TVH Hospital stay | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH Hospital stay TVH Hospital stay

Unread 09-16-2002, 06:16 AM
TVH Hospital stay

I just found out that although my insurance has approved my TVH on 10/2, they only approve it as an OUTPATIENT....

To all you TVH'ers, how long did you stay? and were you ready to go home at 23 hours?

Kedda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2002, 06:31 AM
TVH Hospital stay

Hi Kedda,

First of all, I want to reassure you that your doctor won't let you go home until he (or she) feels that you are able to. If you need more time, the doctor will talk to your insurance company and get it approved.

I was in for about 30 hours. My surgery was at 6:30 AM and I went home right after lunch the next day. I did not have a private room, and that might have been part of the reason that I was so ready to go. My morphine drip came out first thing in the morning, I walked a little bit, went to the bathroom, had a little bit to eat, and was more than ready to leave by noon. When I got home I went straight to bed, and by the next day was spending most of my time on the couch, dozing.

Be sure to talk to your doctor about what he expects and how he will handle it if you need more time.

's

Karen
Unread 09-16-2002, 06:44 AM
TVH Hospital stay

I would say after an uncomplicated TVH 23 hours is doable. I had a complicated TAH, and I was home in 35 hours and did fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2002, 06:51 AM
TVH Hospital stay

I can't imagine doing this as outpatient procedure. My insurance approved 48 hrs. I had asked my dr. about one night stay and he said no way! By the way I also had a TVH/BSO, uncomplicated. Let your dr. fight the insurance co., there are ways to do it.
Good luck!
Unread 09-16-2002, 08:02 AM
TVH Hospital stay

Hi Kedda,

I was in the Castle for 4 days. I had a TVH, kept the ovaries, bladder and recetal repairs. I went home with a pubic catether and I had a Home Care Nurse.

I would talk to your Doctor about your insurance. Is it possible to get extra insurance?

Take care, Couters
Unread 09-16-2002, 09:07 AM
TVH Hospital stay

Mine was a LAVH, BSO on Monday at 7:30 am, back in my room by 11:00. In the wee hours of Tuesday, the nurses said I could probably go home as soon as the Dr came by on rounds.
When he came by at 8:00 am Tues, he removed the packing, listened to my tummy for bowel sounds. I told him the nurses said I was probably ready to go home and he said I could if I wanted to, but that my uterus was enlarged enough that it was a struggle to remove and I had been through a lot and if I was willing, he would rather I laid around there for another day.
I agreed because I hadn't even walked yet. An hour later, I had showered and walked and looked for something better to eat than what was offered and I was wishing I had said I wanted to go home. But the extra day didn't really hurt anything and I'm glad I stayed. Once you're in the door, the insurance companies are inclined to go along with the Dr's orders.
Unread 09-16-2002, 10:06 AM
TVH Hospital stay

Hi

I had my LAVH last Monday. My surgery was at 10am , I was in my room by 2pm, and I went home at 7pm. It was my choice , as I was approved for one night.

The ride home was a little rough. My hubby drove very slow .

I just felt I would be more comfortable in my own bed or recliner. It turned out I slept in the recliner for 2 nights due to the CO2 gas they blow you up with. That was the worst part, but passed within a few days.

I am also a nurse and felt comfortable with my decision. You might want to stay, but I just wanted to let you know I did it with no problems at all.

These darn insurance companies now days dictate so much of our care. It is really a shame.

good luck to you
Unread 09-16-2002, 12:37 PM
Oupatient TVH

Kedda,
Don't worry about it I was approved for my LAVH as an outpatient also.... 23 hours max. I had a "peepee" problem, so as in the hospital from 7 a.m. Monday until 2p.m. Tuesday, 26 hours after surgery. Honestly, though, if I could've emptied my bladder I was ready to go home at 7 p.m. Monday night. Because there was a complication it was as simple as the doctor telling the insurance company that I could not go home within the guidelines. They can't make you go home if you are still too ill to do so. Don't let the insurance company be a stress factory in your upcoming validation as a Princess. Some insurance companies just consider at TVH an outpatient procedure. It'll all be fine Blessings all the way, Janet LAVH/BSO
Unread 09-16-2002, 01:24 PM
TVH Hospital stay

Hi, Kedda,

I had a TVH/BSO. I was admitted to outpatient surgery, and discharged 24 hours later. Was I ready to be discharged?

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

I couldn't sleep in the hospital, so I walked the halls all night. I was fully dressed and ready to leave at 4 am, after I sweet-talked my nurse into removing my urinary catheter. When my doctor discharged me, at 8 am, I almost shot out the door with my IV (which had been capped) still in place.

I had no problems with urinating, no vaginal bleeding, and no nausea or vomiting. I had a BM in the hospital without difficulty, and except for the mother of all backaches, my only complaint was feeling really, really tired.

I rested much better at home, in the comfort of my own bed.

I hope your surgery goes smoothly, and that you suffer no complications. If so, you, too, may be glad to leave your hospital after 24 hours. Good luck to you.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 09-16-2002, 04:01 PM
TVH Hospital stay

Hi Kedda
I had a TVH at 11 am on friday morning Aug 2 I was released
from the castle on Saturday morning at 9 am. I was more than ready to go home to the comfort of my own bed. I was up walking that night(Friday) iv came out Saturday am. As the sisters said before me let your dr fight the insurance company. Going through surgery is stressful enough with out having to worryabout the other stuff.

Take care and good luck!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register