5 weeks and bladder spasms wont go | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 weeks and bladder spasms wont go 5 weeks and bladder spasms wont go

Unread 09-22-2002, 09:17 PM
5 weeks and bladder spasms wont go

Hi Ladies

Anyone still having bladder spasms at 5 weeks. They started at about 10 days postop and haven't let up since. Definitely hindering my recovery I can tell you. No UTI or anything untoward....just these spasms. Everything else is coming along famously and I'd be feeling great if I just didn't have to pee.

Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2002, 12:06 AM

Hi Lynne,

(noticed the spelling of your name as mine's a bit different too!)

I'm wondering if Kegel exercises would help --- have you called your doc? Does s/he know what you're dealing with?

s
Unread 09-23-2002, 05:12 AM

i have no problem peeing: until i get about 3/4 of the way done and my bladder spasms....it is painful, then i cant pee anymore...or until later on, then the same happens.

i am beginning my 5th week post. i go see the dr next week, so i plan to tell her and see whats up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2002, 06:16 AM

Ah! tell me, how does such simple things become the main focus of our lives. I can look back and laugh about it now but it sure was no laughting matter when I felt like a two year old undergoing potty training............. This to will pass.

I remember all to well the famous spasms. I tried voiding in different positions, ex. while seated, I would spread my legs wide apart or lean more towards the back of the toilet seat etc.. The best position for me was actualy standing. So, I would void while standing in the shower with the warm water running. l also at that point had to take medication to reduce the spasms. It was the combination of the meds and standing of course that did the trick for me. I found that standing took away any pressure that you might get from sitting down and the warm water helped relax all the muscles so I would have more of a chance of totaly empting my bladder in that position. Having "Mrs. Bladder" emptied made her happy of course and in turn she was not so hard on me . Humor is also good medecine.

Please speak with your doctor about your spasms and see if at this point he would recommend some meds for you. I hope this will soon come to pass. Take care,
Unread 09-23-2002, 09:11 AM
i am glad i am not the only one

i had the same problem my dr gave me ditropan (spelling?) to control the spasms i am still taking it 9 weeks post op
Unread 09-23-2002, 02:28 PM

Hi, While at my 5 1/2 week post -op check up this morning, I described that not being able to finish peeing without pain thing . He said that was bladder spasms and not to drink alot of orange juice, grapefruit juice sour things, or soda's. As they tend to irritate the bladder. Hope this helps some. I have been drinking more orange juice than usual. I will be cutting down. Rox
Unread 09-23-2002, 07:27 PM

Hi Ladies

Thank you all so much for your replies and helpful advice. I've already tried the different toilet positions (isn't it amazing what you can do sitting on a toilet seat) It could almost be called an upper body workout. Peeing in the shower is good but you can't do that all day can you....just not very practical I found. I'm a bit cautious about the Kegels just yet...will mention it on my DR visit next week (6 week checkup).

KatieNor - I could have written your post word for word. It exactly sums up my problems.

Unfortunately I cannot take any medications at all (does awful things to my highly sensitive stomach) so that kind of stuffs up taking the anti-spasmodics meds unfortunately. I'm being very careful what I eat and drink re bladder irritants.

I'm also having rectal spasms with a bm as well. Aint life grand.

Once again thank you one and all for your help. Makes me feel so much better. Take care everyone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register