IS MY DR NUTS? or is it me? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

IS MY DR NUTS? or is it me? IS MY DR NUTS? or is it me?

Unread 09-24-2002, 12:00 PM
IS MY DR NUTS? or is it me?

Went to the DR today for my 4 week post op check up. He said everything looked fine. I asked him when I could go back to work and he says "Now, your on no restrictions". My mouth just dropped open and I didn't know what to say. Now he knows what I do. I drill bowling balls, 16 lb bowling balls. This means I have to pick them up, carry them around, and use a drill press. He also said I could resume bowling. Is he nuts? I know there is no way I can throw a heavy bowling ball right now. The man must not have ever bowled in his life. Or if he did, it was with an 8 lb ball.
So ladies I'm looking to you for advice. I don't have to rush back to work because thankfully I work for my parents, and they are very understanding. But would any of you resume bowling or anything like that at 4 weeks post? Em I being a wimp?
Think this would be a good time for me to call my family doctor and make an appointment to discuss everything with him.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2002, 12:08 PM

Hi Gossett of course you're not a wimp! I think it's wise of you to decide to be more conservative than your DR about tossing 16 lb bowling balls about at only 4 weeks post op.

You're right, you're lucky you work for your family and they're understanding about this. Is there anything you can do for them that doesn't involve heavy lifting, just to help out part time? Paperwork maybe, at least for a little while? I definitely wouldn't be drilling bowling balls yet.

I also think calling your family DR at this point is an excellent idea.

You have our 'permission' to take it easy for at least a couple of more weeks...
s,
-Linda
Unread 09-24-2002, 12:12 PM

Thanks Linda, I didnt think I was the crazy one here. Actually, my mom doesn't want me to do anything, lol, so I guess I can be a good princess a few weeks longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2002, 12:21 PM

Hi Gossett,

Sometimes you have to wonder about what doctors are thinking!

I agree with Linda --- call your family doc!

s
Unread 09-24-2002, 04:26 PM
Bowling

I also have the go-ahead to bowl at 4 weeks post-op and can hardly wait! I'm healing fast and only throw a 12 pound ball. My teammates want me to take it easy, so if I'm uncomfortable at all, I can just stop for the night and bowl blind. I'd rather bowl than try to have sex right now, though I'm certainly "in the mood" already. It's sort of scarey, you know?
Keep on healing and TAKE YOUR TIME!
This site is a Godsend.
Unread 09-24-2002, 05:09 PM
Today was my 4 week checkup too

My Dr and I had the same discussion today, although bowling didn't come up. He said everything was healing up nicely, but he could still see the stitches (not dissolved yet). I am feeling exceptionally good. I can feel it when I've walked too far or done too much, but if I rest it goes away. I've been very careful about lifting, pushing, pulling, etc.

He said "No restrictions" as of today and I asked specifically about lifting because of all the warnings on this site that really made sense to me. I know I couldn't go bowling right now if I wanted to. I just pushed the grocery cart today for the first time and it wasn't very full. Had to take a nap afterward.

Anyway, when I asked him about lifting, he took the time to draw me a picture of what all was cut and stapled inside and how, ultimately, what would hold me all together was the scar tissue that built up around those attachments. His words. Lifting can pull that tissue and it can take awhile for it to get strong enough. He said to try 10# and if that didn't hurt or tug, try 20#. Keep trying each increased weight carefully and stop if I felt it pulling or tugging in a way that might suggest tearing. He assured me that if I tried to "lift and jerk" weight I wasn't used to at this point, I would feel it and probably start spotting too.

I thought the whole conversation made sense. Drs all seem to give us different instructions. I know I don't have any trouble with <10# because my arm bears most of the weight. After our conversation I went to the grocery store. By the time I put the bags in the car and then in the kitchen I was whupped. But I laid down for an hour and felt fine when I got up. I think we have to venture forth very carefully and think more about what we do than we might be used to. I bled so bad prior to my surgery that I was used to thinking twice before picking up something that was going to make it worse.
Hope this helps. I feel so great today - this was the best thing I could have done for myself. I'm one of the lucky ones with no complications.
Unread 09-25-2002, 05:09 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I will still take it easy for another couple of weeks. I was wiped out today just from being gone from the house for 4 hours, and I didn't really do anything. Yeah, I would love to start bowling again, had my first 300 last Nov., but it just doesn't seem worth it at this point. Maybe its cause I'm just so darned tired.

Thanks again.
Unread 09-26-2002, 10:19 AM
is my doctor nuts or is it me?

Dear Gosset,

It's amazing how differently our doctors can respond to these questions. I am 7 weeks, had a TVH with a&p repair and TVT sling. I am 58, thin , and was in physcially great shape when I went in for surgery. At about 6 weeks, my MD said to start easing my way back into a regular exercise routine, and to figure that I would be starting at 30% of what I had been doing prior to surgery and to be prepared to be knocked out by it and to experience some pelvic discomfort. I started working with my physical therapist to get me back into a safe routine of working out and the one thing that was stressed over and over was that breathing properly was going to be one if not the most important determinants of not hurting myself. So my pt continues to work with me on proper breathing and right now, all of my upper body work (I'm just doing 3 lbs for biceps and triceps right now) are done lying on the floor with a focus on breathing correctly, before I get up and have to start dealing with gravity. One of the things that also helps me is to get in the habit of doing mini-kegels each time I exert pressure, which I do in conjunction with breathing out. Getting the rhythm working together helps. I have started going back to my part-time work and while the work itself is sedentary, initially I was lugging around a ton of stuff with me to and from the car. Boy, did I learn my lesson fast! I am divesting, lightening my load, and it is forcing me to also get better organized and to trim my life down to essentials right now, which is a good thing. Anyway, lots of luck and I agree that a call to your GP sounds like a great idea! New Yorker
Unread 09-26-2002, 01:47 PM

I don't think he's nuts. But I also don't think his OK means that you'll feel up to doing everything right away.

I got the OK to get back to riding my horse at 4 weeks (along with "anything else I felt up to doing"). Now, my doctor doesn't ride, so I described a few things for him, just in case he thought riding was "just sitting there while the horse does all the work". Like if I were to bail or fall off - that would be about like jumping down or falling from a height of 6' or so onto hard ground. I asked if I'd jar anything loose, or tear anything. He said no, I would not disembowel myself. "Oh, it'll *hurt*, but you won't damage anything."

So maybe that's where your doctor is coming from - yeah, your muscles are going to be weak and sore, but you're basically healed.
Unread 09-26-2002, 03:44 PM

WOW......I am pampering myself too much????!!!!!!!.....I'm not even lifting a gallon of milk at 3 weeks post op!.......LOLOL....I don't want anything to come "undone".

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register