Scheduled SAH Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy 7/21: How long is the hospital stay? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy 7/21: How long is the hospital stay? Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy 7/21: How long is the hospital stay?

Unread 07-11-2017, 12:23 PM
Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy 7/21: How long is the hospital stay?

Good afternoon all,
I have my pre-op appointment with my doctor so I know she's going to answer this next week, but I was curious to know how ling is the hospital stay? I'm having a partial abdominal hysterectomy and the nurse in the drs office said it's usually 2 days and the insurance forms that came said they are approving 1 night...so I wasn't sure if that sounded right? I know for both my C-sections I was in the hospital for 2 nights - but this is different....so just figured I would ask.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2017, 12:40 PM
Re: How long is the hospital stay?

It depends partly on your particular doctor and hospital. I had a TAH and was told I'd be in 3-4 nights, ended up staying three. However, I know someone else who had a TAH and stayed only one night!

You might want to let your doc's office know that the insurance company only approved one night, as they're the ones who'll need to justify it to the insurance company if you stay a second night.
Unread 07-11-2017, 01:46 PM

I had tah and stayed in one night. The dr said if I wanted to stay a second night I should let her know, but I was dying to get out of there and stuck to the one night. I was mire than ready to be home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2017, 05:02 PM

If you are in the U.S and you insurance said one night, you will more than likely be outpatient (like many of us), meaning in hospital for 23 hours from when you get in recovery room, so in most cases, over 2 days/1 night
Unread 07-11-2017, 05:48 PM

Hi and welcome,

Until you speak to your doctor next week, here is an article with some guidelines:How Long Will My Hospital Stay Be?

And... Hospital Stay- How Long After Hysterectomy?

Hugs and best of luck.
Unread 07-11-2017, 07:47 PM

Hi Cpodesta -

I had a TAH BSO. My doctor said the typical stay in the USA for that type of surgery is 3 to 5 days. I stayed in the hospital 3 1/2 days. The insurance company originally had me down for 2, but the doctor office said to not worry as the insurance company was just putting a number on a form. If the doctor said I needed to stay longer than they would let me. That is how that worked out.

Unread 07-11-2017, 08:27 PM

Thank you so much everyone for your replies!! What an amazing supportive and responsive group:-) I know each journey is different and I will talk to my doctor next week. My husband will be going to work the day after my surgery so I'm trying to prepare for the worst case scenario so I have all the help I need.
You ladies are great - thank you again
Unread 07-12-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpodesta View Post
Thank you so much everyone for your replies!! What an amazing supportive and responsive group:-) I know each journey is different and I will talk to my doctor next week. My husband will be going to work the day after my surgery so I'm trying to prepare for the worst case scenario so I have all the help I need.
You ladies are great - thank you again
Tell your doc that you need to know in advance whether or not you're likely to be released the first day after surgery, as your husband won't be available to drive you home that day and you need to know if you need to arrange for someone else to do so. Without actually lying, make it sound as if arranging for an alternate driver is really arduous and you don't want to do it unless you absolutely have to. This might elicit more specific information on the length of your hospital stay. ;-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register