My question is this | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My question is this My question is this

Unread 09-20-2002, 05:07 PM
My question is this

the lab reports from the cone biopsy showed that it's not up in the uterus. So they feel i am a 1A in stage. Is it possible to be sicker than that or is that what this surgery will tell for sure. That is the one thing I want a definitive answer to is how bad is this? Something else I read that was odd, some readings I have read classify cervical cancer as a std?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2002, 05:23 PM
My question is this

Cindy,
I'm sending you a because I know what you're feeling! I did not have cervical cancer, I had endometrial cancer that was also in stage 1. I shared your feeling of wondering if this was going to still be the diagnosis after my surgery. Good news, it was. It's hard to believe it when you're the one going through it. Nobody, except those of us who have been there, can understand that. I woke up from my surgery asking if it was still what they had thought at first. Just have faith & try not to worry (yeah right!! lol). Everything will be ok. Take care & good luck. I'll be praying for you! Paula
Unread 09-21-2002, 04:24 AM
My question is this

Hi Cindy,

This is certainly a scary time for you. Those of us who have been diagnosed with cancer would agree that we understand your feelings as we all felt them too. I know that you want answers as to "how bad this is", but I don't think you will get them until after you've had your hyst and the pathology reports are all in. I know that I felt exactly as you do now. For me, waiting for the surgery wasn't the hard part...it was waiting for the path reports! Fortunately, things were as my ONC GYN thought they would be; pathology showed the cancer to be removed and it hadn't spread to other areas.

As for your questions about cervical cancer and STD's....a very high percentage of cervical cancers are caused by HPV (human papilloma virus) which is sexually transmitted. HPV sometimes shows symptoms in the form of vaginal warts, or it can lay dormant with no symptoms. You can do a search using the purple Search button at the top of the page, and use HPV as your keyword and it will bring lots of threads where this has been discussed. I hope it helps you a little.

Best wishes and s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2002, 07:39 AM
My question is this

Cervical cancer is frequently caused by HPV.
I was diagnosed with stage 1A cervical cancer 10 months ago. If you have had a cone done it is usually pretty accurate. (not 100%) It sounds like the cancer is very early. With Stage 1A a hysterectomy is all that is needed. Some women choose just to have a cone biopsy as treatment and that is curative.
Unread 09-21-2002, 11:22 AM
My question is this

I asked the dr. about that and he said a cone biopsy at this point would be pointless if you would. He said the options are 1) radical hysterectomy and all that fun 2)radiation therapy which could permanently damage my insides for years to come or 3) do nothing and be dead within 3 years.
Unread 09-21-2002, 01:59 PM
My question is this

I love those straight forward docs!! It sounds like it's really early which puts you in the "lucky" group . Who thought you'd be lucky with cancer, but you are. We all agree that the surgery is easy compared to the waiting. Remember, we're all here for you while you're waiting for you path report. Everytime you're scared and climbing the walls, post - we'll share the fear which will help diminish it for you.

This is a great site. As I tell all new sisters, women are stronger than cancer *punch* and in groups we are an awesome power. Keep posting, let us help fight with you. One thing I've noticed on this site, when we want to know definitively where we stand with the cancer, it's not to cower in fear, but to rein in our forces for a good fight - we are powerful and awesome.
s,
Laura
Unread 09-21-2002, 02:12 PM
My question is this

The ladies are right--if you're a stage Ia, then from a cancer perspective, you're pretty lucky. It seems that many docs treat the different stages of cancer different ways, and some women do choose to have a second opinion by another gyn/onc (if one is available in your area). However, they won't truly be able to stage you accurately until they've done the TAH. Once the pathology comes back on the lymph nodes and the surrounding tissues, then they will know exactly what you're dealing with, and how that should be treated.

Current information does point the finger at HPV being the cause of cervical cancer in 99% of cases. I found a couple of my favorite threads on this subject and have posted the links here, so all you have to do is click below and read:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...&highlight=HPV

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...&highlight=HPV

Please keep posting as you have more questions. We are happy to be here to support you in this difficult time!

Unread 09-21-2002, 06:14 PM
My question is this

Is your doctor a gyn/oncologist? I did not have one and I wish that I had.
I do know people with stage 1A cancer who have had just a cone to preserve fertility and are fine. I chose the hyster. It was the full proof way to know exactly how bad the disease was. You never fully can be sure with just a cone.

In any case, it sounds like things are still really early and cervical cancer is very curable when you catch it early.
Unread 09-26-2002, 09:44 AM
Hi darlin.

I understand all your questions. I had a pap and it came back precancerous. Then I went in for 2 biopsies. one on the cervix and on in the uterus. The doc's still didn't know what it was. A week after my Doc said we needed a leep procedure and then send it the pathologists. it came back precancerous Adno-Carcinomas.
It's best to get as many tests as you can to determine what you have. I wanted to know what the mystery was and I sure found out. if I left it untreated I would have cancer in a few months. I am so glad I tested and retested so I could finally get my hyster to save my life, before it was completely threatened. No cemo needed at this point. I just hope it doesn't come back. the doc said it was 100% gone but the thing is with me it was a rare disease that usually is found in the liver, colon or lungs. How it got were it did only god knows.

so please get the tests you need to determine what you have and how bad or good it is.
and support from Sister Betsyb
Unread 09-26-2002, 10:21 AM
My question is this

i just had my tah/bso for cervical cancer. stage 1A. i changed to a gyn/onc and glad I did. she opened me up and did some exploratory surgery to make sure it hadn't spread anywhere near where she was operating. I basically signed concent for her to remove whatever she needed to to get this over fast. She sent my uterus, ovaries and tubes off for biopsy. i go in for my path results tomorrow. she said after surgery that she was sure everything looked fine, but I too had several biopsies then the leep and each one got worse results. But no news is good news. at least she didn't call me into the office early! So, hopefully i won't need chemo or radiation and this will be the end of it. she told me that the main causes of cervical cancer was HPV, having sex before age 19 and smoking. Well, she also said 60% of all men have HPV and 80% of all women have HPV. She didn't specifically tell me that I had it, but I was married with a baby by age 19! And I smoked. It's amazing what you learn after it's too late.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register