Anyone who has had an epidural ALONE with nothing else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone who has had an epidural ALONE with nothing else? Anyone who has had an epidural ALONE with nothing else?

Unread 09-26-2002, 01:36 AM
Anyone who has had an epidural ALONE with nothing else?

Hi, just wandering if any of you wonderful gals have had an epidural for your hysterectomy without anything else, including sedatives?

Reason why?? My doctor and I are trying are trying to schedule my surgery, but I'm simply terrified!!!! Not of the actual surgery or recovery, but general anesthesia and narcotics!! I have had a horrible experience in the past with GA, and EVERY narcotic that I've ever tried makes me violently ill, even with anti-nausea medication with it.

One of my co-workers said that when she had her hyst that she only had an epidural with nothing else because she was allergic to almost everything under the sun so her doctor ordered that she have an epidural without anything else. She said she also used the epidural for post op pain relief for 48 hours, and that after they removed the epidural her pain wasn't bad at all and plain 800mg of Motrin did the trick for her.

Have any of you heard of this?? Nothing BUT the epidural? If this is not possible then I'm afraid I can't go through with it! And God knows I need it so bad. I have fibroids with constant bleeding, endometriosis, and adenomyosis. I'm in constant pain!

Any info or personal experiences would be so appreciated!

Gentry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2002, 02:41 AM

Gentry

I can't help you as I had an epidural with a twilight anesthetic, but here is a link to a thread by Linda (Horsewoman).

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=18353

Linda has really detailed her procedure and I hope it helps you.

You could also do a search on epidural or spinal and see what comes up.

Regards
Unread 09-26-2002, 09:34 AM

Hi Gentry100,

I'm with you. I am terrified, not only of general anesthesia, but of sedation as well. You have no idea the battles I have had with my gastrenterologist regarding "sedation" for the upper and lower scopes!!!

After the first battle she's been fine about no sedation for the upper scope but we still do battle about no sedation for the lower scope. She's not been so gracious about no sedation for the lower scope and we've had some real differences of opinion. She wasn't particularly gracious about this last lower scope with no sedation but I think I've finally convinced her.

This is sometiing I would discuss with my gyn surgeon NOW, well BEFORE the surgery. Please keep us informed as this is a subject that I feel quite strongly about and am absolutely a basket case when sedation or anesthesia is pending.

My last surgery was done before they began this practice of your reporting to the hospital the morning of surgery. I doubt that I would be able to force myself to be there the way they do it now.

I was on my way out the door my first scope when the nurses told me I HAD to have sedation. I got there only because my gastro promised me there would be no sedation. Then after promising me no sedation and my cancelling the scope when the nurses told me I HAD to have sedation they called my gastro in to verify what I said and she tried to welch and talk me into sedation. I had to again cancel the scope and climb off the bed and head for the door before she agreed to no sedation. Then she mentioned in her report the difficulty performing the scope due to patient refusing sedation. I strongly reminded her that had she not tried to welch on our agreement I would not have been so upset and most of the gut spasms could have been avoided, that it was her attempting to welch on our agreement that put me in such a twit!

I wish you much luck, both with the surgery and the anesthesia/sedation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2002, 10:07 AM

Hi Gentry,
I also had a terrible experience with GA in the past and that was one of my biggest fears. I was ready to cancel or walk out the door if they insisted on general. With this surgery I was totally aware and awake with both a spinal and epidural for post op pain management. It was the best surgical experience I had. You can read more in my story as to why I had both spinal and epidural. I did have a light versed given to me prior to me going into the O.R. and I all of a sudden told the anesthesiologist that I was feeling dizzy. He said it was the versed and I spoke up and said it was ok for me to be awake. I don't think he gave me anymore versed after that first. You should address your concerns with the anesthesiologist and your dr. Unless you are having a laporoscopic procedure (for that they usually only use general due to the gas they use) you may have a choice for the type of anesthesia. The sedation used with a regional is different from the sedation used for general. And with a regional, the level of sedation can be varied (light--just relaxed, medium-groggy, heavy--sleep through it all). Morphine in an epidural/spinal doesn't have the same circulation--effects are limited to nerve-endings in lower portion of body and drug does not cross brain/blood barrier. I had light sedation previously with a knee surgery and never experienced any nausea but I wanted to be awake for this to see what was causing all the pain. You'd be suprised how many of us on here have been awake.

I don't like narcotics either but did have to have some percocet after the epidural came out the next day. Maybe you can keep it in for 48 hours. You may want to also ask about zofran a newer anti-nausea drug that has been given to cancer patients. It worked a lot better for me than phenerghan or tigan without the drowsiness. Here's a link about epidurals.
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...pinal+epidural

Here's one about nausea
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ghlight=zofran
Unread 09-27-2002, 07:46 PM

I haven't had my surgery yet....but I told my dr that I dreaded being put to sleep, and she told me I could have an epidural, with nothing else if I preferred. But I don't, because my surgery is going to be around 3 hours, and I think I would freak out worse laying there awake for that long than I will by being knocked out...
Unread 09-27-2002, 08:01 PM

Im new here and i hope no one minds me posting my little story here....

I havent had my surgery yet, and i automatically assumed it was a general anesthesia operation.....after reading these posts now i dont know which to prefer..... ive had both,

for my Tubal Ligation i was given an epidural (first one i ever had)
and something to put me to sleep when i woke up i remember i couldnt feel my legs...... it wasnt that bad.

for my diagnostic laproscopic procedure i had the general anesthesia......

has anyone had this procedure under general ? or is it mostly epidurals ??

sorry im getting nervous, the wait is driving me nuts

i see my dr on the 30th then ill get a surgery date for the TAH

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register