How did YOU feel after first chemo?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How did YOU feel after first chemo?? How did YOU feel after first chemo??

Unread 09-10-2002, 12:37 PM
How did YOU feel after first chemo??

O.K. I am ready for the chemo to begin (as ready as I will ever be ...) I have made preparations and I have my wig as well as other "necessaries" for afterward. However, I would love to hear how you all felt after your first treatment. I will be having Taxol and carboplatin.

I keep wondering what to expect, especially since my GYN/Oncologist keeps saying that many people resume their normal activities after 48 hours.

Any input??

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2002, 01:36 PM

s Trese

You really have a great attitude. Good for you!!! I'll surely be thinking of you tomorrow and waiting for your first posting, post chemo.
Taxol runs over three hours. Carboplatin thirty minutes. By the time you get all the pre meds, (anti nausea medicines) you can plan on being there for quite awhile.
I always got my chemo on a Thursday. (same drugs as you) I felt perfectly normal on Thursday night and Friday. We would often stop for dinner on the way home. By Saturday morning, I had a yucky taste in my mouth, no appetite, general tired feeling, and would be constipated. Occasionally my legs, especially my knees would ache. This did not happen after every treatment. I had difficulty forcing decaf fluids because of the taste in my mouth and no appetiite. The yucky feeling lasted until Monday and then lasted a bit longer with each subsequent chemo. I did take Zofran by mouth three times a day for four days after chemo. I took this pill whether I felt slightly nauseous or not.
I can still recall my onc saying the anticipation of chemo will be far worse than the reality. And for me, he called it exactly right.
But no matter how you react, remember we are all here for you.

s karenann
Unread 09-10-2002, 03:10 PM

HI TRESE,
I JUST WANTED TO GIVE YOU A BIG , I DON'T KNOW ABOUT CHEMO , BUT I AM KNOW THERE ARE MANY LADIES HERE THAT HAD THE TREATMENTS AND ALL HAD A DIFFERENT REACTION.

GOOD LUCK AND PRAYERS , I AM SURE YOU'LL DO FINE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2002, 05:45 PM
I had Taxol/carbo too last year

Um, I don't think your gyn/onc has ever had chemo! Here's my experience. First--each treatment was different as to side effects. I had #1 on Friday in the hospital. (They do that here--up on the floor.) I was fine for about 48 hours--I mean fine--then wham! The joint/bone pain hit! Then I felt lousy for about another 48. That was the one and only time I had the joint pain they warn you about. On two of the six treatments, I had vomiting--very gentle--I'd be sitting there and think "Oh, I feel queasy" and walk to the bathroom and very gently (thankfully, I have erosions in the esophagus) throw up once and be fine. On the last five, I more or less had the major problem with fatigue. Here's what my pattern there was: I'd get chemo on Thursday. Sometime on Friday (once noon, one late evening) I'd feel the fatigue hitting. I'd then be down in bed or on the sofa flat out from that time on Friday through either some time on Sunday morning or once until about 6 p.m. Sunday night. Then it'd lift. On Monday I'd be back at work. I would, however, leave myself what I called "junk work" for Monday (that didn't require the level of concentration I usually needed) as I'd still not quite be up to par. I had only one bout of where things tasted funny--they were like dirt for a couple days. My biggest problem was with the Decadron (steroid) and the darn (Hysters will edit out the word I'd like to use) Prednisone the oncologist gave me for treatment #1 for 5 days after. (Prednisone was so bad I flat out refused it after that and told him, risking life and limb here with this guy, if he wrote a prescription I'd tear it up and leave it in the trash.) The Decadron would keep me awake and very restless that first night and would keep me somewhat hyper until I would just finally crash. I hope you don't have that problem with it. Unfortunately, you need steroids I understand with the Taxol--this time with Carbo, none for me. Take something to read while undergoing treatment--it is LONG and boring--and I am serious about this if you are OK during #1--something to eat if the place you're getting it doesn't have snacks or a meal or volunteers to go to a coffee shop, etc. All ours had was orange and apple juice (both of which I can't handle with my hiatal hernia--apple juice for some reason hurts worse than orange and apple also can send me to the bathroom) and fake cranberry juice. Good luck. As Karenann says, anticipation is worse than treatment. Let me add this--some women get very nervous and upset as they go in for treatment and can get a crying spell or panicky--this is OK! Some don't (I didn't, even though walking down that hall gave me dread) but it is OK. You are an individual so you will react differently from others--whatever, it is OK.
Unread 09-10-2002, 08:03 PM

Like Ellen said, your oncologist obviously has never had chemo. (Now there's a thought...)
I had 6 treatments of taxol and carbo. once every 3 weeks. The first 2 days I felt pretty good. The next 3 days I felt pretty crummy. Like I had the flu. Muscle and bone aches mostly. Sometimes I took vicodan when it really bothered me. That helped me get off of the couch and doing something for myself. I took zofran and never had too much of a problem with nausea. The worst part for me was the awful constipation. The chemo is constipating and the zofran is constipating and I think everything is constipating! I took everything and nothing helped too much. I had to do enemas each time. UGGGG. So, keep on top of that! Ask your doctor or the chemo nurses. They (the nurses) were the ones that helped me the most. Also, drink tons of water or non caffienated (spelling?) drinks. That is a major deal.
It will be over and your hair will return. Mine is starting to come back now. It's grand to have eyelashes again! Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Unread 09-10-2002, 08:18 PM

Me again!

Deliz is right about the constipation. Like I warned you earlier, ward it off before it happens. What I discovered for me was one senokot each night for four nights beginning the night of chemo. It took me three treatments to find what worked for me. ANd even one enema. My first and last I swear!!!

karenann
Unread 09-11-2002, 05:45 AM
Courage

On a day like today, celebrating heros, you are my heros. A hero is definied as someone who does what is needed despite the fear. Thank you for showing us the way and giving us hope.
Laura
Unread 09-11-2002, 01:33 PM

Thank you! Thank you for you replies.

Well, I am home and I feel "normal" -- a bit tired but other than that, I feel good. There was a brief time when my body began to react to the Taxol and the nurses switched me over to saline and gave me more Benedryl. My vitals were stable but I was itching all over and had red spotches on my face and neck. However, after they gave me more Benedryl I was fine. The started me on a lower dose and worked it back up and I felt fine.

Praise the LORD for the way I feel. I know it is still early but I am so glad that is really isn't as bad as I thought it would be up to this point. I had no idea what to expect. I am off for a nap but just wanted to check in.

You all are such a blessing. I am so thankful for these discussion boards!
Unread 09-11-2002, 01:56 PM
Glad You're OK!

There are reactions to the chemo (taxol in particular) but it sounds like they quickly got it under control. I had one time when I itched like mad when they were infusing it--forgot about this--but no hives, etc. and the itching stopped without extra Benadryl, etc. One down, 5 to go. You'll get your reactions in a few hours/couple days--remember, no two times may be the same--here's hoping you're one of the women who gets off easy with chemo. Some have no problems or almost none--I consider myself in that group. Post if something comes up or if you start to feel crummy.
Unread 09-11-2002, 06:06 PM

s Trese

Sounds like you did great!!!! I too had a taxol reaction. Happened quite early in the infusion. THey stopped it, loaded me with more steroids, and that first infusion lasted six hours. Before treatment number two, I took steroids by mouth the day before chemo as well as IV steroids right before chemo. Never reacted again. Hopefully you won't either.

Now remember, drink, drink, drink,...... flush those kidneys, and look out constipation.

karenann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register