What a shock! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What a shock! What a shock!

Unread 09-15-2002, 12:21 AM
What a shock!

Hello ladies

I am about 10 days out from abnormal Pap, colposcopy, carcinoma-in-situ diagnosis. Going to do a conization next week to find out if it is invasive. I am crashing back and forth between acceptance and denial. I do have ovarian cyst, peri-menopausal, painful, heavy periods. At first I ranted and raved against a hysterectomy, now I pray not to have to go through chemo! Has anybody been through the possibility of full blown cervical cancer?

Guess I could just use a good word right now.

sherryb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2002, 12:44 AM
Welcome!

Hi, Sherry! Welcome to HysterSisters--best site for support and comfort and info! I'm glad you found us, though I'm sorry you are facing a possible hysterectomy. It is a shock to a lot of us to find we aren't healthy and need major surgery. And it is even more stressful to worry about cancer. (I worried about that, too, but fortunately was spared that diagnosis.)

If it is any comfort, cervical cancer is usually caught early before it has spread, and usually no chemo or other treatment is needed after the uterus and cervix are removed. We'll be optimistic that your carcinoma is early and confined to the cervix, and that you will have a great outcome back to a normal healthy life! You are also welcome to post on the Cancer Concerns forum where other ladies are facing cancer fears and giving each other support.

Read all you can here, and it will help you feel more prepared for your hyst and recovery. All the ladies sharing here helped me accept that a hyst would be a positive thing for my health, and I went through my surgery and recovery much more calmly! I feel great a year later! Click on the princess logo in the upper left corner, and scroll down to find lots of stories and hints from previous princesses. Feel free to ask any questions you have, and we will be here to support you on this journey! You are in good company here! s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 09-15-2002, 12:51 AM
What a shock!

Thank you Ruthie and God Bless you for your support and encouragement.

sherryb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2002, 05:08 AM
What a shock!

Hi Sherryb and welcome!

My hyster journey started with an abnormal PAP, followed by a colposcopy which showed severe dysplasia, and then a LEEP with cone biopsy which came back positive for carcinoma and the margins weren't clear.

My GYN referred me to an OCN GYN. I was given the option of either a radical hyst OR chemo/radiation. In my case, my ONC GYN said that the outcomes were the same and it was up to me. I chose to have the hyst and thankfully, the path report from surgery showed all cancer to be removed. I still have to have frequent check-ups with PAP's and will until I reach the 5 yr mark to be considered "cancer free", but the check-ups are a small price to pay. I've learned that cervical cancer is generally very slow growing and the cure rate is very high.

If you haven't been referred to an ONC GYN yet, then I would suggest that you see one for your surgery. They are experts at dealing with this and I beleive do the best job of taking care of things when cancer is involved.

Wishing you the best and sending s
Unread 09-15-2002, 05:18 AM
What a shock!

Hi Sherry!

My need for a hysterectomy came as a big shock to me. I had never had any problems or symptoms and one day, at my well-woman exam, my DR found a mass on my right ovary

Next thing I know, 2 weeks later I'm in OR having TAH/BSO, removing an atypical tumor and lymph nodes along with everything else.

I can relate to the fact that it gives a whole different perspective; above all I just prayed I didn't have to go through chemo, too.

My prayers were answered, and I hope yours are, too!

s,
Unread 09-15-2002, 06:11 AM
I have the same thing!

Sherryb,

I too am about in your same boat. Slightly abnormal pap, culpo, D&C which came back with Adenocarcenoma in situ. I am scheduled for my surgery on the 2nd of october. Don't know yet if I will have a TVH or TAH. See my GYN tomorrow then an oncologist on Wed to get a 4th opinion. I totally feel the way you do between extreme anxiety to denial to I don't want to leave my husband to raise my children, to OK I am tough and can handle anything, and will get through it. You have come to the best place for info that is for sure. I am so glad that I found this site. I learn something new everytime I log on. Read everything you can. Write down questions for your doctor, ask everyone you know who their doctor is and did they have one. Good luck with your biopsy. I am about a week and a half ahead of you and I have found two people her that are a few weeks ahead of me so we need to stay in touch. Look for my post from last Wed or Thurs and you can read about my saga and read the advice I got.

Good luck and stay in touch!

Angelheart
Unread 09-15-2002, 08:22 AM
What a shock!

Hi, I had my "well woman" exam, pap was normal. But they found tumors on my cervix.I had biospy & D&C done, patholgy came back precancerous. I was soooo scared , we scheduled my hyst quickly &I'm now 7 weeks post op. My pathology report was wonderful - no cancer any where! I'll be praying for your's to be as good. Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register