Chemo Postponed Need to Rant | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Chemo Postponed  Need to Rant Chemo Postponed Need to Rant

Unread 09-17-2002, 06:18 AM
Chemo Postponed Need to Rant

My 1st Chemo was scheduled for yesterday. I was very anxious. I sat in the waiting room and cried- only the second time I really cried since my diagnosis.

Then the onclolgist cancelled my Chemo. He had a good reason but I wasn't thinking logically yesterday. I had an incision infection at the castle so had 2 days IV antibiotic treatment and then after discharge 10 days of the worst tasting antibiotics. I pack the lower 2 inches of my incision and the rest of the incision is just red around where the staples were removed. I have no incision pain, or temp. The onclolgist said my incision needs to heal better before Chemo lowers my WBC.

So I called my gyne-oncol yesterday to see if he had any ideas to get this healed. I couldn't talk to him, had to relay all this to a nurse. She said she would talk to the doc and get back to me. She didn't get back to me so I will call her again today. My gyne-onclo is 90 miles away so going to see him is a problem as I can't drive yet.

I will also call my gyne here at home. She is very supportive. She may also have some ideas. My mission today to heal my incision.

I have to start Chemo. I envision little cancer cells just growing in my new surgical tummy because the Chemo wasn't started. I know this isn't realistic but I don't feel too realistic today.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Ruth S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2002, 06:55 AM

s Ruth

You must be so disappointed. Once a treatment plan is made, we just want to get on with it and be done.
But your doc is so right. You need those WBC's to heal.
Your stage is so early, that your chemo is most likely prophylactic. Try to get that cancer cell growing vision out of your head.
My incision was a bit slow healing by my belly botton. Not infected, just lagged behind. Chemo was started three weeks post op. I now have an incisional hernia in the area where the incision was slow to heal. When I saw my gyn onc surgeon last month, and she saw the hernia, she felt it came about because of the slow healing and chemo start. I had no choice. I was a later stage and needed to get going.
But I truly think you can relax a bit and get that incision healed. Your trouble spot sounds pretty large and I am sure you don't want a huge hernia in a few months.
If the docs felt you were in any danger, they would start the chemo.
Hang in there Ruth.

karenann
Unread 09-17-2002, 07:12 AM
Delays have happened to me, too.

The first job is to get that incision healed right now so that lowering white cells don't cause a really major problem and you'd wind up in serious shape. Still, I agree--it is devastating when you're all ready and it gets postponed. You get this mindset, ready, here it comes, and... Crash. And what a crash. At that time, hard as it is, we have to admit the oncologist knows best and do the waiting game. First time it happened to me was the first round in 2001 due to low platelets--and I was just furious. This time, it was for round 2 of carboplatin--I wasn't too upset the first time as I knew the doctor was pushing it for three weeks. But when I still had a white cell count of 2.3 and neutrophils of 1200 and it was going again...I lost it. Just cried and cried and cried and said to stop, I'd had enough. He was able to do a reduced dose and later that day I learned CA125 had dropped from 161 six weeks before the chemo to 35.4. It is SO frustrating but delays are not uncommon and in your case, disappointing as it is, the safest thing to do. It WILL happen and when it does, just picture those cancer cells, sitting there playing poker, having a great time, and...wham! Big
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2002, 07:24 AM

Thanks to both of you. You are a great help. I just get myself so anxious if things don't go by my plan. God Bless you both for being near.
Thanks Ruth
Unread 09-17-2002, 01:50 PM

Hi Ruth... Boy do i know how you feel.... I just finished 6 out of 6 chemo treatments of taxol and carboplatim. MY very last treatment was postponed because, my oncologist was not there that day, and the nurses said that my white count was a little low. well, to make a very long story short, my oncologist called the next day to apologize for not being there for me and giving me the treatment.. my count was not that low and she would have approved the treatment. Sooo,, i did get the treatment the following week, at my convenience, and am now finished.. It is a great feeling when it it finally over and i did not even mind being sick this time knowing that it was the end....
Keep your spirits up....It will be over before you know it.. Keep in touch.
Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register