surgery another surgery

Unread 09-07-2002, 07:31 AM
another surgery

I think you're smart to do the surgery. Then you can save radiation for later if you ever need it. (I hope you won't!)

I had a horiz incision for an earlier surgery and wanted to have it again. My onc said no way because the vert incision gives them access to all lymph nodes and the ability to check for any more cancer. So I had it. I am unhappy with the scar, but the recovery really was ok. In fact better than the vert incision, because no muscle is cut with this. the scarring is worse though for me anyway and that is due to the fact that it's not the way skin normally stretches (horizontally) So the scar doesn't "hide"

Good luck with your surgery. I hope they get it ALL!
SUsanL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2002, 06:59 PM
another surgery

Hi,
My oncologist did tell me that over 3mm would have required further surgery or radiation. It sounds like the surgery is a good move. Although it is a setback, please remember that the chance that this next surgery cures the cancer is near 100%. I remember breaking down and crying all night when I thought that I needed another surgery. I know that one more hurdle seems like a lot now. Hopefully, this will be the last one. Hang in there.
Unread 09-09-2002, 06:09 PM
another surgery

Hello,

I just wanted to let you know that I also am a cervical cancer person here. I had the radical hysterectomy followed by a round of chemo and radiation. I know you don't look forward to another surgery, but it sounds like your doctors are right on top of things in taking care of you, and you definitely want to get it all out as soon as you can.

I also wanted to say that I had a suprapubic catheter, and there aren't too many of us around, so if you have questions or concerns regarding that, I'll be glad to try to help.

Good luck,

Joanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2002, 10:10 AM
another surgery

Joanie,
thanks, I do have questions about this catheter. When my gyn/onc told me about the hyster results my mind wasn't really on this catheter. He did say I will have to have it for 2 weeks and he or the RN will show me how to take care of it. I had more questions about the surgery and cancer stage then anything else. He did say I could develop a "lazy bladder" meaning no feeling when it is time to go to the bathroom. I believe he said it is a small chance. Also UTI is common.
Please give me all the info you have on this procedure, good and bad.
If anybody else can give me their input that would be great.
Andrea
Unread 09-11-2002, 07:04 PM
another surgery

Andrea,

I sent you an e-mail about the catheter -- I decided it would be too long to post on the forum.

I did just notice that you mentioned "lazy bladder" and I didn't touch on that in the e-mail, so I'll just quickly say that when the catheter was first removed, I didn't have the strong urge to "go" that I used to have. I would watch the clock and go every 3-4 hours just to be on the safe side so my bladder didn't get stressed. This got better over the period of probably a month or a little more, and now it is completely back to normal. I didn't have any problem with uti's while I had the catheter (they had me on an antibiotic the whole time as a precaution), and I haven't had a problem with that since!

Joanie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register