Remifemin, And Over Counter Hrt | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Remifemin, And Over Counter Hrt Remifemin, And Over Counter Hrt

Unread 09-11-2002, 03:14 PM
Remifemin, And Over Counter Hrt

HI,
I JUST WANTED TO TELL EVERYONE THAT MOST ALL OVER THE COUNTER MESD THAT ARE SUPPOSE TO HELP WITH HOT FLASHES , NIGHT SWEATS ETC. DO INDEED CONTAIN SOY!!!
I SUGGEST THAT YOU READ AND RE-READ THE PACKAGE BEFORE YOU PAY ALL THAT MONEY JUST TO FIND OUT YOU CAN'T USE IT.
I DO THINK I BOUGHT SOME REMIFEMIN AND IT DID ALSO CONTAIN SOY WHICH WAS A NO-NO FOR ME.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2002, 04:26 PM
This Whole Area is SO Gray!

My gyn who did the surgery actually gave me Remifemin to try and later told me I could have estrogen if I wanted it! When I expressed shock, he said estrogen is "OK" for ovarian patients--and would you believe I got a booklet on ovarian from the company that makes topotecan (along with a lot of their literature) and THAT said estrogen was OK! Well--NO estrogen here and I have stayed away from the OTC with soy. Some cancers are a definite NO and some seem to be more MAYBE. We have to be careful and based on our own types of cancers make a decision--in an area even doctors can't always agree on.
Unread 09-11-2002, 05:58 PM

Puppy and Margaret, It is so hard to know what to do. The 2 gyns. I have gone to say it is ok to have estrogen, even though it is estrogen that caused the cancer. My mother had breast cancer, also caused from estrogen,_now, why would I want to take estrogen?- It just doesn't figure to me..... Candy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2002, 06:08 PM

I double checked, just to be sure because I don't want to give out misinformation, and it says very clearly on the box of Remifemin that I have: "Contains no salt, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, coloring, or preservatives." This looks like a product that would be safe to try, although studies show mixed results. I guess it all boils down to "what works for you." Right now I'm sticking with the ceiling fan!
Unread 09-12-2002, 03:52 AM

Yoohoo

First off, massive s to you brave girls.

Secondly...I just wanted to say...not all gyne cancers are estrogen dependant....ie, not all gyne cancers are triggered by, or receptive to, estrogen.

This is why some ov and breast cancer pts (and presumably uterine, too) can take estrogen without putting themselves at further risk.

But yeah..OTC meds can do as much damage, and often more, than prescription meds...we have to be SO careful with what we ingest.

Love to you all,

Tess
Unread 09-12-2002, 04:43 AM

Teacher2, What a wonderful invention, THE CEILING FAN. Mine broke this morning from overuse, I'm sure. Got to get a new one today! Candy
Unread 09-12-2002, 04:25 PM

HI LADIES,
ELLEN, YOU ARE REMARKABLE, YOU KNOW SOOO MUCH ABOUT ALMOST EVERYTHING. YOU MUST READ, READ, READ.

TEACHER, GOOD IDEA, FAN!! ME, I STILL HAVE MY A/C ON LOW WHEN I SLEEP.

LOLLIPOP, I AGREE, WHY WOULD YOU TAKE ESTROGEN?/ DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO ME.

TESS, YOU ARE RIGHT SAYING THAT ALL CANCERS ARE NOT ESTROGEN RELATED. WE MUST BE CAREFUL AND READ FOR OURSELVES. SOME DOCTORS DO SUGGEST HRT. ME, I REFUSE HRT. FAN AND A/C FOR ME!!!! S TO ALL.
Unread 09-13-2002, 05:10 AM

I researched black cohosh over a year ago after someone on this board had an oncologist recommend it. The results are at www.hormonejungle.com/cohosh.php though there's a bit more recent information coming in about it (at the top of the Desert forum).

Apparently there are two ways to prepare it. In lab experiments, the Remifemin has not shown any estrogenic activity. It apparently acts in a different way on the hypothalamus to deal with menopausal symptoms. It is the only herbal thing (other than possibly whole soy protein) that is better than a placebo on symptoms. Apparently whole soy works because of an amino acid. So you aren't missing anything if you can't take soy in a pill.

But Remifemin is someting that is worth talking over. And of course future research may prove that the phytoestrogens actually help--they apparently are more like SERMs than estrogen--SERMs are things like tamoxifen and raloxifene--working in some of the estrogen receptors in the body and shutting down others. But they don't know enough about them yet.

And yes, they are changing their understanding all the time of how the hormones work, so now there are research reports on very low dose hrt for women who have had breast cancer not increasing risk of recurrence!! I don't think I'm that tolerant of risk!

I'm taking low dose estrace but my cancer was borderline so the risks for me are different than for others.
Unread 09-13-2002, 09:46 AM

after my hyster and before the hyster path report came in, my oncologist said that my type of cancer (endom. aden) was estogen drivin and i should NOT take black cohash or evn primrose oil, let alone hrt. he said that even though the remifemin says on the box "estrogen free" that it is still an estrogen.

after the path report came back totally clear and clean (large tumor had not turned yet and all sample lymph nodes were clean and no longer any sign of aden) he said i still could not take hrt, but that i could take black cohash and evn primrose oil for my racing heart and head palpatations. he said that the estrogen was a very, very low dose. however... this was AFTER everything turned out clear.

don't know if this info is helpful or not, but wanted to share it.

and
Ginny
Unread 09-13-2002, 10:26 AM

Trish,

That's great info. My gyn onc has been pretty liberal on using estrogen for his ovarian cancer patients - but is now rethinking the risks. Right now, I'm in "taper down" mode - not to discontinue, but to see how low I can get myt estrogen dose without symptoms.

And he too suggested supplementing with Remifemin while I'm tapering down, and perhaps using that instead of estrogen, eventually.

I'm thinking of getting a bone density test too before I stop

Dorrie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register