Cancer Dog? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-04-2002, 05:34 PM
no regrets

H Jenny,

I got a dog after my cancer surgery. I lost the possibilty to have children and felt I really had a lot of love to share........so I got my dog......a red cairn terrier. Best thing ever! To start with I paniced over the responsibilty.....having been free and single!!, but within a couple of weeks I forgot what life was like without him. He's lying at my feet as I type this!!
I did also worry about leaving him sometimes during the day......so I decided to get a small dog door (the size of a large cat flap)and fitted it the kitchen door that goes onto the garden. I had to make sure the garden was obviously securley enclosed to prevent any Hudini acts......and hey bingo we have a good working solution. The dog wanders in and out as he pleases and I don't worry when I'm out!!! Another good thing about the dog door.........you can have long lie in the morning without having to walk the dog if you're feeling a bit under the weather etc!!

I also took out pet insurance and it covers dogs boarding if you are admitted into hospital etc!! However I now have a long list of eager dog-sitters if I need it....but I just feel secure with the insurance anyway incase of other accidents etc!

It really is one of the best things I have done.......we have been inseperable for over 2 years and I can't imagine what life would be like without him.

You could always get a few books to read up on breeds etc to wile away those tedious hours in hospital!!

Good luck with the rest of you treatment
Diane and Red (who looks very like this!!hehehe)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2002, 06:55 PM
What an inspirational post!

Dear Diane,
Your experience warmed my heart today, after a scary day thinking about my disease. I would have never thought of taking some dog books with me to read during the 3-4 days flat on my back in an isolation hospital room for brachytherapy. That is coming up in a couple of weeks, and I have time to go looking for books. I am especially interested in training books since I have never owned a dog before. I am so glad your dog door works for you. You certainly thought everything out.
Again, thank you for the wonderful inspiration.
JennyW
TAH/BSO Aug. 2002
endo cancer stage II
awaiting brachytherapy
Unread 10-08-2002, 01:16 PM
hello

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for your lovley words....I was very touched thankyou.

I just wanted to send you best wishes for your hospital treatment, I hope you've managed to find a few interesting dog books to pass away those tedious hours!!

I was at a dog show on Sunday and was approached by PATDOG. I don't kow if you have that in USA. Its therapy dogs that visit people in hospital.....often elderly, or people who now live in care and had to give up there pets and hopefully your visit with the dogs cheers and lifts the spirits no end!!!

Me and Red are seriously going to consider doing this (he's got to pass an obedience test first...that'll be a laugh)....don't know if the owner need to pass a test too......hehehe! Just thought I'd let you know......thats maybe something you or anyone else reading this might like to do in a while once you feel more "up and at' em" !!!

Take Care and sending warm wishes and hope your treatment goes well.

Diane & Red

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register