Options, Options, Options: What do I do? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Options, Options, Options: What do I do? Options, Options, Options: What do I do?

Unread 07-27-2017, 08:41 PM
Options, Options, Options: What do I do?

I'm 45 and perimenopausal. My periods have been a rollercoaster for almost a year. Then, about three months ago I started bleeding virtually non-stop.
After seeing the nurse practitioner in my hometown and getting on anti-depressants, suffering from migraines, hot flashes (not horrible tho), extreme lethargy, mood swings, achiness and soreness....she just checked me off as "Going thru the change of Life!"
2 weeks ago I finally had a mammogram (which was fine) and an ultrasound (which wasn't fine).
All she said was that I had a fibroid on my uteran wall and tiny cyst on my ovary but my uteran wall was abnormally thick. She said I should see the Gyno. FINALLY!!!! Went to a whole other town, hospital and doctor and I had a biopsy. Results should come back next week. (Fingers crossed)
The DOCTOR told me that a normal uterus is between 3 millimeters and 5 millimeters and mine was 18 millimeters thick!!!!! HOLY HANNAH!
She went on to say that she doesn't think it's cancer but we do need to get that lining out. It's not good. She also said that my body is producing too much estrogen and no progesterone and that's why I won't stop bleeding.
Sidenote: I had no idea we as women could produce so much blood. I mean....it's crazy. I could chum the waters of South Africa hunting great whites with all this stuff.
Anyway, the doctor said here are your options:
Behind DOOR #1: a D&C. One day, in and out....a day off work....will maybe take care of it, for how long....no one knows.
DOOR #2: Take medicine for 10 days that will stop the bleeding after which I'll have a heavy period for 7 to 10 days and that might do the trick and get me back in track. If that doesn't work I can either get an IUD...(Door 2.5...ummm, prolly not) or.......enter
DOOR #3: Hysterectomy....one and done. There's no maybes with this one. No more periods.
Every woman I've talked to swears by their decision to have one. They don't regret it.
They feel great.
I certainly don't want to waste time and money on "What If's" with the first 2 Doors.
Note: You should also know that cervical cancer does run in my family and so do blood clots.
But .....if I have a hysterectomy how will it affect ME?
- My energy level: My energy level has completely plummeted the last year. The nurse practitioner did find a Vitamin D deficiency which I am currently on a high dose and it is helping.
- My sex drive: My husband and I have always enjoyed our sex life. I used to chase him around bcuz I wanted it so much. The tides have turned and he chases me. I want to want to but no energy and bleeding so much....I'm just miserable. He is frustrated and quite frankly, so am I. He tries to be supportive but really doesn't get it. I don't blame him....i don't either. He didn't even know what a D&C was before today and he's 51.
I just wish I knew what to expect afterwards if I do this.
I am leaning towards it just so I can stop the bleeding and uncertainty of cancer.
I know y'all can't make the decision for me but any advice, life experience would be so helpful.
Blessings and Peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2017, 05:34 AM
Re: Options, Options, Options: What do I do?

I was given 2 other options too - birth control or an ablation.
At 44, I did not want to add hormones, eventually I would have to stop them again, when I did in my mid 30s it was pretty awful.
Ablation I most likely was not a candidate for after all, with 4 c-sections, my uterus would be thin there. Plus the statistics for women my age, within a few years I'd probably need the hyst anyway.

You can chum the waters and we called mine a crime scene - lol

It came down to quality of life for me. Keep dealing with what I knew how to deal with but be miserable, turn down invitations to things, have to know the bathroom situation everywhere I went, take enough various pads/tampons everywhere, essentially spend the first 2 days on the toilet, sleep terribly for fear of leaking everywhere, needing to get up so many times in the night to changes tampons AND pads.
Or choose major surgery that could result in one of those complications and have a worse unknown to deal with forever (my isssue could have been with the bladder adhering to the c-section scar, resulting in going home with a catheter, did not happen).

During my recovery, i should have had a period, and it was so nice to have no bleeding. Recovery is preferable to that ! The recovery IS rough, it's draining, but as each week passes, I feel better, more normal.

I think for me it was the idea of choosing major surgery that I didn't need to save my life, but quality of life is very important. I could have had 10+ years of dealing with all that bleeding, it made me cry to think about that, so I knew the surgery was right (I removed everything but the ovaries)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register