update from the urologist on bladder surgeries and wondering about Detrol | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

update from the urologist on bladder surgeries and wondering about Detrol update from the urologist on bladder surgeries and wondering about Detrol

Unread 09-13-2002, 08:43 PM
update from the urologist on bladder surgeries and wondering about Detrol

Hi sisters,
I saw a new urologist on 9/12 to discuss the incontinence problems I've been dealing with. I had a Burch procedure with my hyst in 2000. I was great for a while, then had to have a posterior repair for a rectocele and a lap for adhesions last summer. The incontinence started again about 5 months ago, and I've been doing tons of Kegels at the suggestion of my urogyn. The Kegels have only helped slightly. Anyway after seeing my urogyn about 3 weeks ago, he said he was very sorry that the Burch had failed. I was able to get into see the urologist he wanted me to talk to. I will be having tests Oct. 10 to check bladder and urethra funtion, which means more waiting of course, and we all know how fun that can be. Both of the doctors want me to try taking Detrol at least temporarily and gave me lots of samples. I am not big on meds as most of them give me weird side effects. Anyone had experience with this drug? I see the TV ads constantly about it, but I'm leary to try it. Also, here's what the urologist said about surgery options:
TVT is similar to the bladder sling, but they use different material. The TVT has a higher rate of bladder injury. This urologist seemed to feel the sling is a more sure fire bet to help the incontinece, but he wants to see my test results first. He also said some women opt for collagen injections, but that is usually done for much older women who are not good risks for surgery. I'm 42 and he thinks I'm to young for injections and anyway, no thank you I wouldn't try that anyway. I've read here some ladies have had awful results with the sling. Some seem to say TVT was great and then others also have had troubles with it. I don't think the urogyn wants to even consider the Burch again, but I do know some women have that done more than once. If the incontinence wasn't so bad, as in sometimes leaking slowly all day or gushing even if I walk fast, not to mention sometimes not even having feeling with the leaking until it's too late, I would try to live with this. What do you think about the sugeries, or Detrol? I'm just really depressed and disappointed and now I have to wait a month just to get the uro tests done. I am grateful for all of your help and insight.
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2002, 09:05 PM

Druid
I took Detrol and I loved it. After my hyst I had terrible bladder spasms and a leaky bladder. As I healed it got better, but the Detrol LA was a life saver. If I had any side effects it would have been that I had a dry mouth. I don't know for sure if it was the drug or the surgery because I seemed to be overly thirsty, even in the hospital. I don't know anything about the surgery but don't hesitate to try the Detrol. Karlene

keep us posted
Unread 09-14-2002, 07:37 AM

((((Druid))))) I know what you mean about being reluctant to take the meds, but, as Karlene suggests, why not give them a try? Might be the answer you're looking for... at least until more can be done

BTW, your symptoms are almost exactly the same as mine: I started having incontinence problems last November and have been procrastinating about going to a doctor. I did mention it to my gyn, last July, and he said I needed to see a urologyst. But then, when the RA problems flared up, I didn't even mention the incontinence to my GP

Like you, I leak when I walk. Or I'll just gush if I'm hurrying or feeling any type of stress.... and, these days, that happens a lot ... I also noticed that, suddenly, I'll stand up and will have to rush... having had no prior warning of the urge.

I'm lucky, though, 'cause, most of the time, there is only very minor leak. I know, I know: I have to drop this denial and do something about it. It's just that with all the pain I'm dealing with with the RA, I really, really don't want to contemplate another surgery. And, because of the meds I'm on for the RA, I don't even know if meds could even be considered in my case????

Druid, sorry to whine on your post. Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you. And that you're not alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2002, 07:50 AM
(((((((Druid)))))))

I am so sorry you are going through so much I wish I had some insight to share with you. I only have SI, and don't require meds or surgery.

You've probably already done this...but I found a few sites I thought you might want to look at regarding the med your doc wants to start you on. I hope they help:

http://www.detrolla.com/treatment/index.asp

http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/c8c7e.htm

http://www.bladderinfo.com/

http://www.overactivebladder.pnu.ca/

I know that you are reluctant to take meds...but perhaps some research could put your mind at ease. And wouldn't it be great if no more surgery was needed...may be worth a shot eh? Whatever you decide, please know that you remain in my prayers.

S from Jude

p.s. ((((Dany)))) Yes dear, you really should make that appointment. I'm sorry you are dealing with this too....
Unread 09-14-2002, 09:58 AM

{{{Druid}}}
The urogyn that I saw gave me detrol but I never filled the prescription so I can't help you out there. I just didn't like this urogyn and thought he was a quack, he didn't treat me very nicely and that is why I didn't fill the prescription. I have heard about detrol and it is given quite frequently for bladder problems.

There have been a few posts here about the TVT procedure. LisaM, an alumni hostess, had the procedure and from what she's told me she's been really happy with it. You could do a search for TVT here and I'm sure you'll find some good info.

I'm sending big s
Unread 09-14-2002, 04:53 PM

Druid
You and I are having almost the same problems. I tried the Detrol and it had too many side effects for me. But it may work for you. Kim, I'm wondering if you and I had the same uro. The one I was sent to was a quack as well. He was NOT nice to me. He just acted like it was no big deal. But hopefully those meds will work for you Druid...everyone is different. Love y'all.
Unread 09-14-2002, 07:46 PM
Thank you

Dear sisters,
Thank you so much for your insight and support. I'm thinking I will try the Detrol on Sunday (tomorrow) so I don't have to deal with any side effects at work. Karlene I'm glad the Detrol helped you. Dany I am so sorry you are dealing with these things like I am. I hated to even admit that something else was going wrong. Dany, you also had a posterior done with your hyst didn't you? My posterior was a year after my hsyt and the first bladder repair. I haven't even fully discussed what the doctors said with anyone, except a few details with my husband. I have a lot of urology tests scheduled for 10/10 so I guess I can at least try something while I wait. Kim and Judester you are both so kind to try and help me along with this. I can't believe I've been off and on these boards for two years! Brandystarr I am really afraid of the side effects, but I won't know unless I try. I just know I don't want to take meds forever for my bladder. I'm thinking if yet one more surgery may help I'm willing to try. That means with the time frames I will probably end up going to the castle around the holidays. I'm dreaming of a dry Christmas....
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Unread 09-15-2002, 08:10 AM

((((Druid)))) I do hope the Detrol helps and that the side effects are either minor or not even there for you.

Yes, I had posterior repair at the same time as my hyst and the doctor did warn me that I'd always have to be careful not to strain or lift anything too heavy in order to protect the repair..... and... I remember the pain from the repair and it's one of the reasons I've been procrastinating on seeing a urologyst: I don't want another repair of that kinds
Unread 09-15-2002, 09:30 AM

Druid,
This is an amazing place isn't it? I just passed my 3 year membership mark!

Sending some more s for you!
Unread 09-16-2002, 05:06 AM
Detrol

I took Detrol and it was wonderful...It helped alot...I hope it works for you....s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register