Severe Menstrual Pain and Ovarian Cysts No Endo. Alternatives to Hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe Menstrual Pain and Ovarian Cysts No Endo. Alternatives to Hysterectomy? Severe Menstrual Pain and Ovarian Cysts No Endo. Alternatives to Hysterectomy?

Unread 07-19-2017, 10:29 AM
Severe Menstrual Pain and Ovarian Cysts No Endo. Alternatives to Hysterectomy?

Hello everyone!

I was curious if someone out there has had a similar situation to me and what treatment they had (whether it was something other than a hysterectomy or if they had a hysterectomy).

I have been having excruciatingly painful periods for 13 years. I also have had multiple ruptured ovarian cysts mainly on my left ovary. My pain is so intense that I cannot sit or stand or I will pass out.

I have been to 8 doctors over the years (4 were ob/gyn's), and no one knows exactly why I am in so much pain. I have had so many pelvic exams I have lost count, blood tests, ultrasounds, and an exploratory laparoscopy. Pelvic exams and Paps were always normal, with the exception of sometimes feeling another ovarian cyst. Blood tests for anemia and TSH panels (both regular and sensitive), all coming back normal. Ultrasounds only showed the ovarian cysts, and my doc found nothing during my laparoscopy. She had suspected endometriosis, but found none. She also mentioned that my left ovary (the problem one) actually looked better than my right ovary.

I have tried birth control pills and every pain pill type available. I have a problem with my liver in that it doesn't metabolize medications properly. I had been diagnosed with a benign liver condition called Gilbert's Syndrome, but it isn't supposed to give me actual symptoms other than a high bilirubin count. (Or so I am told by my doctors). I had a liver ultrasound and multiple blood tests for my liver which all came back normal besides an elevated bilirubin count.

When I take most medications, I have overdose symptoms or bad reactions to them. I have tried Tylenol, ibuprofen, aspirin, and Tramadol, all of which make me deathly ill, make my pain worse, give me horrific headaches, dizziness, nausea, and vomiting. The birth control pills made me vomit for almost an hour and then triggered another period (after I only took one pill and couldn't take any more). I had such a heavy flow that I was bedridden for a week.

I have discussed with doctors the possibility of having a partial hysterectomy, but they won't consider it an option at all because of my age (I am 28) and I am still a virgin. The insist that I will change my mind about having children. I have other health issues coupled with genetic reasons which I have already decided years ago I wasn't going to have children. I can't get any doctor to listen to my wishes. I am open for other treatment options, even if it has a chance of rendering me infertile, so I came here looking to see if someone else had anything remotely similar and what they chose to do. I wanted to talk to another doctor again about other options because so far my old doctors have not been very forthright with offering me any alternatives to things I have already tried.

I am so frustrated ladies because this pain has made me schedule my whole life around my period. I have missed school, weddings, birthdays, dates, and even had to cancel a vacation over it (my period is irregular so it makes it very difficult to plan anything). I also have not been able to get a job because no one will hire somebody that can't work part of a week during the month and someone who isn't even sure when those days will be! I help out my father in his business when I can, but I feel like my entire life is on hold until I get this straightened out. Also, I'm so frustrated because rather than be sympathetic, most of my doctors have been anything but. I have been told everything from "your only option is to do birth control" (which I can't tolerate, likely because of my liver is not able to process the extra hormones), "just deal with it" (because apparently pain so bad that makes me pass out is something I can totally deal with without help or pain medication), or my personal all time favorite "just go out and have sex and you will be fine" (Wow ladies! I had no clue that sex cured extreme period pain, and ovarian cysts! Apparently I have been totally missing out!).

If any of you ladies has had anything at all similar to my experiences, I would love to hear what treatment options you chose! It would just be nice to know that maybe there is hope out there somewhere, and that I am not alone in my suffering. It certainly feels that way after all these years, especially when doctors act like they don't even care!

Love to you all, and thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2017, 12:21 PM
Re: Severe Menstrual Pain and Ovarian Cysts No Endo. Alternatives to Hysterectomy?

For cysts, you could look into nutrition:

It has been suggested that some foods may contribute to the development of ovarian cysts, such as foods high in estrogen or carbohydrates. Eliminating caffeine and alcohol, reducing sugars, and increasing foods rich in vitamin A and carotenoids (such as carrots and salad greens) and B vitamins (such as from whole grains) may help reduce pain associated with ovarian cysts.

Essential fatty acids found in fatty fish, such as salmon and trout, may help promote hormonal balance. Omega-3 essential fatty acids, such as flaxseed oil or evening primrose oil, may be of benefit. Including a dietary source of iodine, such as seaweed, for thyroid support may be beneficial in some patients. A high-quality multivitamin and mineral supplement is also recommended for overall health.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register