Endometrial Cancer, I'm so scared - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrial Cancer, I'm so scared Endometrial Cancer, I'm so scared

Unread 09-08-2002, 09:38 PM
Endometrial Cancer, I'm so scared

Judy,

I am so sorry you are worrying so much. I had endometrial cancer, stage 1, grade 3. The staging, which is how much the cancer has spread, was not done until after my hysterectomy (6/4/02). The grading was done at the time of diagnosis. My gyn was very concerned about the cancer being a grade 3 (more aggressive/poorer prognosis), but both he and my gyn/onc said that the stage was important. Since mine turned out to be stage 1 (no spread--it had been caught early and had only superficially invaded the uterine wall), no further treatment was recommended by the gyn/onc. I had less than a week from diagnosis to hysterectomy, and learned the stage late in the day following the surgery. My gyn was the first to read the path report, just after he stopped in to see me, and he practically ran back in to give me the good news that the cancer had not spread, although he said that the gyn/onc would have to review the results and make any further treatment recommendations. The next morning, my gyn/onc checked the results, and was all smiles when he told me I wouldn't need any further treatment.

I know what you mean about being alert to and worrying about every little pain; I find it hard to not think that way. I'm determined, though, that in 5 years, I'll be celebrating my 5 year cancer free anniversary! In the meantime, I'm going to be very faithful about checkups! Several members of my family are long term cancer survivors, and I see no reason I should be any different! This site has been great for information and encouragement. My doctors (gyn and gyn/onc) have both been great about answering questions--I called the gyn/onc so much in the few days between my diagnosis and surgery that the receptionist started to recognize my voice! My gyn was the one to give me the bad news. By the time he called me, he had already talked to the gyn/onc that he referred me to, and knew that I could get in quickly to see him. When he called me, I was in shock, and didn't even know what to ask. He called me at home that night, after I had had a chance to process the fact that I had cancer, and talked to me for about 15 minutes--about the grade, staging, my fears, treatment options, where to look for further info, and the fact that endo ca is usually very slow growing and often caught early because of the symptoms. He was very calming without building up any false hopes. He called me again the night before surgery, to see how I was doing and answer any questions I had about what would happen the next day. And, he assisted the gyn/onc with my surgery. (All this from a doctor I had only been seeing for 3 months!) Both doctors were wonderful, and never made me feel that any question I had was unimportant. I hope you have the same kind or response from your doctor! Please don't hesitate to call your doctor with questions!

I hope you can get your surgery moved up, but endometrial cancer is generally a very slow growing cancer. I read Fran Drescher's book, "Cancer Schmancer", and she went two years from the onset of symptoms to diagnosis; her cancer was stage 1/grade 2. Hopefully, everything will be fine for you! If you don't get your surgery moved up, Oct 1 is my birthday, and I like to think it is a good day. My thoughts will be with you--whether your surgery is Oct 1 or earlier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2002, 09:19 AM

Judy,
I just wanted to join the rest of the sisters to give you a group hug. Try not to worry (right!). At surgery, I had Stage 1, Grade 2 and still all I needed was the surgery. I was a mess before surgery - my imagination went wild. Every time I'd post here and feel much better.

I had surgery on 8/6 and since then my imagination has behaved. Waiting really is the worse part. Calm down, try not to worry about things you can't change but be sure to put them in the great lessons learned column to be used for you and your family. My lessons learned column is realllly long and hope to continue adding to it. By the time I'm 90, maybe I'll get it right!!
s and es,
Laura
Unread 09-09-2002, 02:40 PM

HEY, JUDY

I HOPE YOU SEE THE BRIGHTER SIDE NOW. THERE ARE MANY MORE LADIES OUT THERE THAT HAVE HAD THE SAME CANCER.

YOUR GOING TO BE O.K. (PROMISE)
DID YOU GET TO TALK TO YOUR DOCTORS ANYMORE?? THEY WILL PUT YOUR MIND AT EASE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2002, 06:48 PM

Puppy
What has been the protocal for your follow ups since your surgery? I had a hyst for stage 1, grade 2 endo c on July 13, 2002. I have been to my post op appt, but I am unsure what to expect with follow ups. Also, are you going to your regular GYN for follow ups or to the onc/gyn? My GYN says she can handle the follow ups and since I have been going to her for almost 20 years I naturally would feel more comfortable, but wonder if I am making a mistake by not going to onc/gyn. What was the stage of your endo c?
I have enjoyed reading your posts and they have been very helpful, especially right after surgery, when I was scared out of my wits.
Unread 09-10-2002, 10:57 AM

Cwilli, Thank you for sharing your story! It makes me feel much more positive about my case. I saw the doctor yesterday and he said when they remove the uterous the pathology could be worse or it could be not so bad. I am so happy for you that it was a stage 1 and had not spread! What a wonderful gift.

Puppy2, Hi! Yes I am working on being positive like you. Thank you.

Laura, I followed your surgery date and was so happy everything worked out ok. I like your lessons learned list. That's a good idea. Whenever I tell my brother about something I did that turned out wrong he says, "Ask yourself 'What did I learn from this?'"

Bye everybody,

Judy
Unread 09-12-2002, 08:52 PM

Okay, I have a surgery date: Sept. 19th, next Thursday. I am terrified but glad to get a closer date.

Bye.

Judy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register