Severe pain in inguinal area?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe pain in inguinal area?? Severe pain in inguinal area??

Unread 09-17-2002, 04:08 PM
Severe pain in inguinal area??

I am almost four weeks post op and having a severe pain in this inguinal area (area below abdomin and above left thigh). I have seen the doctor and she does not know what this could be. I am going in for a CT Scan and hopefully will find out more. However, wanted to see if anyone out there has experienced this before. It is so severe that at times I can not walk or sit or stand. The pain wakes me at night and even on my pain medication, I am still hurting. I have read information on inguinal hernias and am affraid this is what it is. Anyone have any information? I would greatly appreciate it. I am new to this site - and love it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2002, 04:16 PM

Hello there!

Welcome to Hystersisters!

We're so glad you are here!

I don't have experience in what you describe, but I did want to come by and welcome you, and let you know I hope everything turns out to be okay for you!

It seems to me I have read posts in the past about something similar to this, and, you're right: it could be a hernia or it could be a nerve issue, too.

Hopefully someone will come along who can share first-hand experience with this.

Please let us know how things progress for you, and what you find out. I hope you feel better very very soon!

s,
Unread 09-17-2002, 04:20 PM
Severe Pain

I had the same situation with pain in the same area. It was the third week post op. I went to the doctor, and he said, that it was the large muscles and nerves healing. He gave me a muscle relaxer which was also a pain medication. I also used a heating pad, 4 times a day.

The only way I was comfortable was to be in bed. This pain lasted one week, and I am much better now.

Hope this is helpful, and good luck.

:HUG:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2002, 07:28 PM

There is another type of hernia called a femoral hernia. It occurs most often in women over 40. Inguinal hernias are more common in men, though women can have them too. My doctor thought I had a femoral hernia prior to my surgery but it turned out to be a lipoma instead (fatty tumor.) The symptoms I had were very similar to what you describe, but only became unbearable with moderate activity (particularly walking on the beach.) Hernias are pretty simple to fix so not to worry, if that's what it turns out to be.

While I was awaiting surgery, a massage therapist, specially trained in visceral manipulation, was able to help with the pain. Osteopathic doctors are trained in visceral manipulation too (but not all practice it). Depending on how long the work up is going to take, and what your budget is like, you might look into this for some pain relief. It helped me 10 times more than the pain pills.

Sending healing thoughts your way,
Jane
Unread 09-17-2002, 07:30 PM

Hi,
I had this pain too, and it turned out to be an inguinal hernia. I had no clue what so ever. No bulging or swelling. DR actually found it during my 1st surgery in May.
It could be a nerve too. I think it's best to seek professional advice. Good luck!
Unread 09-18-2002, 01:42 PM

I've had a similar sounding pain since week 1 (I'm now at week 5) and am going to see my gyn/surgeon about it tomorrow. I think mine is nerve related, as I now have minor numbness in my left leg. I can walk fine, but walking seems to aggravate the pain. I will check in and share what I'm told.

What seems to help me is aspirin. I've been using ibuprofen (off the prescriptions since week 1) and that made little difference. But I tried aspirin today, and the pain is lessened.

Like I said, I will report in tomorrow evening (but of course, I'm having computer probs, so that may delay things)
Unread 09-20-2002, 08:50 AM

Well, it is next day!

The pain is finally getting better, although it is helped, I'm pretty sure, because I switched to aspirin (from Ibuprofen) - I think the aspirin is doing a much better job of helping with this kind of pain.

The doctor seemed to accept that it could be nerve pain - he said it was an expected event due to having to create the vaginal cuff (to 'replace' my cervix) and to build the new support structure for the vagina. It said it should fade with time.

He checked me very thoroughly and he has a reputation as a great surgeon (and boy is my incision beautiful - considering I had to have one - it is very straight and thin and even).

So glad I went to the doctor about it, though. So, having some nerve pain at 5+ weeks is not surprising.
Unread 09-20-2002, 09:27 AM
Thank you

Thanks for the information. I am going in for a CT Scan today, but I think that my problem is probably nerve related, as well. I sure do hope so. I will try the asprin thing. I appreciate your response. This website is fabulous!!! Thanks, again. Good luck with your recovery.
Unread 09-21-2002, 11:11 AM
CT Scan results

Well... I had my CT Scan yesterday and they told me that I had either a cyst or an abcess (spelling?)... but could only tell me that unofficially, as I will have to get a more official report from my doctor on Monday. I am feeling really bad and the pain seems to be getting worse. I am a little scared, because I don't know what that means to have a cyst or an abcess there... it is below my abdomen and above my left leg... kind of in the crease of my left leg. I am just scared. Anyone hear anything like that before? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Waiting until Monday is driving me crazy. Thanks, as always!!
Unread 09-21-2002, 09:05 PM

From WebMD, here's a definition of a cyst:
a closed epithelium-lined sac or capsule containing a liquid or semisolid substance. Most cysts are harmless. Nevertheless they should be removed when possible because they occasionally may change into malignant growths, become infected, or obstruct a gland. There are four main types of cysts: retention cysts, exudation cysts, embryonic cysts, and parasitic cysts.

Check out this mini-article on lumps under the skin. It talks about cysts and abcesses.
http://my.webmd.com/encyclopedia/article/3609.4837

An abcess can usually be treated with antibiotics +/- drainage. It's basically an infected area that the immune system walls off, so it can't spread to the rest of the body. The pain you are having could be from the abcess or cyst pressing on a nerve or other tissues. You are on the right track by getting the CT. You might want to call the doctor's office first thing on Monday morning to make sure they have the CT report. Your doctor will need that to make a treatment decision.

I'm so sorry that you've had this post-op complication. I hope you feel better soon. If you feel worse or have a fever, don't hesitate to call your doctor or go to the ER. Keep us posted on how things turned out.

Sending you healing thoughts and prayers,
Jane

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register