Thanks and a question from Gingin | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Thanks and a question from Gingin Thanks and a question from Gingin

Unread 09-09-2002, 05:17 PM
Thanks from gingin

Thanks everyone for your well wishes! This is the first chance I've had to get to the computer since surgery. I was out the day after (had lap) mainly because I was scared to stay any longer due to the sloppy care I had the night of my surgery (IV put in hand slipped out and my hand filled with IV juices and pain killer - only good thing about this was it took the focus away from abdominal pain!).

I'm pretty much up and around. Luckily I have lots and lots of help at home so things are running smoothly on that front.

I find out about path report tomorrow so you can imagine what I'm feeling right about now.

I'm having a huge problem sleeping, however. This surgical menopause has hit me full force. I can take the night sweats, it's that my head starts throbbing around 6pm and continues all night. My heart is also racing all night, like I'm running. Don't have a clue what to do, but will ask DR tomorrow. If anyone has any suggestions, I can sure use them. As you all probably well know, I can't take any estrogen or estrogen-like supplements.

Hope I wasn't too long winded, but hey... you guys asked for it!

Thanks again, love and hugs, Ginny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2002, 06:37 PM
Thanks and a question from Gingin

I also had surgery for endometrial cancer, stage 1. I am at a little over 8 weeks post op and the sleeping is getting better but I still wake several times a night, go right back to sleep but never get that wonderful un-interupted sleep. I really miss that! I have at time resorted to taking half a zanax and that seems to help. My onc/gyn encouraged me to take an ERT. He said that recent studies show no ill effects for women that had endo c, but my regular GYN said she would prefer I wait a couple of years before starting a replacement therapy....so who do you listen to???? Several women on this board take ERT after their hyst for endo c. So far I am toughing it out without ERT and it really isn't so bad. I started taking Black Cohosh last week. My reg gyn said that would have no estrogen effect so that should be fine.
You are from my old stomping grounds.....actually the Palm Beach area.....We plan to retire there someday.
Unread 09-10-2002, 05:59 AM
Ginny,

I'm glad you're home safely from your surgery. It's such a relief to get all that cancer out. Try not to worry about your path report, but be sure to post as soon as you hear. I came home from the hospital before the results were read. My gyn/onc called me at home to tell me the good news - Stage 1, Grade 2. Surgery got it all.

It's been five weeks since surgery and I'm surprised I still worry some when I know I shouldn't. I had my first post-op appointment yesterday. Couldn't sleep for three nights prior to the appointment then slept like a baby last night after the appointment. That cancer head can really get you.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the menopause symptoms. I went through menopause without HRT prior to the cancer. I really didn't have to many symptoms, but knowing there was no choice about HRT probably helped my acceptance of the symptoms.

Lots of s,
Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2002, 07:06 AM
Hi Ginny

Sounds like you had more of a dungeon experience than a castle one. Glad you're home and let's hope for a path report that shows a very favorable future. Sleeping... ah yes... I remember those days. It does take a while after surgery to get back into a pattern. I would be up at 2 and 3 in the morning on the computer because I couldn't. I was "hit" at recurrence with hot flashes/night sweats. GYN recommended Remifemin for me, which I think is soy--but then there's soy controversy, so I'm taking nothing. It isn't fun. Be sure to mention the heart symptoms to the doctor. Something mild to help you sleep or relax could be the key. Keep us posted and wishing for a favorable path report.
Unread 09-10-2002, 08:07 PM
Thanks and a question from Gingin

Ellen, my gyn recommended Remifemin, and I bought a box. On the back of the box it says it is Black Cohosh Extract. It also states in the fine print that it does not contain estrogen. My doc said NO soy for me, so I think it's safe to try it. I've read different studies--some show that Black Cohosh helps with hot flashes and night sweats and some say it doesn't do a thing. I haven't tried it yet because I haven't been miserable with menopausal symptoms, but I will if I feel the need later on. I know you are pretty careful about what you put into your body these days!

Adrienne
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register