anyone with endo ca stage 1 taking hrt? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone with endo ca stage 1 taking hrt? anyone with endo ca stage 1 taking hrt?

Unread 09-19-2002, 03:13 PM
anyone with endo ca stage 1 taking hrt?

I am getting conflicting reports from my docs. I am 43 yo and TAH/BSO 10 wks ago. I am not taking hormones now, doing the black cohosh etc but am having trouble sleeping and with flashes. (As is probably everyone is!). My gyn/onc said hrt is OK and rx'd meds, but when I saw the other gyn/onc he was strongly against hrt. Was wondering what you have heard and what you're doing and how it's going? thanks, Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2002, 03:15 AM

Judy. I went with what my Gyn. said after my surgery and took the estrogen, not knowing how controversial this was. I took it for 2 1/2 years. I started hearing and reading things and got scared so I went off. It is not a bed of roses, but I feel much better mentaly.I'm trying now to get back to exersizing and dieting and drinking lots of water. I did these things initally and didn't have the problems I'm having now.; lots of flashes, depression, weight gain, etc.; I just have to get my mind set. Summer is always hard for me with the heat. Good Luck, Candy
Unread 09-20-2002, 06:42 AM

Judy,
I'm 54 and started menopause at age 48. Since it was natural menopause the symptoms were over a couple years, not immediately as with surgery. However, I've always known I was high risk so I've never taken HRT. I also avoided all the "natural" estrogens (soy, etc) as they have the same effect on our bodies as HRT.

Any doctor I went to agreed it was better not to take HRT for me and that was before all the recent studies. But... the Gyn/Onc didn't see any reason why I shouldn't take it now. There is no reproductive organs to be effected, but those high risk breasts are still around (my mom had breast cancer). So, I tell him no.

I already went through all the symptoms, so why worry about it now. Good Luck - it's really a hard decision. My Endocrinologist, a very blunt speaker, actually said he didn't envy me my decision because I could have problems either way. I'm a big believer that you never know when you're lucky; life is not a controlled experiment. So I go blindly happily through life believing I've been really lucky.
s,
Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2002, 07:05 AM
My MD says it is okay

I have ovarian cancer and my doctor has me on HRT (estradiol tablets and the Estring vaginal suppository). He explained to me that it was okay to have the HRT in my case. I am also on the clonidine patch which works well for the hot flashes. If your MD is not comfortable giving you HRT, you might want to ask him about the clonidine patch -- it is normally given for high blood pressure, but for some reason, it really does help with the hot flashes.

Love,

Cyndy
Unread 09-20-2002, 10:36 AM

Judy,
I'm 9 weeks post-op from a TAH/BSO due to endometrial cancer. I'm 29 years old & am on a climara .05mg patch every week. I'm also very confused about taking the estrogen & am struggling with what the right thing to do is. I'd rather not take it but my oncologist feels strongly that it's the right thing for me. I guess everyone is different. The patch definately stops the symptoms, but I do notice that by day 5 or 6 the hot flashes begin to appear!! What's right, what's wrong, I wish somebody had the answer!! Good luck with your decision making process & keep me posted if you learn anything new that could be helpful. 's Paula
Unread 09-22-2002, 08:41 AM

I am 11 days post-op (9/11/02 surgery date) from TAH, BSO endometrial cancer and ovarian cyst/tumor. My oncologist surgeon prescribed Estrace for me on the day I was discharged from the hospital, at my request for hormone therapy. I have not experienced hot flashes, insomnia, etc. nor do I wish to. My mother suffered terribly through menopause and I (right or wrong) expected to go through the same problems without some hormone help. I have friends on hormone therapy, and we know the risks and have talked about them, but I feel it's beneficial to me to take the little pill every day and worth the risk. I've learned that life itself has risks each day - I can't live in continual fear of making a bad choice. Taking the Estrace works for me right now, and I feel good. It also helps to remember that no matter what, God has a plan. Romans 8:28. Live boldly--

Shanna
Unread 09-22-2002, 03:36 PM

JUDY,
AFTER MY HYST FOR ENDO CANCER I WAS TOLD I COULD TAKE HRT. I CHOSE NOT TO. I STILL GET HOT FLASHES AND NIGHT SWEATS BUT I HAVE READ THAT THESE WILL SUBSIDE IN ABOUT A YEAR. I HAD MY HYST NOV. 2001.
I TAKE PLENTY OF VITAMINS AND TRY TO KEEP COOL.

IF YOU PREFER NOT TO TAKE ANY HRT, THAN YOU'LL HAVE TO HANG IN THERE. THE HOT FLASHES AND SWEATS WILL SUBSIDE.
I HAVE THEM LESS AND LESS NOW.
Unread 09-22-2002, 09:06 PM
HRT after Endo Cancer diagnosis

I also had Uterine Cancer Stage 1b. My doctor's primary concern about HRT was because I was also diagnosed with Stage Ic Ovarian Cancer. After second and third opinions on the pathology (at my doctor's request), I was told I did not require chemo because it was borderline. I was then given HRT prescription for Premarin 0.625 by my Gyn Onc. I attended a conference this weekend in Washington DC sponsored by the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance. There were many questions about HRT. From what I got out of these sessions, it is a mixed response on a doctor-by-doctor basis. Some doctors think it is ok to give HRT after a cancer diagnosis and some don't recommend it. I was surprised by the number of women whose doctors prescribed HRT after their treatment and remission of ovarian cancer. Some were worried about the possibility of getting breast cancer because of the estrogen. It was also stated that since we do not have a uterus (after hysterectomy) we don't need the combination of progesterone and estrogen. The docs also said that it is our choice to decide what we feel is best for us. No one should be pushed into taking HRT. One doc also brought up the NPR show about how women were encouraged to take HRT to be more "desirable" to their husbands. This was in the 70's and maybe 80's.
Unread 09-24-2002, 11:17 PM
to ERT or not to ERT? That is the question!

Hello, princesses! I am a LIW until Fri.9/27 with endo adenocarcinoma (G1) who officially knows nothing about the risks of ERT after surgery for cancer, but here is my gyno/onco's opinion:

Although he says there is no hard evidence that estrogen replacement causes higher rates of cancer, he won't give it to me directly because it is counter to decades of common practice/wisdom. There is a study about to happen in my area (Los Angeles) that he would love to sign me up for. You have to have endo cancer, a hysty, then they give you either ERT or a placebo and compare statistics between the groups who did/did not take ERT.

I was all for it until I talked to a friend of mine in her 60s. She began menopause, took ERT for years, then stopped 5 years ago. She STILL has hot flashes! EEK! I don't know if I want to start something that will be that difficult if I decide to stop it. It may be rough, but I'm thinking I should tough it out for a year or whatever it takes, and be done with it.

Don't forget--there are non-estrogen meds your doctor can give you for hot flashes and mood swings. Bellergal is a popular one for hotness, and you probably know the ones for moodiness: Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac, etc.

Also, I've been surfing the no-hormone jungle posts on this site for other alternatives. Good luck to all of us!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register