Cancer Dog? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-17-2002, 05:57 AM
dogs

i have always been a dog lover. I have a two yr old German shepherd named Eli who now weighs 110. He loves being in the house and going everywhere with me. He was content to just lay by my side when I was sick. We have another dog part golden lab that followed me home twice last year and we named him Boomer ( short for boomerang). He and Eli are best friends, keep eachother company when i am gone. My husband and kids love cats and we have 3 strays that we took in. i like the cats, but love the dog. He gives back 110 in the love and companionhip dpt. Dogs are a lot of work, but I find the work joyful. you may want to consider a dog that is past the puppy stage, and house broken. If you have the time and energy the puppy stage is fun and goes by quick.
God Bless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2002, 01:28 PM
Cancer Dog?

Hi Jenny,

I'm so glad that you've found everyone's thoughts encouraging to you. I just wanted to clarify though....just because I don't have the heart to board my dogs at a kennel, doesn't mean that I think it's wrong to do so. There are some very good ones out there. I wouldn't want my thoughts to deter you from getting your dog.

I have friends who board their dogs for vacations and such, and the dogs always come through just fine! In this case, I really think it's me not wanting to board them; I guess I really do count them as part of the family!

s
Unread 09-17-2002, 01:56 PM
Cancer Dog?

Hi Jenny...
MY baby is a Bichon Frishe and she is now 5 years old. She is hypoallergenic and does not shed.. she does however have to go to the groomers every 6 weeks or so.
She is the perfect lap and companion dog and only weighs 15 pounds . she was 3 pounds when i bought her. She is not only my baby but also my protector..look into this breed...they are really cute and loving.
Let me know what you decide.
Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2002, 05:41 PM
Dogs are Great!

I've been nesting big time getting ready for TAH-BSO 9/24 and ended up wiped out this afternoon- LONG nap! My teen son came home from school and told my golden to get up on the bed and lay by Mommy which she did for well over an hour- I was asleep and didn't know it till later but it was nice to know she'd been there. I call Belle my Angel in Fur!
Unread 09-18-2002, 03:18 PM
Cancer Dog?

OH, JENNY

NOW THAT WE ALL HAVE YOU TRULY CONFUSED ABOUT WHAT KIND OF DOG TO GET, HAVE YOU GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS???

I HOPE WHATEVER BREED YOU PICK, IT WILL BE A GREAT HELP TO YOU.

I KNOW IT WILL, DOGS ARE THE BEST ( NO OFFENSE TO CAT LOVERS )
Unread 09-19-2002, 05:13 AM
Cancer Dog?

My dh bought me a mini chihuahua(sp) a few weeks after my surgery. He only weighed 1.9 pounds and now 3 weeks later up to 3.5. The vet says he will get to 5-6 pounds when full grown. He is very attentive, already doing pretty well in the housebreaking dept. I take him to work with me in his little kennel, actually he loves his kennel and prefers to sleep and eat in it....He has taken my mind off surgery, recovery, and that I had endo c....it was a welcome relief to when my little diversion entered our family. His name is Chico.
Unread 09-19-2002, 05:25 AM
Cancer Dog?

Fantastic, Chris5! That is just what I envisioned for myself. I have endo cancer stage II. Chihuahuas are great dogs. I need internal radiation appointments in October, so I will wait for a while. I wouldn't want to leave a new dog by himself while I am in the hospital for days. Lucky you, with your new friend!
JennyW
Unread 09-19-2002, 07:49 AM
Cancer Dog?

Jenny
Dh and I went out for almost 2 weeks looking for our little friend. All the dogs were cute, but just werent what I was looking for....I had almost given up when I saw a new ad in the paper and we made the appt to see the puppies. We were looking for a dog with the coloring and size of the Taco Bell dog. The lady said I have a white/w brown spots and a black and white....I told dh lets go look but it doesn't sound like the dog for me. However, I fell totally in dog love the minute I walked in and took one look at Chico, the white with large brown spots. We almost also bought the sister, but decided two would be too much. He is such an easy dog and it is so easy to take him places. I love bog dogs and get this.....I had originally wanted a German Shepard, but decided I wouldn't be up to the demands of a puppy shepard....I guess you could say I wanted a GS but settled for a chihuahua with a GS personality.
Unread 09-23-2002, 09:28 AM
Cancer Dog?

I bought a Cairn Terrier 2 years ago. Within a few months we had to relocate because of my dh's job. (We rent & already have 2 cats, so thought I had made a mistake getting the dog.)

We've moved twice in the last 2 years. On Jan 1, 2002 my father passed away after a 6-mth illness; in Feb my dd gave birth prematurely to her first child - he's doing beautifully, but it was scarey; the same day, my dh was diagnosed with lung cancer (doing okay after surgery, but lives under that constant cancer threat); another dd lost twins in her 20th week after trying for 7 years (VERY sad & hard for everyone); now, I have to have a tah/bso & have some indication of cancer, but unknown for sure at this time (though, I suspect NO CANCER!).

Not looking for sympathy; we all have our crosses to bear (as proven by the stories just on this site), but, have to say THE DOG WAS THE BEST THING I COULD HAVE DONE!

He has the biggest shoulders; comforts when we are sad, distracts us with his antics, loves unconditionally, & no matter what is our most loyal & good friend. (The cats are wonderful, too, though they offer support *conditionally* LOL).

Anyway, if you are physically able to take care of a pet, I would highly recommend it. We should all be so giving as our little fur faces are.

Many thanks for all who post on this site & God bless you all.

Mongie
tah/bso 9/27/02
Unread 09-23-2002, 04:32 PM
Cancer Dog?

Dear Mongie,
Thank you for sharing your experiences. I know that dog can be your very best pal when times get rough. I am sorry you had to go through so much, but fortunately you seem to be a person of faith and strength.
I guess I must still wait. My radiation won't be finished until late October, it seems, so I won't be able to start a happy search until then.
Again thank you, and I hope you are past the really rocky parts of everything.
JennyW

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register