Scared to Death!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared  to Death!! Scared to Death!!

Unread 09-11-2002, 10:09 AM
Scared to Death!!

This is my first post, so please forgive me. I am a 33 year old working wife and mother of three. I am scheduled for a LAVH on 9-23-02. I am not sure what exactly is going to be done. So far only the uterus unless there is other damage seen when they go in there. I have endo, fibroids, and no known cancer. Endo biopsy came back negative. My pre-op visist is scheduled for the 19th. As well as pre-admit for hosp.

Please give me any advice you can. I am truly scared to death about the unknowns. I had a tubal ligation exactly 8 years to the day of my upcoming surgery.

I am a paralegal and my boss seems to think I can come back to work at least half days after two weeks and then full days after three. My DR says 6 weeks off minimum. I am not sure what will be reasonable. Anything anyone can tell me will be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Stormy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2002, 10:18 AM
Scared to Death!!

stormeeze

You have found a great site to help you along your pre and post op days. Listen to your dr's advice. Just because you work may think you can come back doesn't necessarily mean so. You will have tons of stitches healing inside. I was able to take some extra strength tylenol after the first week for the pain which wasn't to bad. It takes our bodies 6-8 weeks initially to recover. I also had to take care of 3 little ones ages 2,5, and 7 at the time but with lots of help from hubby. The hardest part for me was the no lifting rule. You have one chance to recover right so be careful. I've have heard so much that the waiting is the worst part so hang in there. Feel free to look at the pull down menus and you can do a search on the purple search button to find others (you can type in LAVH) that have had this procedure and what recovery was like for them. Good luck to you.
Unread 09-11-2002, 10:25 AM
Scared to Death!!

Thank you HappyCM3. I am so thankful that I have found this site. You all provide a wealth of information and support. I will definitely take my dr's advice. I will continue browsing and adding to my long list of questions for my dr.

Thank you again.

Stormy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2002, 03:01 PM
Scared to Death!!

Being scared is very normal. Major Surgery is a big deal. Most of us have been pretty nervous. It is wonderful that your DH will be there and is supportive. You will definitely rely on him alot in the first weeks post op.

Now then, there would have been no way I would have gone back to work that soon, if I worked outside the home.

At 2 weeks, I was barely getting so I was awake more than I was asleep! And sitting was NO fun! I walked slow for the first 3-4 weeks, compared to before the surgery, too. And some degree of fatigue was ongoing for months! Don't listen to the boss. Take all the time the Dr will give you. It still won't seem like it was enough. You will be glad you allowed yourself the recovery time you need and that your advises.
Unread 09-11-2002, 03:21 PM
Slow down and breath-

First off- My suggestion is to tell your BOSS he/she is crazy. NO way you will be doing half days after 2 weeks.
Next you have to remember- This is your body you are dealing with. IF you over do too soon YOU WILL PAY and pay dearly.
My surgery was in April- I mostly in bed for the first week. I took it a day at a time. If I felt like washing dishes I did. BUT you have to listen to your body. Your body WILL let you know when you over do. One day I felt like wonder women and thought I could do a little cleaning in the house....LOL...yea right. I bleed for 2 days after that and hurt.
I took the 7 weeks off from work. After week 2 I did go to the ball field to watch my sons game, but this was only twice that week and I was really tired just from that.
I took my time and didnt go back until I felt comfortable and the DR released me. Even after I did go back, It was very surprising how tired I would get. I could work a few hours and felt like I was there for 12.... This does get better with time.

My suggestion to you is:
1. Dont be scared. I was too but it is true, the waiting is the worst.
2. Prepare yourself that the first week is the worse as far as pain, but with each day you do get better.
3. Have plans for someone to help you.
4. Go to the store and buy feminin pads, GAS MEDICINE, cough drops, and maybe even something for constipation. BELIEVE ME- you dont want to cough the first week. Its nice to have them on hand if needed.
5. Either plan to buy a wedge pillow or stack yours up. It made me feel better than trying to lie straight on my back.
6. Go ahead and see if DR will give you the pain meds you will be taking after surgery so they can be filled and at your home before you get back home- Take them as directed- DONT WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE IN PAIN B4 taking them....
7. Wear loose BIG cloths.

Well good luck- I hope this helps you some-

Remember- REST REST REST- tell your boss NO- rest rest
I dont regret doing it, feel much better.
Keep in touch
RUNABOUT
(lynne)
Unread 09-11-2002, 04:39 PM
Scared to Death!!

Thank you all for your support. It is definitely reassuring knowing that I am not crazy taking off the entire 6 weeks. I was concerned that I wasn't doing the right thing, but you have assured me that I am! I am thankful to each of you for taking the time to reply to me.

Stormy

Unread 09-11-2002, 09:22 PM
Scared to Death!!

Stormy,

I agree with everything Lynne said - great advice.

If your employer is subject to the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), your boss cannot make you come back before your doctor releases you to work. You are entitled to up to 12 weeks of medical leave, as long as you have worked 1250 hours in the previous year.

If you are at a small law firm, perhaps you are not entitled to FMLA protection. But I hope you are.

This surgery is scary to think about, but it's really not so bad! If you trust your doctor and you know you are going to a good hospital, try to just "let go" and know that they are going to take care of you. We would all love to control everything, but we don't.

I know you're going to do fine.

Best of luck,

Jennifer
Unread 09-12-2002, 07:07 AM
Scared to Death!!

Hi Stormy!

You've already gotten some great advice here. It seems that there are ladies that have LAVH that are actually up and about in 2-3 weeks. My own experience, though, is that I will need the full six weeks. My orders were to "pretend" that I was in the hospital for the first week at home. I was on narcotic pain meds the entire first two weeks for pain. I found the surgical gas from the surgery to be very painful, and I also had severe bowel spasms for a time. It has taken another 2-3 weeks to just start getting up and getting around again. I didn't drive until about week 4. I am in week 5, and I feel little pain until late in the day, but my energy level is still short of what it was pre-surgery. A great rule of thumb that was shared by some other sisters is to only do half of what you feel like doing. That is so true. My first couple of trips out of the house just about did me in!

I hope your boss will understand. I was approved for the six weeks off by my company right off. Your boss is not your doctor, your doctor is your doctor. This is one time that you need to stand up and do what's right for you! If you must resume work in some capacity, can you do it from home? I have actually done a some things here for a few days now.

My own princess musts are:

chair for shower and a removeable shower head (massager)
firm pillow for the tummy
10" bed wedge for the bed
body pillow
lots of bottled water on hand
stool softeners, I still take two each night
lots of ibuprofen on hand for when you're done with the narcotic pain med

Good luck, Stormy. If you want to read it, my LAVH story is at the house at www below. Take care, and we'll see you in the post-op boards!

Denise
Unread 09-12-2002, 08:58 AM
Scared to Death!!

I will be taking all of your advice along with my list to the Dr. 's office on Thursday... Thanks for everything.

Stormy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register