anyone with experience with a duragesic patch? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone with experience with a duragesic patch? anyone with experience with a duragesic patch?

Unread 09-13-2002, 01:42 PM
anyone with experience with a duragesic patch?

Was wondering if anyone had used a duragesic patch and how it worked? Any problems? And when did you decide it was time to start one? I'm pondering these ?'s for myself and would appreciate any input/advice. thanks! Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2002, 02:12 PM
Me too

I too am going to ask my pain med dr. about the patch. I know Susan uses it and said so far so good, but I'm sure she will be along to let you know. I am definately interested in this and see my Dr. next Fri. I think it might be a good option....I know you have to be 110 lbs. and I'm 117 so I hope that's good enough. Love to you, Tickles
Unread 09-13-2002, 07:24 PM

Tickles, do you know if you have to get them from a pain clinc/doc or do family docs give them? Also, would you mind sharing when they become a viable option (like when vicodin every whatever time doesn't cut it?) Thanks, Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2002, 09:46 PM

Hi Judy !!

I just got home from work - Tickles is right (Hi Tickles!) I am on the Duragesic patch. I have been on it about 2 months now.
Here is how it works: It is a Transdermal system, meaning its a patch & it goes into your bloodstream through your skin. Its nice since it doesnt go through your liver (I'm already on enough meds ). And you only have to change it every 3 days. The nicest part is that you get an "even" amount of it - instead of the peaks & lows of oral meds.
My pain management dr. put me on it when the Lortabs stopped being effective. I started out on the lowest dose - 25 mg. It worked real well for about a week & a half & then the pain got real bad again. So my dr. put me on the 50 mg. & that seems to be doing the trick. I also use the Lortab for break-thru pain as needed.
The only side effects I have noticed is a little nausea for the first 2-3 wks. And I am still dealing with some fatigue - I am OK if I keep going. But if I sit down sometimes I start falling asleep - LOL ! The fatigue is starting to get better though.
I dont know if your GP would prescribe this for you or not - you will need to ask him. Drs. generally dont prescribe the Duragesic unless you are having chronic, long term pain that isnt expected to go away soon. At least thats the way I understand it so far. I'm not sure what type problems you are dealing with - I remember that you are dealing with a lot of pain
I would suggest that you make an app. with your GP - have you asked him if pain management is an option for you ? That is something you want to ask him about.
I hope you find something that works well for you - we all deserve to be pain-free & be able to function in our day to day life. Let us know what your dr. says, ok ?
Take care & let me know if you have any more questions.

(((((((hugs)))))))

Susan
Unread 09-14-2002, 09:05 AM

Hi Susan, My GP and I have discussed pain management, but I wasn't wanting to go that way if I could possibly help it. But after a bad day I think maybe I should reconsider. Do you mind sharing if you have problems with bowels when you are on the durgesic? The nausea makes sense as does the fatigue. I like the idea that it goes directly into your system and not through the liver. Do you know how Lortabs compare to vicodin? Thanks so much. Judy
Unread 09-14-2002, 10:22 AM

Judy,
I used the Duragesic Patch for about a year with great success I had to discontinue it when my body started to reject the adhesive and do I miss it! It will cause constipation as do any Narcotics. They use time-released meds when the pain is continous and cant be controlled with the shorter acting meds. Usually Pain Drs are the ones to prescribe this. Many GP's and such arent comfortable with using Narcotics long-term. Vicoden and Lortab are the same thing. Pain Magmt has been a life-saver for me! Good Luck and please keep us posted....
Unread 09-14-2002, 08:05 PM

Judy:

I havent had a "major" problem with constipation - probably because I'm usually the other way around
I have IBS & since I've been on the Duragesic my flares are not as bad. But you have to keep in mind that meds affect different people in different ways.
Good luck with finding something that helps

Susan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register