Working During Chemo? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Working During Chemo? Working During Chemo?

Unread 09-08-2002, 08:35 AM
Working During Chemo?

I was just diagnosed with ovca stage 1 and fillopian tube ca stage 1 or 2. Had Or 8/23 and will begin Chemo soon. Do any of you know if you can work durring chemo? I have a strong desire to return to work & "normal" routines asap. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2002, 02:49 PM
Reply to Ruth S

Hi Ruth,
I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Sounds like it was found fairly early which is always good. You will find a great deal of support here, and lots of hugs too as you being your chemo as there are a few of us here with ovca.

Ruth, alot of the ladies have been able to work through their treatments without too many problems. Depending on the chemo you have, you may sail right through without many side effects at all. Many of the women here had the taxol carboplatin potion, and that one seems to be a good one with minimal effects.
Mine was a different combo, and my treatments were Monday to Friday every 3 weeks, and one other drug administered every Tuesday of each week. So....I had alot of chemo over a short period of time and I was one of the unfortumate ones who had just about every side effect. I was able to remain off work, and was off from Sept - January which I was very grateful to be able to do.

I sure know what you mean about returning to a normal routine. Once I was able to go back to work, I knew I was going to be ok, and thats a good feeling!!

Everyone reacts differently to different chemos, and hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones who sails right through without the side effects.
Wishing you all the best, and remember we are all here for you as you go though your treatments. We know what you are going through, and will do our best to help with any questions we can or just to offer a hug!!

Lots of hugs and prayers coming your way Ruth!!
Maria
Unread 09-08-2002, 05:34 PM
Working During Chemo?

s Ruth

I too had ovarian cancer. I see that you are an early stage, great news!
Perhaps you will only need three chemo treatments.
I saw on your profile that you are an RN. Me too!!!! I work in an ICU. My oncologist was very adamant that I should not work during my six treatments. He did not want me in the hospital environment in any capacity. Too many germs and viruses in the air.
It might depend on what type of nursing work you do.
I received taxol and carboplatin. My side effects were minimal, yet slightly accumulative as treatment went on. Loss of appetite, occasional leg pain, and general tiredness. Basically just a yucky feeling. I always felt great the day after chemo. Then the yucks would hit for three to five days by the last treatment. All in all, I will say chemo was easier than I had anticipated.
Best wishes to you. Keep in touch. We are loaded with tips, hugs and encouragement.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2002, 03:14 AM
Working During Chemo?

Thanks for your help. This gives me some idea of what to expect. I meet with the onclolgist tomorrow for the first time. Thanks. I'll keep tuned to this site. Ruth
Unread 09-09-2002, 05:49 AM
Worked During Chemo--Clerical

I did government clerical work and was basically able to work through chemo. Dr. did have me stay home during first cycle to see how things would go--I could've gone back after about a week (but it was good to be home during the hair falling out crisis). I'd get mine on Thursday but 4 weeks apart due to count problems. Would go into work until time to leave for the hospital and then be out that day and Friday. I'd be back on Monday, although I would leave "easy stuff" for Monday since I'd still be tired sometimes. Would take off for bloodwork, CT's, etc. If you're in a hospital Dr. might say no--all that sickness around, body fluids, etc. and you'd have a lowered immune system. It's doable depending on side effects--mine were mostly just fatigue that would hit about Friday noon and run anywhere from then until Sunday sometime. I didn't have a lot of physical strength so I couldn't run errands up and down floors (we were split on two floors) and our files on rolling tracks were often too heavy to push for me. I did have to cut back on the physical stuff. You were caught early--that gives you a good outlook!
Unread 09-09-2002, 07:48 AM
Working During Chemo?

Hi Ruth

I didn't have chemo, but a number of ladies in my office have had chemo for breast cancer and worked -- but often part time.

I think if you are comfortable enough to work and have the sort of job where you can come late/leave early and not have too much pressure placed on you, then working is a great idea.

On the other hand, if your job is one where you really need to be "on" all the time (like an ICU nurse) or one that can be physically stressful or expose you to nasty germs - then perhaps staying home is best.

Let us know how it goes with the oncologist

Dorrie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register